Forgiving wedge for approach shots?

Jonnyy8699

Reaction score
I currently have a huge gap in my set. I have Taylormade Rac OS irons, 3-PW, and a 56* sand wedge. My pitching wedge is 45*, so I have a 11* gap. I can't seem to find a matching approach wedge to match my set, so I need a wedge to fill the gap.

My problem is I find myself playing my pitching wedge from way farther in than I need to. I hit it about 120, but I can only hit my 56* about 80. And even when I am about 80 yards out, I find myself leaning towards hitting my pitching wedge because I love the forgiveness and consistency of it. I sometimes tend to unintentionally flop my wedge on full swings, and its a muscle-back so its obviously much much less forgiving.

So I need to get a 50* wedge. I demo'd the vokey, as it is the obvious favorite of wedges, but with the 50* it is hard to keep accurate and distance is inconsistent, and mis-hits are much more present than with my pitching wedge, as I am an 18 capper. So does anyone have a good, forgiving, probably cavity-back wedge that comes in 50*, that can also spin it a good amount? I was thinking the Ping Anser wedge, because of the great feel and it also has a somewhat cavity back. Thanks for your input!

try the cleveland CG 16 they are cavity back wedge quite bang for buck too

Also try Cleveland 588's. Very nice and forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been gaming 54 & 58 degree CG14's for a couple seasons. They are forgiving and will stop a ball nicely... Someone had a used 50 degree CG 14 on the THP Marketplace last week...

CG14/16 and the Mizuno JPX wedges would be right up your alley.

The Cleveland CG series are very forgiving, and nice to hit.

I game the Eidolon wedges. They're very forgiving, and feel great to hit. http://www.scorgolf.com/

They don't have the cavity back look, but they play like one. Very easy to control, and put spin on the ball.

I'm not a fan of the Vokey wedges, I can't hit them well at all.

Anyone have an opinion on getting the A wedge from the Taylormade TP CB Forged set?

CG16, the GW from your iron set, and SCOR.

I've got the CG15, best wedges I have ever hit. I need the forgiveness as I'm a decent but not a great ball striker and I find I have mishit very few approach shots since gaming this wedge. Also remember to factor in what bounce you want. I ended up getting two 50* wedges, one with low bounce and one with high bounce as my course is either very firm or very soft depending on the weather. I have found though that I am using the lower bounce wedge more often under all conditions.

Another vote for a CG16 48*. It has a large face, small cavity, and is very forgiving and provides consistent distances.

I like the suggestions in this thread so far. A gw from your current set, or I'd look at SCOR.

I dig the CB AW. It's nice to have a club with a hot face and touch of forgiveness in my arsenal for those 110-120 yd approach shots. I'd venture to say it's my favorite iron! I like the club so much that I got 4-AW (instaed of 3-PW) on the set of Callaway RAZR X Forged irons I just bought :)

I would suggest to you that you need to consider not only what degree wedge you purchase but also what Bounce you get on it. Buying a wedge with the wrong bounce will make it increasingly difficult to use.

Generally a wedge with a lower bounce will be good on courses where the conditions are quite firm. A bounce of around 6 or 7 is ideal here. If your looking for something to suit most conditions aim for a bounce of around 10. Finally if you are someone who tends to take a lot of turf with your wedge shots, you should aim for something with a higher bounce 12+ ideally.

The two wedges in my bag (that aren't in my iron set) are a 50* CG16 with 12 degrees of bounce and 60* Vokey with 7 degree's of bounce. That setup works quite nicely for me.

CG14 is pretty easy and for full shots I prefer it over the CG15. The Niblick is also pretty much money from that distance.

But for 100 out I am using the AW with the Rapture V2 set, and I hit that with more accuracy than any wedge I have used.

The new Ping forged are expensive, but they kicked my trusty Mizzys out of the bag

to be honest i don't honestly know how or why ppl consider wedges more or less forgiving than others. if you have problems hitting the sweet spot on a wedge, you'd be better off spending $75 bucks on range balls and hit only wedges than you would be to invest in a new 'more forgiving' wedge. you don't need a new club from a 100 yards, you need more PRACTICE from 100 yards.

Another vote for a CG16 48*. It has a large face, small cavity, and is very forgiving and provides consistent distances.

I have a CG16 48* wedge & it works nicely as my 120 yard club. I find it very forgiving.

I recall JB saying he liked the forgiveness of the Mizuno JPX wedge.

I have a horrid consistency on hitting my wedges off the toe, hell my CG14 is close to 3 years old and the face looks great, haha. As well as I've done this past few years with the wedges, I would call that pretty forgiving.

Another vote for CG16 wedges. Pretty big hitting area and a little cavity for forgiveness.

Back