Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

UPS just dropped these off at my house. Photos, video and initial thoughts to come.

So i stopped at the range at lunch again today. I focused on the scoreing clubs with a small bucket of balls.

9 iron: I was hitting nice high balls and landing them right at about 140 -145. I had very few miss hits and after hitting about a dozen i attempted to try to shape a few shots and got some good results. The balls I miss hit were few and when it was it was a fat hit and sky rocketed the ball.

P wedge: well after getting warmed up with the 9 this club hit like a dream. I even managed to beast some balls with this club to the 150 marker. I was hitting comfortably at between 130-140. I am able to choke down and strech it out to change the sistances with this club very nicely.

G wedge: This is the only club in the set that is giving me problems. I hit it fat alot and on good hits I am having problems with aim. I think it may just take me time to get used to it and stop wanting to pull my 50 deg cg15 for those shots around 100.

Over all I am very excited to get these on the course and play them tomarrow afternoon. I will be making some vids and snapping some pics. My biggest excitement is using the hybrids on the par threes where my irons used to give me huge problems.

For you testers I wonder how the OEM specs for club face degrees compare to your current/previous irons and whether or not you've noticed it the Adams are more/less/same.

Thanks - great updates, keep 'em coming!

So I snuck in another bucket of balls at lunch today. I only used the 9 through gap to get a better feel for the scoring irons.

9 I warmed up with it by dropping some balls around the 100 Mark. Very easy club to lay up with . But it always wanted to carry longer than tested. After warming up I was able to constantly hit around the 140 Mark. If I wanted to I could really swing it and easily clear 160 in the air.

P wedge. Very nice club to hot to. I can play it to between 125 to 135 comfortably without sacrificing accuracy . I have the ability to play it 150 but it opens up about a twenty yard window of where it is gonna go.

Gap wedge. This club is about the most unforgiving club in the set. I hit it fat slot leaving me hight short hits. I am going to keep at it and figure out if it me messing w my swing.

Over all I cant wait to get them on the course tomorrow and destroy those pesky par threes with the 6 hybrid

What types of misses did you see with the hybrids? I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record but I'm really looking forward to seeing how having the same shaft throughout the set plays out. I think it could lend to consistancy with the shots/feel throughout the swing even when going from hybrid to an iron. Could really help with the transition and those that may struggle with it.

Yoccos, I played my 3rd round with these clubs today and it is still the same for me, I tend to miss left or either miss with a small toe hit. I am enjoying the shafts, mine have all of the standard markings and are the ProLaunch Blue Regular flex. I still plan to extend the shafts Friday and then get the lies checked after that. I had wanted to try this shaft for a while and they are doing exactly what I thought they might do for me. I also seem to be adjusting to them as there were fewer misses to the left in today's round.

For you testers I wonder how the OEM specs for club face degrees compare to your current/previous irons and whether or not you've noticed it the Adams are more/less/same.

I have not seen the specs on these irons, but I suspect they are slightly stronger lofts than the MX-300s I was playing. If anyone has the specs could you post them here? Thanks.

I apologize for cell phone auto correct on last post

UPS just dropped these off at my house. Photos, video and initial thoughts to come.

I really look forward to your thoughts Smallie, you do such a thorough job in your reviews.

Wow.... y'all have been really busy squeezing in some playing and range time with your shiny new Adams Stiks...!! Great writeups by all the testers so far, and I really like the video's as well. fwiw.. I love fried chicken too!!

I was wondering if anyone has tried hitting some punch or knockdown type shots, and how did the clubs work out for those types of shots?
Also, has anyone tried chipping with the hybrids?

Looking forward to hearing more of your expeirences with these new clubs, and keep up the good work!

I tried a punch shot out of some trees today, I chose the 4h because of the loft, I was able to punch it back into the fairway and even though I had placed it back in my stance it did get slightly higher than I really wanted, not a lot but it did brush some overhanging limbs that I was sure I would be staying underneath. I actually was a little surprised as I am guessing these are stronger lofted than my last hybrids.

As far as knockdown, I had a PW on a downhill lie to a hole that you absolutely cannot be long by 5 yards or you lose your ball, I played it back in my stance and with a swing of half way back and a follow through of half way through kept the ball down and landed just short of the green and rolled up to about 15 feet of the pin. The PW knockdown went exactly as planned and the impact felt solid.

I don't think anyone will have trouble hitting either of these shots with these clubs.

Yoccos, I played my 3rd round with these clubs today and it is still the same for me, I tend to miss left or either miss with a small toe hit. I am enjoying the shafts, mine have all of the standard markings and are the ProLaunch Blue Regular flex. I still plan to extend the shafts Friday and then get the lies checked after that. I had wanted to try this shaft for a while and they are doing exactly what I thought they might do for me. I also seem to be adjusting to them as there were fewer misses to the left in today's round.

I have not seen the specs on these irons, but I suspect they are slightly stronger lofts than the MX-300s I was playing. If anyone has the specs could you post them here? Thanks.

Thanks for the update DD! I think that should definitely help if you're noticing a consistant miss. I was pleasantly suprised by the shaft. Really interested seeing how it works for everyone, such a wide variety of golf games for this testing.

Hoping we will be able to provide this for ya soon!

Good updates today everyone. I really like what I'm hearing about these irons and they have me more and more intrigued. Yoccos, is the graphite still really helping you with your elbow, and how do you like these stock graphite shafts in general?

Good updates today everyone. I really like what I'm hearing about these irons and they have me more and more intrigued. Yoccos, is the graphite still really helping you with your elbow, and how do you like these stock graphite shafts in general?

Hi CB,

I played close to 50 holes and didnt have any issues. Usually after about 12 or so without my brace and I'd have to consider stopping. I thought at first I was feeling a little sore but it didnt come to be. This was flat out amazing for me. I'll be testing thise without my elbow brace to see what happens. Initial thoughts though... I'm really pleased.

In general I really liked what I saw. High ball flight but it was penetrating. They landed really, really soft too. I never had an issue holding the greens. I also liked the fact I didnt notice any fatigue and we played quite a bit of golf.

So I snuck in another bucket of balls at lunch today. I only used the 9 through gap to get a better feel for the scoring irons.

9 I warmed up with it by dropping some balls around the 100 Mark. Very easy club to lay up with . But it always wanted to carry longer than tested. After warming up I was able to constantly hit around the 140 Mark. If I wanted to I could really swing it and easily clear 160 in the air.

P wedge. Very nice club to hot to. I can play it to between 125 to 135 comfortably without sacrificing accuracy . I have the ability to play it 150 but it opens up about a twenty yard window of where it is gonna go.

Gap wedge. This club is about the most unforgiving club in the set. I hit it fat slot leaving me hight short hits. I am going to keep at it and figure out if it me messing w my swing.

Over all I cant wait to get them on the course tomorrow and destroy those pesky par threes with the 6 hybrid

Nick, good stuff in here, I'm just curious about the yardages you are seeing with the adams set vs iron sets you have played in the past. Are you seeing an increase in distance or are those numbers you are used to? Do you always try to muscle a shot out there, or do you just play your stock "driving range" iron swing on all your shots? Interesting as well that the GW is giving you a little trouble. I'm sure you will get it, but thats an intersting though. Look forward to more of your thoughts in these irons.

Wow nick those are good distances. Hope you get the gw figured out. Thanks for the update

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Kelly, a couple times I almost thought I heard a high pitched sound at impact when you were chipping. Am I just imagining that?

Great reviews, I need to stop reading all of these different iron reviews or its going to be some salesman nightmare when I hit up golfsmith.

Thanks for the videos KB, that looked like a tough lie off that hardpan. Some great stuff in this thread, keep up the good work

Kelly, a couple times I almost thought I heard a high pitched sound at impact when you were chipping. Am I just imagining that?
'

hawk,

I was just coming to post this same thing. I thought I heard it too, but maybe it was something else?

Nick, good stuff in here, I'm just curious about the yardages you are seeing with the adams set vs iron sets you have played in the past. Are you seeing an increase in distance or are those numbers you are used to? Do you always try to muscle a shot out there, or do you just play your stock "driving range" iron swing on all your shots? Interesting as well that the GW is giving you a little trouble. I'm sure you will get it, but thats an intersting though. Look forward to more of your thoughts in these irons.
I usually dont muscle shots on the course. When i do i loose alot of accuracy. The distance is a little more and that gained distance is accurate distance to. On the range i swing them with some force to see what i can do just incase i need the distance with loft to clear a tree or something

Went out and practiced 9 holes hitting with these clubs today.

1st hole - Par 5

First tried to hit an 8 iron from a really tight lie. I hit it really bad and left it short. I'm not sure what I did but it was UGLY. I switched to a 7 iron since I was about 115 out and uphill. Had a good result on that one. Here are videos of those shots.

Oops - miss with 8 iron

7 iron shot (2nd try)

Result of 7 iron shot (about 10-12' from flag)

2nd hole - 4 Hybrid off the tee was straight down the middle and 191 yards.
Lots of roll on this particular fairway but still VERY long for me!! I usually hit my driver on this hole but I think I will use the hybrid from now on. Very accurate and in the middle 2 out of 2 times so far!

3rd hole (par 3) - I experimented using the 5H & 6H. Here are the results of the two shots. Straight and both on the green! Love the hybrids!!

DSCF9894.jpg

5th Hole - Par 3 from about 90 yards. I usually hit one more club on this hole because I like to play the back hill and let it come back to the pin. If you miss on the front of the green, you will roll back into the water. Chose my 9 iron which is my 100 yard club. I flew it way into the bed behind the green instead of the hill. Grabbed a PW next and it hit the hill and rolled back pin high. I'm guessing the PW is now my 100 yard club.

The ball flight was nice and high and I'm sure it flew at least 5 yards longer than my G15 normally does. The ball flew right over the pin, nice and straight shot. Too bad it was too far.

Here's the video of the shot.

Used the gap wedge to chip on two occasions and I was really pleased with how close I got both times. I also used the gap wedge once from the fairway but didn't do too well with it. Hit behind the ball and left it short. Did that with my Cleveland SW once too so just one of those days.

My first impression is that the hybrids and irons are going to be money off the tee. I'm hitting them accurately and they are proving to be a bit longer than my Ping G15 iron. I had mixed results with the irons on the fairway but I'm hoping it's because I was extremely tired and just having an off day. Way too soon to tell.
Our fairways desperately need water!

As requested, here's a short video of me chipping with my 6 iron. Very easy to chip with this but as I said earlier, I would have to practice to get my distance down.

Here's a picture of the 6 iron after I used it this morning for chipping. The velocity slot was full of the wet grass that had just been mowed but I didn't see this problem later when the grass was dry.

DSCF9893.jpg

I wasn't planning on doing pictures first, but I am running late on my schedule and don't have time to wait for the videos to upload to YouTube. So pictures and first thought first. Then when I get back later tonight I will load up the videos.

First, the hybrids. I was really excited to get to check out the Velocity Slot Technology after reading about it online and reading and seeing what the testers thought about it. I don't think there is going to be an issue of it getting clogged up as has been suggested, as it is less than 1/4" deep. I originally thought it went all the way through. Doesn't. Small visual topline, but definitely more than my old Nickents, as the black part of those went all the way to the clubface. The Adams actually creates a topline for a visual, and I like it. Grips seem decent enough, I'll probably just go with the stock grips the rest of the season. These are not quite 10% lighter than the Nickent hybrids and have a longer shaft. Hybrid covers are decent. I'll try to use them for now; I usually only use cover for my woods, so I will have to deliberately keep these on!

Spoilers for quantity:
Spoiler
e83e29ac.jpg
5e0937db.jpg
56fbf806.jpg
daf3ec4e.jpg
60a272c9.jpg
c0198d6e.jpg
b3f144ac.jpg
ef13cc1a.jpg
eed5c77a.jpg
4f4e87e7.jpg
cbfef307.jpg

The Adams A12OS irons are, to me, a very nice looking set. Big topline, so if that bothers you, you'll probably have an issue with these. They are, however, smaller than what I am used to on my Cleveland HB3's, and those didn't bother me, so I don't foresee these bothering me either. The soles are also much smaller than what I have been used to playing with (these are more traditional irons than hybrid irons), so that will probably be my biggest thing I have to get used to. There is no noticeable weight difference between these and the HB3's, club to club. The 7 and 8 irons transition between the 6 hybrid and the 9 iron and lack the pocket cavity that the 9, PW and GW have. They look good to my eye at address and feel goot in my hand.

Spoilers for quantity:
Spoiler
2f0bbf75.jpg
0e39cd09.jpg
96e0eddc.jpg
4ce95d2f.jpg
c20a0fab.jpg
41e9731b.jpg
0db561e1.jpg
e6150db0.jpg
360c18b2.jpg
51406f99.jpg
877ab423.jpg
a362b113.jpg
2baf7453.jpg

All clubs have the Pro Launch Blue Regular Flex graphite shafts. I have hit graphite shafts in my hybrids before but not yet in my irons. This part interests me, and I hope it helps with the distance.

That's it for the pictures and intitial thoughts of these clubs, I will load the videos after I get home tonight.

Great update KB, love the videos. Smallville great pics, Im excited to see how the graphite shafts work out in the irons for ya.

Great stuff there KB, glad to see that you have decided to play the 4h instead of the driver on #2, more fairways = more GIR as it is still a short shot to the green. I haven't played with the grass wet as yet and have seen no grass whatsoever in the velocity slots. I going to have to come over for some chipping and putting instruction from you.

Edit - great pics Smallie, you posted those while I was writing up the above to KB, look forward to the videos.

Adams just seems to put out a lot of quality products. This new set seems extremely well put together. I have had the CB2s which were just amazing.

Great videos in your updates KB, I really like the sound of the hybrids/irons when they connect with the ball. And great pics and initial thoughts SV, I cant get over how good the set looks in the pictures- the color scheme is great.

Great write ups so far everyone! I really loved KB's video and even better yet, her other video's....LOL. I loved OG in the pink hat, but I had to keep the sound low because I'm at work and I didn't want anyone else here in the office to think I was looking at something wrong given the great talk OG was giving. Very good stuff. Made me smile for the first time today! I'll replay the video(s) when I get home this evening.

Keep up the great reviews everyone! I like this set a lot.

Haha - glad to provide some extra entertainment on the side.

I haven't had a chance to do comparisons yet.

The only thing I hear are birds chirping in the background.

Thanks for the videos KB, that looked like a tough lie off that hardpan. Some great stuff in this thread, keep up the good work

Thanks Duey. Our local course is owned by the county. It has tons of hard pan which makes it really tough but we make the best of it since it's all we have here in Gray.

Back