DblBogey4Life

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all. Been playing around with my equipment set up especially swapping out my K15 3 wood and Machspeed sq 4 wood. The results have been very frustrating because of the very inconsistent play and ball striking I have had. One day the 3 dominates, the next the 4. Being that they are 1 degree apart, what should that equal in yardage?

4 wood will be easier to hit off the fairway but 3 wood will be a little longer so do you want consistency or distance

If you struggle with your swing, Id say go with the 4-wood. Loft is your friend.

The K15 3-wood is 16* which is generally equal to most 4-woods anyways. I would say keep the K15 in the bag simply because I see you have a 20* hybrid. You put the Nike 17* in there and that's getting pretty close in gaps.

I wouldn't worry about 1* of loft, it ain't gonna make that much difference. The shaft on the 4 should be a smidge shorter so that may help you make better contact.

--
tapatalk

I guess I would ask, what is the gap between you driver and 3w or 4w? I would also keep the wood that left you the best options on your misses.

Great points from Golf Ghost and SW - I went to a 4w about 10 years ago (in fact I just use a 18* 5W now which I hit WAY more consistenly than the 15* 3w I tested against). I can't remember where I saw it, but there was an article in one of the golf mags a couple years ago about a study that concluded amateurs, on average, actually hit a 4w farther than a 3w.

I pulled the 3 wood out of the bag and put in the 4 wood and I have not looked back. I might have lost a few yards but I am ina the fairway more, and have better contact off the deck.

Great points from Golf Ghost and SW - I went to a 4w about 10 years ago (in fact I just use a 18* 5W now which I hit WAY more consistenly than the 15* 3w I tested against). I can't remember where I saw it, but there was an article in one of the golf mags a couple years ago about a study that concluded amateurs, on average, actually hit a 4w farther than a 3w.

That is consistent with most amateurs being better off with a higher lofted Driver (i.e., 12 vs 10deg)

Unless hes hitting it thin.

Go with the 3w. Your misses will be closer to the hole.
I wouldn't worry about 1* of loft, it ain't gonna make that much difference. The shaft on the 4 should be a smidge shorter so that may help you make better contact.

--
tapatalk

I've hit the RBZ Tour 5 wood 18* and literally picked up 5-7 yards over my G20 3w 15*, and raised my LA and flight apex significantly. It's like the best of both worlds. Longer and lands softer!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Back