TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

I can't either, so I post in both. You're probably the 100th person I've heard say they hit them too high. That can't be a good thing.

I literally hit the ceiling in the Golfsmith nets with a 6i. A number of times. When I hit them on a range comparing them to the Nippons they went about 3/4 as far.

I think. I go off what I see and feel. I didn't like what I saw and felt.

Kevin

Strange that the TM site doesn't show shaft information on the R11s. I checked the specifications tab.

Strange that the TM site doesn't show shaft information on the R11s. I checked the specifications tab.

Yeah, it looks like Taylormade hasn't completed the website development for the R11 irons product page. It's pretty sparse compared to the other irons.
Here's a link to Taylormade custom shaft options and the standard shafts appear here as well.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/fitting-and-demo/custom-shafts

I can't either, so I post in both. You're probably the 100th person I've heard say they hit them too high. That can't be a good thing.

Yeah, with the XP shafts I was launching the CBs ridiculously high. Like, make it rain high. Throw some nice KBS tours in there or the regular DG shafts and that club probably becomes twice as nice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I imagine these R11s with KBS C-Tapers would be absolute weapons.

Looks like the DG XPs and the KBS 90s have the same mid trajectory. Apparently not from what people are saying here. Can someone please compare and contrast?

Last edited:
I took these irons out for a round of golf today for the first time since the Morgan Cup. I went to one of the courses that I regularly play, so I have a sense of what irons I normally hit into par 3's and things like that. I'm still picking clubs based on the yardages I have in my head for the R9 irons that I used to play. After today, it is clear that I'm going to have to adjust to the R11 irons, because I had more than a few shots that flew 5-10 yards further than what I would have played for with the R9 irons. I had 2 tee shots on par 3's that I thought were going to land between the middle and the back of the green....only to see them hit the very back of the green and fly over. One of them ended up in a hazard, the other one ended up behind a tree. :banghead:

All of that said, I continue to be pleased with these irons, and I think they are an upgrade over my R9 irons. My play off the tee was not the best today, so I had to hit some iron shots that weren't standard iron shots. On hole 5, I hooked the crap out of my tee shot and ended up in an adjacent fairway. I was able to hit a very high 9-iron over the trees between the 2 fairways and get the ball on the green. On the next hole, I pushed my tee shot and was close to a tree line. I was on a bare lie, and had to start the ball to the left and then have it fade to get back into the fairway on that par 5. I took out a 6-iron, opened the face slightly, and was able to pull off the shot! I have the KBS Tour stiff shafts in these clubs, and am getting a nice ballflight out of them. I can also flight these a little lower if I need to, had a couple of shots into the wind that I did that with today. I had the same shafts in the R9 irons, so the distance gains I'm getting with the R11 irons are all due to the advances in the clubheads themselves. I'm going to get 2 more rounds in later this week, will update this thread after that.

Nice write up hairy. I think it's nice to hear about some added distance when compared to your R9's. Once fully adjusted, is it something you think you'll enjoy? A lot of people on the forum can be opposed to a distance iron. What are you thoughts on that?

Nice write up hairy. I think it's nice to hear about some added distance when compared to your R9's. Once fully adjusted, is it something you think you'll enjoy? A lot of people on the forum can be opposed to a distance iron. What are you thoughts on that?

Good question TC. I think that in terms of added distance, it needs to be consistent, which means 2 things for me. First, the distance gains need to be consistent through the set, not just in the longer clubs. The second thing is that the distance from the clubs needs to be consistent, and I think that's where some people are liking these irons as compared to the Burner 2.0 irons. I haven't had a set of the Burner 2.0 irons, but I know that other people have struggled with the "hot shots" (for lack of a better term) that goes 10 yards further than anticipated. I don't really see that out of these irons, although I don't have many rounds with these irons right now.

I don't really look at this irons as "distance irons", but the added distance is nice. If I can get some more accuracy with my approach shots with these irons, that will be more important to me than the added distance.

Dude, I like your answer, a lot. It is exactly the way that I feel about an iron like this. I never experienced the "hot shots" with the 2.0's but man, I loved hitting PW and 9irons from 150 yards and in. I wish you continued success with them buddy and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with them.

Nice write up Amol. These are the first TM irons that have seriously caught my attention (actually I liked the look of your R9's too hahaha).

Dude, I like your answer, a lot. It is exactly the way that I feel about an iron like this. I never experienced the "hot shots" with the 2.0's but man, I loved hitting PW and 9irons from 150 yards and in. I wish you continued success with them buddy and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with them.

Totally agree, great answer Ary. I have found so far that not only are they consistantly longer throughout the set, but they are consistent in their distances. Now that I have them dialed in I'm firing at greens again.

I will say this: I've never been a very long hitter of the ball, driver swing speed just over 100 mph. I have worked on my swing a bit this year and gained some distance through better technique. These irons have added to that, it may result in my R11 9-iron being my 150 yard club. I try not to talk about stuff like this all that much because it usually breaks down into "internet golfer" talk, but hitting it this far with my irons is a new feeling, and a little weird at first. Example of that: played a par-5 today, 475 yards from an elevated tee that was also playing a bit downwind. It's a hole that is just begging for you to go for it in 2. I hit a good drive, had 205 left to the middle of the green. I had just hit a 5-iron 200 yards on a prior hole, and over the green is DEAD, so I decided to hit 6-iron to try to put it on the front of the green. The ball actually hit about 10 yards onto the green and released to 15 feet from the hole! Again, hole was playing downwind, but I hit a 6-iron just about 200 yards! 6-iron was my 175-185 club prior to these irons....it's going to be a transition, but a fun one at that.

Well the R11s have the thin face like the 2.0s so they are going to have a trampoline effect. If you guys want more consistency out of a TM iron why not try the Tour Preferred MCs? If they have enough forgiveness I'm thinking that's what you would really want to play. Right?

See, that's the beauty of an iron like this, it makes golf holes easier, plain and simple. Did you make the eagle putt?

Well the R11s have the thin face like the 2.0s so they are going to have a trampoline effect. If you guys want more consistency out of a TM iron why not try the Tour Preferred MCs? If they have enough forgiveness I'm thinking that's what you would really want to play. Right?

B/c the MC's won't be near as forgiving nor near as long. I don't like sacrificing either of those traits.

Trampoline effect? You mustve hated the xFt wedge.

See, that's the beauty of an iron like this, it makes golf holes easier, plain and simple. Did you make the eagle putt?

No, because I hit the putt like an absolute wuss and left it 2 inches short and a little to the right. It was the angriest I've ever been to make a birdie because it was the best chance at eagle that I've had in a long time.

No, because I hit the putt like an absolute wuss and left it 2 inches short and a little to the right. It was the angriest I've ever been to make a birdie because it was the best chance at eagle that I've had in a long time.

Still, got to love easy birdies. Hopefully these irons provide you with plenty of those. It sounds like they could.

B/c the MC's won't be near as forgiving nor near as long. I don't like sacrificing either of those traits.

I see your point and I will have to try out the R11 irons. Hitting it higher and further is appealing!

I see your point and I will have to try out the R11 irons. Hitting it higher and further is appealing!

I think higher is more of a shaft thing, but I have no doubt that the R11's are longer and more forgiving.

These seem like a more refined 2.0 if that makes any sense. Very good looking iron. I can relate to juicing a shot with distance irons, my irons are built for speed like the 2.0s. Like Mizuno's MP line I have a real hard time keeping up with TM's line. R11s seem to be in the form of the CBs but geared more toward 2.0 players? Correct me if I am wrong, really trying to be more informed on TM's lineup and it's tough to do sometimes. Guess if it works doesn't matter how its classified.

These seem like a more refined 2.0 if that makes any sense. Very good looking iron. I can relate to juicing a shot with distance irons, my irons are built for speed like the 2.0s. Like Mizuno's MP line I have a real hard time keeping up with TM's line. R11s seem to be in the form of the CBs but geared more toward 2.0 players? Correct me if I am wrong, really trying to be more informed on TM's lineup and it's tough to do sometimes. Guess if it works doesn't matter how its classified.

I think I am following your line of thinking griff. TO me, the R11's are just a progression of the R9 irons. I wouldn't really compare them to the 2.0's or the CB's b/c they are in a different category. I think they combine a lot of good aspects from both the 2.0 and the CB though. Distance form the 2.0's, lines/shape from the CB's. Really, I think they could be the complete package as far as an iron set goes. The sole of the iron is what interests me the most. Taylormade advertises the sole as a "tour" sole. I'm not really sure what that means, but I'd like to find out.

I think I am following your line of thinking griff. TO me, the R11's are just a progression of the R9 irons. I wouldn't really compare them to the 2.0's or the CB's b/c they are in a different category. I think they combine a lot of good aspects from both the 2.0 and the CB though. Distance form the 2.0's, lines/shape from the CB's. Really, I think they could be the complete package as far as an iron set goes. The sole of the iron is what interests me the most. Taylormade advertises the sole as a "tour" sole. I'm not really sure what that means, but I'd like to find out.

That helps, thinking of them as a R9 follow up kinda organizes the line a bit. And yes they do seem to be a balance between the 2.0 and CB.

I like this progression. I like that you can play a 8 iron from where you used to play a 7. That I think inspires confidence and shows in the scoring aspect.

Back