3 club tourney advice

hammer84

Master Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.9
Ok hackers I need some brain power. I'm playing in a 3 club tourney for our first men's association event in two week. Rules are 3 clubs for the front nine, then switch out to 3 different clubs on the back nine.

I have never played a 3 club tourney but I wanted a sanity check on my though process. I'm thinking 2 hybrid, 7 iron and wedge for front and 3 hybrid, 8 iron and different wedge on back.

My thinking is to putt with the hybrid, greens will be hard to hit so I need a wedge and I picked the iron to fit the par 3 and possible approach shots after hitting a hybrid off the tee. Not much sand and back nine is shorter than the front. Front has 3 par 5s.

I know it depends a lot on the lay out but I'm look for holes in my thinking ,like is putting with a hybrid nuts.

Wow, this sounds like fun, but a little challenging :)

On your back nine, wouldn't you want a longer iron since you're teeing off with a shorter hybrid?

I would take a look at the hole yardages. See if there are a majority of par 4s that would leave you with a similar distance to the green, and take that club as a second, 7 iron to me seems like too short of a club...

I didn't end up playing in the tourney but I considered this last year and I decided on 3i, 9i, Putter

Why a putter? Well because that is 50% of the game, why try and use something different. Between the 3i and 9i there was no par 3 I couldn't reach easily, and the 9i, I can open up for shots around the green, and it is also great for pitches and chips.

2 or 3 hybird (or 3 iron, partially because it is easier to putt), 5 iron, 9 iron, those are my choice if I were in this tournament

On your back nine, wouldn't you want a longer iron since you're teeing off with a shorter hybrid?

Back nine is pretty short. There is only one hole I will have trouble reaching with hybrid/8 iron. I only use a driver on two the holes now ( back nine ). I have kicked around using the 6 iron.

rbelbin - Great advice on the putter ! I can only use it for one nine and it is bugging me. I'll need to rethink and figure which nine to use it. I also need to rethink the wedge, a 9 iron maybe a better choice.

Depends on how far you hit the ball. And I agree with looking at the yardages on each nine. Pla the front and back nine holes out in your mind, or on a piece of paper would prob help more. This sounds like fun, cant wait to hear how you do

what course is it? maybe we can find a scorecard online?

And if you're comfortable, give us some reference yardages on your clubs?

If not a putter I can putt pretty well by blading a SW. So I'd go with something like this if I had to switch out...
3i, 9i, Putter - front
4i, 7i, SW - back

If the back is shorter that is the way I'd go.

Ok hackers I need some brain power. I'm playing in a 3 club tourney for our first men's association event in two week. Rules are 3 clubs for the front nine, then switch out to 3 different clubs on the back nine.

I have never played a 3 club tourney but I wanted a sanity check on my though process. I'm thinking 2 hybrid, 7 iron and wedge for front and 3 hybrid, 8 iron and different wedge on back.

My thinking is to putt with the hybrid, greens will be hard to hit so I need a wedge and I picked the iron to fit the par 3 and possible approach shots after hitting a hybrid off the tee. Not much sand and back nine is shorter than the front. Front has 3 par 5s.

I know it depends a lot on the lay out but I'm look for holes in my thinking ,like is putting with a hybrid nuts.

I'd reverse the 7I and 8I, but otherwise it sounds like a reasonable plan. :D

I didn't end up playing in the tourney but I considered this last year and I decided on 3i, 9i, Putter

Why a putter? Well because that is 50% of the game, why try and use something different. Between the 3i and 9i there was no par 3 I couldn't reach easily, and the 9i, I can open up for shots around the green, and it is also great for pitches and chips.

You also only use the putter for at most the last 20 yards of each hole. That leaves anywhere up to 500 yards per hole where you have given yourself few options. The problem is that the putter is one dimensional. I've never seen a person who chose the putter in a 3 club competition do as well as those who went for versatility. You give yourself 50% more choice for shot selection if you leave the putter out of the equation. And it takes only a short practice session to get pretty comfortable putting with a hybrid. I've used both a hybrid and a 5W for putting in such a tournament, and I won the one where I used the 5W. :D

You also only use the putter for at most the last 20 yards of each hole. That leaves anywhere up to 500 yards per hole where you have given yourself few options. The problem is that the putter is one dimensional.

True about the putter. But on the course I play on there are no par 5s I can not reach with 3/4i, 3/4i,9i. All the par 4s I would play are between 330 and 400y. Being able to hit the 3i 220 or so means I shouldn't have to worry about hitting it into the green on any of those holes. Plus I am a terrible putter, so I have to try and get the amount of strokes I take on the green down the best I can. It really depends on the course you are playing. Oh and I don't own a hybrid...

Last edited:
Here is the scorecard. I'm going to walk thru each hole on paper tonight and get back the thread with my choices. Thanks again for al the advice.

For me, I'd probably take my #4 Utility, 9i, Putter for one half, and 3H, 6i, PW for the other half. But the #4 Utility plays like a 5 wood so good distance for whichever half had the longer holes where it would come in handy.

Here is the scorecard. I'm going to walk thru each hole on paper tonight and get back the thread with my choices. Thanks again for al the advice.

With 3 par 5s on the front, I would probably go with the same clubs you mentioned in your first post. I think it would be easier putting with your hybrids on the longer putts then blading a wedge.

I went with 3 wood, 4 hybrid, and a 9 iron. I putted with the 4 hybrid. The 9 iron is a decent sub for the wedge and with the 3 wood I was able to play the longer par 4's and par 5's without giving up too much distance. Really comes down to where you are strong in your game. I have a decent short game so I can use my 9I pretty comfortably around the greens.

I think your planned suggestion is good. If it makes you comfortable then that is what you should go with.

Make sure you have fun and enjoy it. It really is a great experience.

I am going to be playing in one of these 3 club tournament in about 3 weeks, and wanted to seek advice from the THP peeps.

The tournament will be only 3 clubs, and not 3 and a putter. So I was thinking these 3:
4h, 7iron, 50* wedge.

I can hit my 4h 220+ and pretty straight, so that is more than enough to get me within a 7 iron on all par 4's and even within 50* wedge on a few. Par 5's will be 3 shot holes 4h, 4h, 7i/50*. And the par 3's usually range from 135 to 200y.

I'll put with the 4H as well, and lets face it, I can't putt anyway, so not having a putter shouldn't hurt me too much.

What are your thoughts?

I wish I had some good advice but I've never played in one of these (although it sounds like fun). I did recently see that Jason Dufner plays against his buddies (and usually wins) at his home course (Auburn, AL) with just a 7 iron!! Seems like the 4H (220+) will be plenty of club on most holes you'll play

I am going to be playing in one of these 3 club tournament in about 3 weeks, and wanted to seek advice from the THP peeps.

The tournament will be only 3 clubs, and not 3 and a putter. So I was thinking these 3:
4h, 7iron, 50* wedge.

I can hit my 4h 220+ and pretty straight, so that is more than enough to get me within a 7 iron on all par 4's and even within 50* wedge on a few. Par 5's will be 3 shot holes 4h, 4h, 7i/50*. And the par 3's usually range from 135 to 200y.

I'll put with the 4H as well, and lets face it, I can't putt anyway, so not having a putter shouldn't hurt me too much.

What are your thoughts?

My coach in HS used to play with just a hybrid an iron and a wedge. I personally would say use the 2 hybrid, a 6/7 iron, and a 54. It is easy to take distance off a club by choking up or taking less swing but you cant do much to hit a club longer then you can hit it.

My coach in HS used to play with just a hybrid an iron and a wedge. I personally would say use the 2 hybrid, a 6/7 iron, and a 54. It is easy to take distance off a club by choking up or taking less swing but you cant do much to hit a club longer then you can hit it.

I hit my 4h as good or better than the 2h, so I will take that for sure. The only hole that worries me at all is the first. 400y uphill par 4. Worst case will be 4h/4h on that one. I'll keep thinking and if anyone else has any ideas let me know.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

This sounds like a blast, belbs, I like your plan if you can hit that 4H 220 and straight I would say use that for sure.

Bring the clubs you are most confident with then work on 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4 swings with each club to learn your distances. Practice putting with one of them too. I played an entire round with a 6 iron once and it was really fun to figure out the shots.

I've never seen one in person but on Ebay you will see them from time to time - an adjustable golf club. It's adjustable for loft via a knob on one side with little markings on the side to line up for X club etc..I'm sure they play like crap but the first time I saw one I thought it would be great in a tournament where they restrict you to one club.

index_marks_full-head.jpg

I would do 3h, maybe 6-7 iron and PW. I would love to do this sometime but I've never seen anything like it advertised.

I say hybrid. 8 iron and your 100 yrs club.
Tee off with hybrid, 8 iron can be used for bump n runs around the green, and the 100 yrs club can be bladed to putt with since it is closer to a putter lengthQ

In high school we practiced a lot with three clubs. Def helps to work on creativity and shot shaping

Back