Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Nice write up 10yard. Good info as always.

Quick question. Do you carry a hybrid? Obviously the Heavy Wood has worked out great for you...do you think that carrying the 5 wood benefits you more than carrying, say, a 3 hybrid?

I've always preferred my hybrid over a 5 wood, and am interested in the heavy hybrid, but if the 5 wood is just as good for me as the 3 has been, then I may need to re-think my setup.
Thanks WE, yes I carry a Rescue11 4/21* Hybrid, The distance is similiar but the Heavy Wood is about 10 yards longer. I will not take the hybrid out of the bag, there are shots that I use it for all the time over the 5 wood, it all depends on the shot and what I want to do. I think the Heavy Hybrid would be great, if its anything like the Heavy Wood it has to be.

Great update as usual 10yd! Thanks for the shaft info, I didn't know a thing about this shaft, and honestly didn't even think of looking it up. Duh!
I probably would not have have chosen this shaft based on the info you gave, but it actually does work out well with this club.

Great update as usual 10yd! Thanks for the shaft info, I didn't know a thing about this shaft, and honestly didn't even think of looking it up. Duh!
I probably would not have have chosen this shaft based on the info you gave, but it actually does work out well with this club.

Thanks BBB, I wonder if Boccieri Golf had them tweak the shaft in any way or if it is just a stock NVS with a different paint scheme. It does work really well with this club.

I think in one of Boccieri's videos he mentions he does specific tipping to support the heavier head...

I will have to see if I can find it

i have seen a couple of comments about not having to adjust your swing for this club which seems a bit strange if its weighted differently to the other clubs.

can anyone confirm that their swing is the same? or what adjustments they have made? also, if you know your swing speed i would be interested to see if the slower swings needed less adjustment to the faster guys.

thnx

i have seen a couple of comments about not having to adjust your swing for this club which seems a bit strange if its weighted differently to the other clubs.

can anyone confirm that their swing is the same? or what adjustments they have made? also, if you know your swing speed i would be interested to see if the slower swings needed less adjustment to the faster guys.

thnx

I swing it just the same as I do any other club in my bag. The weighting makes you put a good smooth swing on it, at first I was thinking I would probably have to swing a little harder but in fact its just the opposite, a nice easy swing gets the best results. Im not sure on my SS, driver distance avg is about 250, get some out there 270-280 sometimes when I crush one and the ground is hard

thnx

I haven't had to adjust my swing at all with the Heavy Wood. I've posted before on this, and will say it again, this club gets my swing in tempo, ad find it quite beneficial to hit this club/warm up with it, and really gets me in sync with my swing.

I find that with the Heavy Wood, if I try to swing harder, my results aren't consistent. The technology that Boccieri put in to this, basically makes the swing effortless, as the back weighting is designed to get a square face on the ball at contact. If I over swing, and try to crush it, the ball will spray all over the place.

One of my favorite shots with this is a nice, easy 3/4 swing. It's reliable, and I know where it's going to go. I may sacrifice some distance with an easier swing, but I'll take it in play rather than OB any day.

Also, my swing speed with my driver is on average around 105.

I wish he would go into more detail about the tipping, what he wanted to achieve(ball flight) and exactly what they did.

I swing it just the same as I do any other club in my bag. The weighting makes you put a good smooth swing on it, at first I was thinking I would probably have to swing a little harder but in fact its just the opposite, a nice easy swing gets the best results. Im not sure on my SS, driver distance avg is about 250, get some out there 270-280 sometimes when I crush one and the ground is hard

I haven't had to adjust my swing at all with the Heavy Wood. I've posted before on this, and will say it again, this club gets my swing in tempo, ad find it quite beneficial to hit this club/warm up with it, and really gets me in sync with my swing.

I find that with the Heavy Wood, if I try to swing harder, my results aren't consistent. The technology that Boccieri put in to this, basically makes the swing effortless, as the back weighting is designed to get a square face on the ball at contact. If I over swing, and try to crush it, the ball will spray all over the place.

One of my favorite shots with this is a nice, easy 3/4 swing. It's reliable, and I know where it's going to go. I may sacrifice some distance with an easier swing, but I'll take it in play rather than OB any day.

Also, my swing speed with my driver is on average around 105.

thanks guys, i just thought that a faster swing would maybe load up the shaft too much. the fact your saying it provides tempo, and a more controlled swing gets better results may back up my thoughts.. I have a quick transition with my woods so it sounds like my result would probably be a big slice.

would be good to swing one, but i have yet to find a local stockist in Glasgow. :(

thanks guys, i just thought that a faster swing would maybe load up the shaft too much. the fact your saying it provides tempo, and a more controlled swing gets better results may back up my thoughts.. I have a quick transition with my woods so it sounds like my result would probably be a big slice.

would be good to swing one, but i have yet to find a local stockist in Glasgow. :(

I dont think just because you have a quick transition that would mean a slice, would just have to hit it to see, kinda hard when nobody has them though lol

thnx

The last time I was on a monitor my Driver swing speed was in between 110 and 115. I don't feel like I've "changed" my swing, but absolutely my tempo has been altered because of this club. I haven't thought about it much but my typical routine at the range is to start from my lob wedge and work my way back up. Recently I've been hitting my 56 just to get the body warmed up and then right into the Heavy 3 Wood. And then working back and forth between other irons and metal woods. I was originally testing the thought process and seeing if the weight did affect my swing or if I noticed the weight differential all that much. And in my last post I noted it definitely does/did not seem noticeable. I now think because I was hitting the H3W earlier in my routine that this was also helping tempo in the rest of my clubs!

So no dramatic swing alteration in the least for me, but absolutely changes in tempo that have transferred to my other clubs as well.

thnx

Like 10yd said above, I initially thought I would have to swing harder with the heavy 3w compared to my FL 3w, but I couldn't have been more wrong in that assumption. The same easy swing that gives the best results with my ultralight FL 3w, also brings the best results with the heavy 3w. My driver swing speed is right at 100, sometimes a little better. I hit the heavy 3w against my 3w on a simulator and was seeing ball speeds of around 135 from each club, with the same swing.

Just got back from playing nine holes, and took quite a few videos of shots I hit with the 3w. I'm working on getting the videos pared down and uploaded right now so I'll see if I can get them all uploaded tonight.

Just got back from playing nine holes, and took quite a few videos of shots I hit with the 3w. I'm working on getting the videos pared down and uploaded right now so I'll see if I can get them all uploaded tonight.

If not tonight I will see them tomorrow, Im really digging all these videos the testers are bringing, I think it brings the thread to a new level seeing, hearing, and watching the clubs in action, also seeing the different types of swings it works for.

I have had no major swing change, although I will tell you that I have to be much more aware of the tempo of my swing. Here's an example:

Today before 10am PST Sunday football, a friend and I played a quick 9 hole par 3. This is the little course is where I learned how to play golf. Some greens are smaller than my living room, longest hole is 145y downhill and the entire course is less than a thousand yards. How does this connect to the BGHW? ... well, wait for it.

I played like hell today. With my Callaway Big Bertha 2006 Irons, lots of forgiveness and I hit 'em generally very straight. I was hooking or drawing on nearly every hole. Last time I played this course I was 4 over. After three I was 4 over! Argh! The same held true through the remainder of the holes.

Fast forward to Sunday morning football. Games are on, brunch is devoured, a few glasses of OJ before my post-halftime Sailor Jerry's Rum & Coke and my friend looks at me and says, "I really want to go to the range right now." Me: "Autobots, roll out!"

We get to the range, grab a few balls and started warming up with irons. And it is still there. Hook. Draw. Hook. Snap Hook. Snap Draw Hook. I just killed Tinkerbell because I'm Capt. Freaking Hook. I pull the BGHW, take my first swing, BIG OLE HOOK ... but I immediately knew why. With the BGHW I immediately know that I'm too quick to the top and in transition back.

Deep breath. Slower take away. Pause at the top. Fire through ... crushed straight. After a few better tempo swings (not all good results, but better), the dad teaching his son next to me say "That's what I mean by waiting at the top." Apparently they had stopped to watch a swing or two, or to laugh at me mumbling to myself about tempo. I don't remember using any blue language, but I was in a pretty dark golf place for a moment there! (I had chatted with the dad when I stepped away to take a deep breath, so it wasn't intrusive to have that chatter.)

With that better tempo swing, I go back through my set and for the most part, am able to hit in the general direction of my aim!

The BGHW helped highlight one of my main swing flaws and also provided a way for me to start resolving it. For me, the backweighting makes that quick transition FEEL like a quick transition. When I'm quick, I also slide through the swing, not turn which causes me to become out of balance. If I trust what the BGHW is telling me, I usually end up with a fullish turn (i'm not all that flexible) and my chest towards my target.

On another note, calling it a "Heavy Wood" does two things: First it makes them think of the Heavy Putter, which, is good I suppose. Unfortunately, it also creates a mental barrier to them wanting to try it. I preach how much I like this club to all my buddies and I hope to convert them soon enough.

If not tonight I will see them tomorrow, Im really digging all these videos the testers are bringing, I think it brings the thread to a new level seeing, hearing, and watching the clubs in action, also seeing the different types of swings it works for.

It might take me till tomorrow to get them uploaded. lol Also couldn't agree more about all the vids, I'm glad to see more and more testers posting them. I think that only adds to whole experience. It's also nice to put a face with a name.

It might take me till tomorrow to get them uploaded. lol Also couldn't agree more about all the vids, I'm glad to see more and more testers posting them. I think that only adds to whole experience. It's also nice to put a face with a name.

well mine is more like a face and a half lol.

Easy there Darth Vader. :) I'm looking forward to my tripod/smartphone adapter to get delivered so I can jump in on the video bandwagon. I feel so technologically left behind ... which as an IT guy, hurts.

Easy there Darth Vader. :) I'm looking forward to my tripod/smartphone adapter to get delivered so I can jump in on the video bandwagon. I feel so technologically left behind ... which as an IT guy, hurts.

I got a Flip, and every time I have been on the range with it, it's has been raining. Hoping to get some videos up soon.

haha I bet, Im not in the IT field but im a electronic nerd at heart lol. Man after todays round im so ready to get back out and hit the Heavy Wood.

haha I bet, Im not in the IT field but im a electronic nerd at heart lol. Man after todays round im so ready to get back out and hit the Heavy Wood.

Quite possibly the best one sentence review of a club ever. And I hear ya about being an electronic nerd. It has been tough not to throw down for new gizmos this past year. lol.

Haha I've made the poor folks suffer with my ugly mug, I don't think it could get any worse.

haha get with the program D!

Back