Pitt and Syracuse to ACC

tyno

War Eagle's friend
Reaction score
Handicap
kids
WTF!?
As a long-time Pitt fan and huge Big East fan (ncaa basketball), this is a huge disappointment.
All year I look forward to the Pitt vs 'Cuse game, the Big East Championship tournament, and the mass numbers of Big East teams selected into the NCAA tournament. I also look forward to "hating on" the ACC and those pesky Duke and UNC fans. Now the team I love, is dropping out of the conference I love, like a bad habit, and joining a conference that I cannot stand...disheartening to say the least.

Where's the loyalty? I mean c'mon...and now UConn is rumored to be putting in a bid for the ACC as well??? Without these 3 flagship teams, the Big East is nothing! (remember, mostly basketball focused...I really don't follow much college football) Pitt was already scheduled to play Penn State twice a few years from now...so I was happy to renew that rivalry after many drunken arguments with PSU fans, but other than that, I really pay little attention to college football.

Sure...now we can have Pitt vs. Duke every year, 'Cuse vs. UNC and vice versa and etc....
But this only excites me because my cousin and few friends are Duke fans. So we're always bickering back and forth about who is better and which conference is more dominant, etc...But I'm sure not everyone is in that same situation.

Who knows...this could work out for the better, but right now...I'm not too keen on the whole thing. Lately, in college sports, programs that do not pay their athletes (and I will never, every make a case for them to be paid) it has been all about the money.

Here are two links to ESPN to get you caught up on the whole story:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...sy-spell-end-big-east-know-college-basketball

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6988468/acc-accepts-pittsburgh-panthers-syracuse-orange-14-team-league

Its all about the $$$. And while March Madness is great, Football is King. Football is driving every single change in the NCAA conference alignments. There will be 4. ACC, SEC, PAC, and Big10. Hopefully then they dump the BCS and go with something else...

It was all about who was going to survive from the Big 12, Big East and ACC, and it looks like that will be the ACC.

Spiff - that's a really good point and I didn't think about it that way. I just don't get into college football, but I know that it's big-time stuff.
It's just hard for me to understand it since I'm so focused on just the basketball end of things.
Either way...IMO, it sucks and I'm pissed off about it.

I hate this too, and also because I could care less about college football until they get a playoff system, but as a lifelong St. John's fan and Big East basketball fan, this just blows.

Could be worse. Your team could be attempting to join a failing conference, where the nearest team is 9 hours away.

And by that, I mean Iowa State (and Baylor for that matter), seeking to join the Big East. I'm actually not an ISU fan, I'm black and gold, Iowa Hawkeye all the way.

Still, that seems like an incredibly poor choice of conference for ISU. Why would you want to join a conference where 1) the biggest media teams are leaving for the ACC, and 2) the closest team is 9 hours away. Also, if your ISU, your wondering why your team is considering leaving one nearly collapsed conference for another conference that could potentially collapse.

It's pretty dumb.

Could be worse. Your team could be attempting to join a failing conference, where the nearest team is 9 hours away.

And by that, I mean Iowa State (and Baylor for that matter), seeking to join the Big East. I'm actually not an ISU fan, I'm black and gold, Iowa Hawkeye all the way.

Still, that seems like an incredibly poor choice of conference for ISU. Why would you want to join a conference where 1) the biggest media teams are leaving for the ACC, and 2) the closest team is 9 hours away. Also, if your ISU, your wondering why your team is considering leaving one nearly collapsed conference for another conference that could potentially collapse.

It's pretty dumb.

Same goes for TCU jumping to the Big East... that'll likelychange this week though. I think its just hit the fan and will be all over everyone soon!

I'm a WVU guy...waiting to see where we end up in this mess

Being a HUGE Cuse fan this is just unreal. Although it sounds like a lot of people are running from the big east. Should be interesting.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

It's pretty dumb.

Honestly though, what other options do they have? Big East is their only chance at an AQ spot. Big 10 is the only other chance they have, and that definitely isn't happening for ISU and Baylor. I assume they will be the first of many casualties in this changing conference landscape.

Well besides keep the Big 12 alive, but it is looking more and more like OU, OSU, Tech and UT will be headed West.

It's pretty dumb.

Have you checked the distance from Syracuse to the nearest ACC school? Syracuse to College Park MD is not a short trip.

Have you checked the distance from Syracuse to the nearest ACC school? Syracuse to College Park MD is not a short trip.

They're actually close to Boston College.

Besides the way this shapes up you'll see an ACC North / South. Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UConn, RU, Maryland, UVA and Va Tech in the North. Duke, UNC, NCST, Wake, Florida State, Clemson, GA Tech, Miami in the South.

I feel sorry for the smaller schools though (Seton Hall, Georgetown, the Johnnies, Providence, Villanova, etc) that have been with the Big East since the start. It's all dollars and business though.

They're actually close to Boston College.

Besides the way this shapes up you'll see an ACC North / South. Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UConn, RU, Maryland, UVA and Va Tech in the North. Duke, UNC, NCST, Wake, Florida State, Clemson, GA Tech, Miami in the South.

I feel sorry for the smaller schools though (Seton Hall, Georgetown, the Johnnies, Providence, Villanova, etc) that have been with the Big East since the start. It's all dollars and business though.

Oh...you mean that other team the ACC stole from the Big East

Its all about the $$$. And while March Madness is great, Football is King. Football is driving every single change in the NCAA conference alignments. There will be 4. ACC, SEC, PAC, and Big10. Hopefully then they dump the BCS and go with something else...

It was all about who was going to survive from the Big 12, Big East and ACC, and it looks like that will be the ACC.

Spiff is completely right here. The Big East was going to be at a disadvantage with only being an 8-team league for football. It is going to end up with 4 conferences of 16 teams apiece for football, and hopefully a playoff comes after that.

Basketball is much less of a consideration in all of this movement, but adding 2 good basketball programs in Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC will be nice, it will be fun to see Duke visit Syracuse and Pitt for the first time in a few years.

Spiff is completely right here. The Big East was going to be at a disadvantage with only being an 8-team league for football. It is going to end up with 4 conferences of 16 teams apiece for football, and hopefully a playoff comes after that.

Basketball is much less of a consideration in all of this movement, but adding 2 good basketball programs in Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC will be nice, it will be fun to see Duke visit Syracuse and Pitt for the first time in a few years.

Look at it this way, they can always combine with whats going to be left of the BigXII lol

Someone will for sure grab Kansas you would think. Should be some news on the future of the XII tonight or tomorrow, all the regent meetings are today.

And.....the flood gates are officially open. I honestly don't think the Big East will let itself fall apart like the Big 12, its way to strong of a conference in areas other than football. Football has not been carrying the Big East in relevance for at least the last decade. It may end up covering half the U.S geographically speaking but if they add Baylor along with maybe Kansas and Kansas St they will still be the absolute power in basketball along with getting part of the Waco/Dallas Ft Worth, and Kansas City market. They could end up being much stronger in football then they were before all this went down since neither team that left has been worth a can of beans in football since I was in High school.

I'm a Syracuse guy and, while I know it is all money and football driven, it's a sad day or me.

If this is a purely football move, it doesn't do a whole lot for the ACC other than add members. They are bordering on irrelevant in football anyway. The two teams they added do nothing to improve the stature of the league in football. Outside of 2-3 teams that are typically pretty good, and a rotating 2 or 3 others that hover around .500 every year, there is nothing there.

Its just about money... So sad that all of these great conferences are breaking up. Seeing the Big 12 disinegrate is pretty frustrating, but I know Texas will be competitive wherever they go

Back