Srixon Z-Star Irons or Mixuno JPX800 Pro's?

Blueskee

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm really interested in both these iron's as from what I've been reading they are some of the best out there right now that offer a great forged/forgiveness/distance/feel combo.
I am not able to demo the Srixon's as no shop has them locally. I have hit the Mizuno's and really liked them. Great when flushed and forgiving on mis hits without penalizing you. Just enough to get your attention, which is great for me as I want to know when I'm not consistent. I feel that if I mask my mishits I'm just masking a bad swing. Don't get me wrong I want forgiveness but not total numbness to bad shots. I've come to my own conclusion that these two would be ideal for my needs, as I'm also looking for iron's to grow into as well.( currently shooting 85-90, after 11 months of first picking a golf club up).
The set I'm playing now is Calloways X-24. While I like these clubs, I'm just ready for the next level amd want more of a players iron but not blade like, hence the Srixon's and Mizuno's.
Consensus tells me Mizuno's as they are tried and trued but my heart is telling me ZStars!
If I were to go with the Z-Stars it would be a blind purchase as I am unable to find a demo?
I really like the look of the Srixon's and feel like it gives me more confidence, and this is just from pics online!
I've read the huge thread on them and like what I've seen.
One of the only down sides I see is the gap after the P wedge. I currently game the x24 50* then go to a set of vokey 54-58* wedges. Not really a big problem though as I can just buy a 50* wedge and bend it down to a 49* for more manageable gaps.

I think I just need some opinions before I pull the trigger and am hoping I can get some help here from those who have hit both or either iron's?

To put it in simpler terms which of the two is better for someone like me who shoots 85-90 but will help me to better my game with less frustration if that makes sense?

Thanks for your time and opinions guys!

Having both here, you can see which are in my bag. I prefer the look, sound and performance of the Z-Stars. The JPX-800s are good irons, but having played both side by side, it wasnt close for me.

Having both here, you can see which are in my bag. I prefer the look, sound and performance of the Z-Stars. The JPX-800s are good irons, but having played both side by side, it wasnt close for me.

Ahh, thank's JB! I can appreciate your opinion as you've not only played both, but most likely the majority of the other popular offerings out right now as well.

After reading the thread you started on the ZStars last night, I did think to myself that tjey must be really good as you still have them in your bag knowing that you could be playing any other popular iron out there right now, especially that you even test these iron's. Says alot that even after reviewing numerous clubs since bagging the ZStars you still have them in your bag safe and sound.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Z Stars but I game the 800 pros and love them. They have the forgiveness and feedback that you discussed in your op.

For me, I would not like the idea of a blind purchase of a whole set of irons. I could do a putter or wedge that way but not for irons. IMO, you should go with the set that you know first hand works for you. The Z Stars could be a good fit for you, but you know that the 800 pros work for you.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would never do a blind purchase, JMHO.

I hit the JPX-800 and JPX-800 pro's quite a bit when looking at new irons as that was what I was going to go for until I hit the Z-Star's. After I test drove the Z-Star, there was no looking back. They are both great clubs and feel great, but the way it felt hitting off a variety of lies as well as the nice clean look of the club sold me. The stock shafts on the Z-Star's fit me well as well and provided the ball flight I was looking for.

I wouldn't recommend getting them sight unseen over something you know's works well as iron sets are a big purchase. I would spend some time calling around and trying to find one to give a test. Not sure where in CA you are, but if your near Blind9 (see link at top of the page), they might be a good place to start.

JB - Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the Z-stars also.

Both are great irons. I find the Z-Stars to be a bit more forgiving but they dont have quite the same feel as the Mizunos.
Personally, I wouldnt buy any new set of clubs without being able to try them out first and if there isnt a Srixon dealer in your area, that would be a problem for me.
Just because a club gets great reviews doesnt mean that you will like them.

I can echo what most are saying too. Buying a set of irons without swinging them is not wise at all. Just because someone can hit them well and game them doesn't mean you will have the same result. I've hit the 800 Pro's and they're a very nice iron. I would love to give the Z Stars a go. I've heard nothing but great things about them. But, like yourself, I'm having a hard time finding a place that carries them.

Back