Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

I got a Flip, and every time I have been on the range with it, it's has been raining. Hoping to get some videos up soon.

I hope you do too, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

One thing I have noticed that is of note for me when using the Heavy Wood over my Superfast is that I feel like I am standing closer to the ball, a bit more on top of it. Not sure what has caused me to do this, whether it's the shorter length of the club or what.

With my Superfast, I have more of a driver type setup with a sweeping type swing. With the Heavy Wood I feel that I am more on top of the ball. I am getting great results with it, but just thought I would post this up to see if anyone else has noticed anything similar.

Anyone?

One thing I have noticed that is of note for me when using the Heavy Wood over my Superfast is that I feel like I am standing closer to the ball, a bit more on top of it. Not sure what has caused me to do this, whether it's the shorter length of the club or what.

With my Superfast, I have more of a driver type setup with a sweeping type swing. With the Heavy Wood I feel that I am more on top of the ball. I am getting great results with it, but just thought I would post this up to see if anyone else has noticed anything similar.

Anyone?

I stand my normal distance away from the ball, just a touch closer than I do with my 3 wood.

Anyone?

W.E., I agree to a certain extent. When I swung (horribly, mind you) my Callaway X fw, I setup like a driver. I feel with the HW and the slightly shorter shaft, I don't play it quite so far forward and not quite so wide of a stance. This makes me feel that while I'm trying to keep a wide-arc swing, I stay more compact.

I stand my normal distance away from the ball, just a touch closer than I do with my 3 wood.

same here. Allthought I think for some reason when I hit my other 3W against this, I end up closer to the ball with my other 3W, I'll have to check to verify though

after watching the videos. the sound from the fw wood is amazing.. i like the piercing sound, and thanks to all the testers for taking the time to make the videos!!

Boccieri Update From Course/range this weekend.

So after getting out to the range this weekend, Ive finally conceded that this 3W is just not going to be as long as my Burner. I kept wanting it to be, but its just not happening. Right now the consistency of the club has produced better results than the Burner, and I will gladly take that any day of the week.

PLayed Saturday had a chance to hit some balls beforehand. Target was "the hill" which my buddy said has to be just shy of 230.

Hit 5 balls with the Boccieri off of the tee, 4 of them were straight, one was a big slicer. The 4 good balls went probably 10-15 yards short of the hill. With the exception of the slicer, the good 4 all had lower ball flights than what I would later experience from the Burner. Ive been tinkering with tee height an Im guessing I havent quite found the spot yet.

Hit 5 balls with the Burner off of the tee, 4 of them went straight at the hill, with 3 of them clearing it, and one of them hitting the top of the hill. The 3 that cleared it were probably closer to 240-245ish (carry, couldnt see where the ball ended up cause of the hill). The one that went astray with a big high pull that landed so far left I have no idea how far it went lol. As previously mentioned the ball flight was very high with this, so on this wet day im guessing the ball wasnt rolling far after hitting the turf.

On to the course, forced myself to hit Driver from the tee to work some things out, but the plan was to use the Boccieri on approaches for par 5's from the deck. That plan didnt turn out as well as I kep hitting tee balls into the woods lol. I was able to use the Boccieri on 2 approach shots.

#1-Par 5 sitting in fairway, 240 to go into the wind. Was pretty sure I had no shot at making it, but gave it a try anyhow. Nice low penetrating ball flight that managed to get some roll and I only ended up 15 yards short right in the middle of the fairway still.

#2-Par 5 sitting in first cut of rough. 235ish to go, got under this one a bit and it ended up short and sliced a bit towards the end so I was off to the right. Guessing I was about 45 yards out still to go.

Hoping to get out to the range some day this week before the trip to Florida, will report back!

after watching the videos. the sound from the fw wood is amazing.. i like the piercing sound, and thanks to all the testers for taking the time to make the videos!!
Matty it sounds even better in person

Boccieri Update From Course/range this weekend.

So after getting out to the range this weekend, Ive finally conceded that this 3W is just not going to be as long as my Burner. I kept wanting it to be, but its just not happening. Right now the consistency of the club has produced better results than the Burner, and I will gladly take that any day of the week.

PLayed Saturday had a chance to hit some balls beforehand. Target was "the hill" which my buddy said has to be just shy of 230.

Hit 5 balls with the Boccieri off of the tee, 4 of them were straight, one was a big slicer. The 4 good balls went probably 10-15 yards short of the hill. With the exception of the slicer, the good 4 all had lower ball flights than what I would later experience from the Burner. Ive been tinkering with tee height an Im guessing I havent quite found the spot yet.

Hit 5 balls with the Burner off of the tee, 4 of them went straight at the hill, with 3 of them clearing it, and one of them hitting the top of the hill. The 3 that cleared it were probably closer to 240-245ish (carry, couldnt see where the ball ended up cause of the hill). The one that went astray with a big high pull that landed so far left I have no idea how far it went lol. As previously mentioned the ball flight was very high with this, so on this wet day im guessing the ball wasnt rolling far after hitting the turf.

On to the course, forced myself to hit Driver from the tee to work some things out, but the plan was to use the Boccieri on approaches for par 5's from the deck. That plan didnt turn out as well as I kep hitting tee balls into the woods lol. I was able to use the Boccieri on 2 approach shots.

#1-Par 5 sitting in fairway, 240 to go into the wind. Was pretty sure I had no shot at making it, but gave it a try anyhow. Nice low penetrating ball flight that managed to get some roll and I only ended up 15 yards short right in the middle of the fairway still.

#2-Par 5 sitting in first cut of rough. 235ish to go, got under this one a bit and it ended up short and sliced a bit towards the end so I was off to the right. Guessing I was about 45 yards out still to go.

Hoping to get out to the range some day this week before the trip to Florida, will report back!

im excited to hear how much roll you get in florida with it

Was able to get caught up again. It's not easy with as much info you guys are putting out there!

Matty, the sound from the video doesnt even do it justice. This club is one of the best sounding fairway woods I've ever hit.
im excited to hear how much roll you get in florida with it
Right now, it's been so wet that most of the times it just gets caught up in the wet grass. On the dryer days, I have seen some serious rollout, adding an extra 20ish yards on to the drive. I said in my initial review from the driving range, that when it drys out here in Florida, the trajectory that the ball has off the club will provide some great roll out. I have seen a distance loss (about10-15 yards) on carry from my Superfast, but the rollout from the ball flight more than makes up for it. Cant wait till the fairways dry up, and the afternoon showers every afternoon stop.

Was able to get caught up again. It's not easy with as much info you guys are putting out there!

Hopefully will have some good videos up this evening. Not supposed to rain this afternoon, will finally be able to put the Flip to work.

Update

Conditions: 83* F, Partly cloudy, and wind out of the east at about 10 mph.
Balls Played: Vision UVX3 and White X3.
Purpose of testing: Comparison of shots hit off the tee with the heavy 3w vs. a driver. Also any other shots where a 3w is normally called for.

Well I got out for another nine yesterday, and was glad to find that the course was almost empty again, so I had all the time in the world to make videos. My ball striking overall was pretty good yesterday, but a double bogey on nine gave me a 41.

The results of hitting the heavy 3w along with my driver on each hole where hitting a 3w might be a good option was that I hit all but two fairways. One was a bad block on hole #2(video got messed up somehow, sorry) which put me in jail under a group of trees, and the second was my fault because I lined up left expecting a cut, and it stayed straight, flirting with some OB markers.

I did get a golden opportunity to hit the heavy 3w off the deck on the 557yd par five 7th, which led to my only birdie of the day. The videos tell the story about that one.

On #9, a 336yd par4, I hit the Boccieri only off the tee, which put me in great position for a second shot. Playing into the wind it still went over 200 yds, leaving 130 left to the pin, where I hit my PW into a pond 15yds behind the green. Oh well, it happens.

Anyway here are the videos of how it went down: Sorry about audio quality the wind kind of made it hard to hear some of my comments.

Hole 3 (354yd par4) Tee shot

Hole 3 Result

Hole #4 (398yd par4)Tee Shot

Hole 4 result

Hole #6 (320yd par4) Tee Shot

Hole #6 result
[video=youtube;FzgDowvKo-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzgDowvKo-I&feature=related[/video]

Hole #7 (557yd par5) Fairway Shot

Hole #7 Result

Hole #7 Birdie Op (made the putt)
[video=youtube;SnUA-whuikA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUA-whuikA&NR=1[/video]

Hole #9 (336yd par4) Tee Shot
[video=youtube;66lB-0hyl4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lB-0hyl4Y[/video]

Hole #9 Result

haha just put up a bunch more for you to wade through.

Great videos 3B, love 'em.

Getting some range time in today, really want to focus in on working the ball. Last week I was hitting a low "stinger" type of shot, and want to see if it was a one time shot, or if I can hit in consistent on the range. Also want to see how well I can draw the ball, as I usually hit this club with a fade. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Plus, I got the camera in tow, so will have some videos up.

Great videos 3B, love 'em.

Getting some range time in today, really want to focus in on working the ball. Last week I was hitting a low "stinger" type of shot, and want to see if it was a one time shot, or if I can hit in consistent on the range. Also want to see how well I can draw the ball, as I usually hit this club with a fade. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Plus, I got the camera in tow, so will have some videos up.

Thanks, I have been noticing a strange pattern with heavy 3w. Twice now I have hit the heavy 3w kind of poorly on the range, nothing but slices and big fades, then on the course I hit it much better. That is exactly the opposite of what I'm used to.

I did accidentally hit a stinger type of shot that you saw on the #7 fairway vid, I wish I could hit those on purpose when I need them. lol

Was able to get to the range last Friday as well as play a round on Saturday morning. Results? Read on....

Range: 85 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, slight breeze in the face.

Started with a few Tour Striker Pro 7i shots to warm up and get my wrists acting right.
Moved straight to the BGH3w. Tried to swing with good tempo and not "kill it". Most shots were fairly straight with a touch of fade at the end. Have to focus very hard on swinging in-to-out to get this club to draw. Also hit more than a few a touch fat due to hanging back on my right side.
According to the range signs I was getting about 220 yds. carry and about 10-15 more roll. More on this later...
Once again I seem to get the same distance off the deck or off a tee with this club? That seems odd to me.
Good range session overall. Still very happy with its performance.

Saturday round: Same weather as yesterday on the range. Winds fairly calm.
Ball played - Bridgestone e6

Used the BGH3w as my driver for the round. Also, GolfShot was working so I could GPS measure some of my tee shots and off the deck shots so I was happy about that.
Was unhappy that I had to pair up with 2 other guys because I really wanted to compare distances with my Cleveland '09 Launcher 3w and the BGH3w so was hoping to play solo. Oh well, some other time soon hopefully.
Only missed 2 fairways so very happy with that. One was a push right and the other a pull left. One miss (right) was off the first tee because I was cold. No range to warm up at this course. Misses with this club are very forgiving, never a hard slice or hook.
Not very happy with my distances I was getting. Longest tee shot of the day = 230 yds. Shortest = 160 yds. (teed up just a bit too high and popped one up, still went straight though). I was averaging anywhere from around 205-220 yds. off the tee and off the deck. Even tried to "kill it" a few times and would only gain maybe 5-10 yds.
Very happy with all of my fairway shots with the BGH3w. Every one stayed in the fairway and all were pretty consistently straight. Just a smooth tempo swing and "hit the ball first" mentality for me to get my weight through works well for me.
I don't have a play by play for each hole since I was paired up with these guys but overall was very satisfied with the BGH3w's performance. I do not mind sacrificing a bit of distance for a lot of consistency. Shot a 45 on the front and a 41 on the back. Usually shoot lower on the front than on the back on this course but putting killed me. 35 putts total with 2 3 putts...

Thats always a good thing lol.

Sweet updates guys!

Im heading back to work but should have time to get a range session in this afternoon hopefully, is it bad that while im at work im thinking about the sweet arse sound this club makes?

Date- 9/11/2011
Course Conditions- 70* 5-10mph breeze out of the west, fairways very wet from watering them overnight
Testing Purpose- Overall Performance
Range Session and 18 Holes Par 71

Hey everybody I just got back a little bit ago from the course and it was a great day. The weather was perfect, the course wasn't to busy, and I hit everything well. I shot a +1 36 on the front and +6 42 on the back for a 78. I had plenty of time to hit the range before my round and got a quick video of the Heavy Wood in action. I hit the first shot a little fat and second to last shot fat, all others were really good IMO. Mostly high and straight and some slight draws which is unusual for the Heavy Wood. Here is that video

I wanted to touch on the shaft of the Heavy Wood since Ive had quite a bit more time to play since mentioning it early on in this thread. The stock shaft in the Heavy Wood is the Aldila NVS 75gram and mine is a Stiff. The NVS is suppose to have the same unmatched performance and incredible feel of the NV but with a slightly higher launch profile and a more responsive tip for those seeking a higher ball flight. To be honest I was not a big fan on the NV, it just didn't feel good to me at all, the NVS is a entire different feel IMO, it feels more stable, not to whippy which I thought the NV was. I am seeing the higher ball flight out of the NVS and I love it, it doesn't balloon, it just gets up quick and flattens out then drops down at a very steep angle, it lands so soft on the greens. I think this shaft is a GREAT match to the Heavy Wood head, it really never feels like its out of control or cant keep up. I think they did their homework when pairing these together.

Durability is something I look for in every club I play. I wanted to mention how durable the Heavy Wood has been so far. On the range in the video I posted above the very first shot I hit fat and actually hit it high on the face right where the paint of the crown meets the face, it didn't leave a mark. The chrome/polished sole is also holding up great, a couple minor brush marks but you get those on any club on the market from any OEM. I was extremely worried the sole would not hold up worth a darn but I was wrong and its just another strong point with this club.

The grip is another part of this club I was worried about when I first received it for testing. It is your standard "Tour Velvet" type grip which I normally dont like due to them slipping in my hands allot! I'm not sure if its the etch pattern on the grip or a different type of rubber but the Boccieri Golf grip is tacky, allot tackier than a "Golf Pride" tour velvet. I usually play NDMC Midsize on all my clubs but this grip is thicker than a normal size grip, not quite midsize but bigger than standard, I have no reason to change it at the moment. Now that I have touched on a couple things I wanted to on to the course we go!

Shot 1- 295 Yard Par 4 dogleg left, As I have mentioned plenty of times in my reviews/updates my stock shot with the Heavy Wood is straight or a slight fade, today was a different story, everything was a slight draw or straight. No matter what shot shape the club is producing it is consistent for the round. I pulled the Heavy Wood and was as confident as ever with it walking up to the tee box, after hitting it on the range I had no reason not to be. I hit a beautiful high draw right down the middle just past the dogleg, the trajectory of this shot was absolutely perfect IMO. This set me up with a 50*xFT into the green, stuck that to 15 feet and 2 putted for par. I got this tee shot and result on video so here it is.

Shot 2- 200 Yard Par 3 with the wind in my face, it played about 5-10 yards longer today with the wind. I pulled the Heavy Wood and stepped up to the tee and tried to visualize my shot(3/4 swing trying to keep it lower) and picked my target which was 10 feet left of the flag since it slopes back to the right toward the pin, I hit a beautiful mid trajectory draw that I thought was going to land left center green right where I picked out, I flew the green, it didn't hit the green and roll off the back like I had happen before, flew it in the air which shocked me with the wind in my face and the 3/4 swing I took. I chipped up to around 2 feet and lipped out my par putt and made bogey. Here is a picture of the result of that tee shot and a video of the tee shot, I really wanted to capture the sound with this one.
911par3result.jpg

Shot 3- Par 5 480 yards today. Sorry no picture or video on this shot but it was a beauty as well. I hit my driver perfect dead center of the fairway and had just over 200 yards left to the green, I was on a severe slop with the ball about 6-8 inches above my feet, I chocked down almost to the bottom of the grip and aimed over the right front green side bunker since I knew this shot was going to draw, hit it great, high draw that landed on the front left fringe. I chipped up to 3 foot and had a nasty down hill right to left putt, I sunk it for birdie, I dont have a doubt in my mind if I didn't hit the Heavy Wood I would not of had a chance to birdie this hole today.

Shot 4- Hole 15 Par 4 403 yards slight dogleg right. I hit a great drive on this hole but on the draw back into the fairway it caught a branch and dropped straight down leaving me 200 yards exactly to the hole, had a slight breeze in my face on this shot as well. The ball was sitting in the first cut of rough and was sitting up nicely, I was debating on whether or not to hit my Rescue11 4/21* or the Heavy Wood but decided on the Heavy Wood and boy am I glad I did, high and straight right at the flag, landed front center and rolled up nicely right behind the pin, missed the birdie putt and made par, slippery right to left putt though so I wasn't to disappointed missing the birdie, I will let the video do the talking.

Shot 5- Hole 18 Par 5 550 Yards dogleg left at around 250-260, I pulled my drive left and ended up in the trees, I had a opening straight ahead but I had to keep it low and make sure I cleared the creek, I have been wanting to try this shot more often with the Heavy Wood and this was the perfect opportunity, I put the ball back in my stance and concentrated on a short back swing and holding off my finish, I hit this shot OK, not as great as I would like but I kept it low under the trees and cleared the creek and that left me in the left side of the fairway with a PW into the green, I was wanting to run it up allot closer thats why I wasn't thrilled about the result but it got me out of trouble so I am happy with it. Hit my wedge to the front of the green missed the birdie putt and made par. 78 for the day.

I'm sorry that I am starting to sound like a broken record but the Heavy Wood is great, it performs 99% of the time I pull it out of the bag. Its forgiving, good distance, amazing sound, amazing looks, great feel, it has it all. I hope you enjoyed the review and until next time, hit em straight! 10YardDraw

Just wanted to bump this one since I just got back from the course and it was closed since they are plugging the greens today, all I could do is putt and chip, range was shutdown as well for the day. Bummed I didnt get to hit the Heavy Wood

Awesome updates 10yard. Really enjoying your progression with the Heavy Wood!. Sounds like it is really helping your game!

Awesome updates 10yard. Really enjoying your progression with the Heavy Wood!. Sounds like it is really helping your game!

Thanks ghsace I appreciate it, It is def helping my game, it has put me in SO MANY great positions either off the tee leading to a perfect 2nd shot into the green or hitting a longer par 3 in 1 all the way to hitting a par 5 in 2, it just works.

9/12/11 Boccieri Heavy 3 Wood, Driving Range
90*, Slight breeze, very dry conditions on the range.

Close up video, with a little less than a full swing. Nice and easy, making good contact with the ball. I love this shot, as I get great distance with it, and it is very, very consistent for me.

Another close up video, this is my "stinger" type shot with the Heavy Wood. Ball slightly in back of stance, choke down on the club, and really hit down into the ball. The last shot on this video, I topped the crap out of the ball. It was bad, bad and ugly.

Full video here, again of a swing that's a little less than full. Was really getting the ball out there, and again, just such a consistent shot. This has been great for me, as I have always been so erratic with a 3 Wood.

A full video of the low, "stinger" type shot. Bad angle, so you cant see the ball position all to well. But keeping the ball a bit back of the stance. I was glad to see this wasnt a one time wonder with me hitting this shot last week. I was seeing some great distance with this shot, straight down the range, with a ball flight no higher than 15 yards or so. Really nice to have this shot at my disposal, especially on those windy days, or for heavily wooded course and an errant tee shot.

Overall it was a great range session with the Heavy Wood. I love the tempo I get when swinging this club, and as I have said previously, this is now my "warm up" club. Never in my life would I have thought I would use a 3 wood to warm up with. Finally had some nice weather to get some videos, even though the range was dried out something serious.

On another note, with the range being dry, I was finally seeing that nice roll out that I had been expecting to see from the ball flight. It was a thing of beauty. I hit only off the deck today, just really working on getting it more dialed in. Have I mentioned how nice it is to swing this club?

First time for videos with the flip, hope the come out alright, looking forward to doing more!

Great update WE, really enjoyed the videos, you really look like you have a powerful swing and really get down through the ball. Great job man. Ive been working on that little stinger with my 5 wood, not as easy to do as it is with a 3wood but im getting there

Great stuff guys! Thanks for posting the vids WE, I second what 10yd said, really nice swing.

I have a question for the other testers, have any of you, besides SS I think, had anyone else try the Boccieri 3w? I have explained to quite a few people about how I'm testing the heavy 3w for THP, they all think that's cool, but so far not one person was interested in trying it out. I have been wanting to see how someone who knows nothing about this club would do with it, but so far no takers. Maybe if I taped it up and told them it was a new prototype from (fill in your favorite) OEM, they would be more interested?

Back