2013 Ohio THP Invitational Recap & Picture Thread

i'm much better at video recaps, but ain't nobody got time for that!

dcbrad and i set out on our epic adventure early Friday afternoon and rocked all the way to Cincy. weather was great and the traffic was good as well, so we made decent time. after checking in, we swung up to the Holiday Inn to meet up with JB & Morgan, and a few other awesome people. well not too long after that, Canadian Daniel convinced us that City BBQ was where we should eat and away we went.
we ate alongside Canadan, ATLSeth, JRod, and JRod's beard....and i must say that it was some good BBQ brisket. we talked THP, golf, hockey, soccer, the metric system, and made fun of War Eagle a bunch. prior to departing ways for the night, we walked outside to see that Seth's trunk had been open, probably the entire time we were inside. luckily his crappy clubs were still there...

Saturday morning came quick and after some "breakfast", dcbrad and myself headed off to Legendary Run. LOL. we decided to head out after this heating duct fell onto this guys head while he was eating his breakfast. hahahahaha. i totally forgot about that. it was hilarious, but fitting for that Comfort Inn.
we took the scenic drive thru the course to admire the amazing houses that surrounded the golf course and WOW, some pretty fancy digs there i must say.
after getting signed in and grabbing some Cleveland & Bolle swag, we hit the range with the rest of the group, met some new and old friends, and hit some good and bad shots. more than one person tried to talk me into the Altitudes, i hit LargePhil's 4 foot driver (it wasn't for me), and i showed Canadan how to properly hit his own driver.

The Cleveland gear this year is great stuff. I love the new black look of the Classics and how they perform. I'm also a big fan of the TT's and could see myself gaming them with ease. The hats and balls that each member got seemed to be a huge hit, as I heard many people commenting on how well they played with the Srixon balls (no surprise) and saw many sporting their new hats, even late into the night. There's no doubt that Cleveland was a hit this weekend as the sponsor.

We then made off for the 1st tee. After watching some impressive 1st tee shots, we were about the 4th group off or so. I was paired up with Gaijin_Golfer (Chad) and mikedean & LargePhil were the other twosome.
Chad is a super nice guy and very easy going. We were both able to laugh off a few "questionable golf shots" of our own, so the mood was light and fun all day. Later in the round while discussing golf swings and whatnot, we stumbled across a tip that i think Chad will take to the bank. Keep grinding brother and i think that will pay off big time for you. Hope your able to spend more time on the course again!

This was my first LargePhil experience and this may sound like a broken record, but this guys' reputation proceeds itself, cuz Phil is easily the nicest guy you could ever meet. I had a blast sharing the round together with him and man can this guy putt! He quite literally didn't miss a putt within 10ft! That Versa Tuxedo is magic! He also didn't miss many fairways either, you know, if you like that sort of thing. The guy would be the perfect scramble partner, without a doubt. Phil rocks the Altitudes like a boss, even tho he'll probably have a new set next week....

And then there's mikedean....hey, first of all, this guy looks great! Down 61lbs or something like that, amazing... Was glad I got to be included in his group because we set our own rules all day and what he says goes. Hoping we find ourselves matched up in Myrtle cuz this guy knows what it's all about and i dig that. Thanks for setting this up Mike. you're tyno approved FWIW.

after golf was dinner and good conversation all night. i learned that LargePhil's smaller dog weighs as much as i do and that Seth is way cooler than he looks.

congrats to my awesome MC teammate Bullfrog for another notch on his belt and his partner Zenger for a job well done in Ohio.

so even though the quality of golf was good, bad, and ugly...the company was great and that's what counts the most. count me in for next year.

Graeter's post-round was the best decision I made at Legendary Run the entire weekend. Not an awkward moment at all, despite what my wife told me when I explained it to her. (Something like, "You went out for ice cream with some guy you met on the Internet? He was at least an adult, right?")

hahahaha.
ehhh, he's more like a man-child.

There was like 8 MCers at the Ohio outing. If I counted correctly. That's huge!!!

We then made off for the 1st tee. After watching some impressive 1st tee shots, we were about the 4th group off or so. I was paired up with Gaijin_Golfer (Chad) and mikedean & LargePhil were the other twosome.
Chad is a super nice guy and very easy going. We were both able to laugh off a few "questionable golf shots" of our own, so the mood was light and fun all day. Later in the round while discussing golf swings and whatnot, we stumbled across a tip that i think Chad will take to the bank. Keep grinding brother and i think that will pay off big time for you. Hope your able to spend more time on the course again!
Thanks for being such a great teammate. I came into it not expecting to win because my iron play has been garbage lately, so I just went into it wanting to have some fun and make some new friends hopefully. Its a shame that you arent going to be making the trip for the Illinois outing but I totally understand the reasons why. I plan on making these THP events in the area on a regular basis, so Im sure we will meet again.
I most certainly will put that tip to use. Im actually planning a range session for tomorrow. If I can get to the point where I hit my irons half as well as you do, I will be doing well. You were killing those 588s.

There was like 8 MCers at the Ohio outing. If I counted correctly. That's huge!!!

I was curious about that, very nice! I think we managed 6 in TX which I thought was impressive. OH stepping up again!

i'm much better at video recaps, but ain't nobody got time for that!

dcbrad and i set out on our epic adventure early Friday afternoon and rocked all the way to Cincy. weather was great and the traffic was good as well, so we made decent time. after checking in, we swung up to the Holiday Inn to meet up with JB & Morgan, and a few other awesome people. well not too long after that, Canadian Daniel convinced us that City BBQ was where we should eat and away we went.
we ate alongside Canadan, ATLSeth, JRod, and JRod's beard....and i must say that it was some good BBQ brisket. we talked THP, golf, hockey, soccer, the metric system, and made fun of War Eagle a bunch. prior to departing ways for the night, we walked outside to see that Seth's trunk had been open, probably the entire time we were inside. luckily his crappy clubs were still there...

Saturday morning came quick and after some "breakfast", dcbrad and myself headed off to Legendary Run. LOL. we decided to head out after this heating duct fell onto this guys head while he was eating his breakfast. hahahahaha. i totally forgot about that. it was hilarious, but fitting for that Comfort Inn.
we took the scenic drive thru the course to admire the amazing houses that surrounded the golf course and WOW, some pretty fancy digs there i must say.
after getting signed in and grabbing some Cleveland & Bolle swag, we hit the range with the rest of the group, met some new and old friends, and hit some good and bad shots. more than one person tried to talk me into the Altitudes, i hit LargePhil's 4 foot driver (it wasn't for me), and i showed Canadan how to properly hit his own driver.

The Cleveland gear this year is great stuff. I love the new black look of the Classics and how they perform. I'm also a big fan of the TT's and could see myself gaming them with ease. The hats and balls that each member got seemed to be a huge hit, as I heard many people commenting on how well they played with the Srixon balls (no surprise) and saw many sporting their new hats, even late into the night. There's no doubt that Cleveland was a hit this weekend as the sponsor.

This was my first LargePhil experience and this may sound like a broken record, but this guys' reputation proceeds itself, cuz Phil is easily the nicest guy you could ever meet. I had a blast sharing the round together with him and man can this guy putt! He quite literally didn't miss a putt within 10ft! That Versa Tuxedo is magic! He also didn't miss many fairways either, you know, if you like that sort of thing. The guy would be the perfect scramble partner, without a doubt. Phil rocks the Altitudes like a boss, even tho he'll probably have a new set next week....

And then there's mikedean....hey, first of all, this guy looks great! Down 61lbs or something like that, amazing... Was glad I got to be included in his group because we set our own rules all day and what he says goes. Hoping we find ourselves matched up in Myrtle cuz this guy knows what it's all about and i dig that. Thanks for setting this up Mike. you're tyno approved FWIW.

after golf was dinner and good conversation all night. i learned that LargePhil's smaller dog weighs as much as i do and that Seth is way cooler than he looks.

congrats to my awesome MC teammate Bullfrog for another notch on his belt and his partner Zenger for a job well done in Ohio.

so even though the quality of golf was good, bad, and ugly...the company was great and that's what counts the most. count me in for next year.

I think the reaction from his wife went a little like this:

Lady: OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!, OH MY GAD!!!!!! OH MY GAD!!!!! That thing just fell on him.
Comfort Inn Person: OOOHHHHH MY GAD! What room are you in?
Lady: We're in room 220 and they're in room 202. They haven't had electricity in their room since yesterday.

Hahaha.

Graeter's post-round was the best decision I made at Legendary Run the entire weekend. Not an awkward moment at all, despite what my wife told me when I explained it to her. (Something like, "You went out for ice cream with some guy you met on the Internet? He was at least an adult, right?")

It was pretty good. Only thing that wasn't good was getting high off the smell of your rental car. I don't know how you drove that all weekend!

It was pretty good. Only thing that wasn't good was getting high off the smell of your rental car. I don't know how you drove that all weekend!

It was pretty rough. Fortunately, I didn't have to drive very much. Our trip to/from Graeter's was the longest drive I had apart from the airport. (On the way to/from the airport, I actually had the windows open.)

For those not in the know (first, you're welcome), my rental car had the worst smell of incense that I've experienced since college. I suspect that the person who had the car before me either (1) smoked a pound of marijuana while driving or (2) died in the vehicle.

I was curious about that, very nice! I think we managed 6 in TX which I thought was impressive. OH stepping up again!

Ohio the best state for THP events!

My 1st THP event... Wow!! What a blast!

JB & GG seeing your excitement for hosting us addicts is very infectious and makes this place what we all love. It's awesome that even with all the loading up of gear, long travels, etc. that you all have as much fun, if not more, than us that show up and actually play.

Certifi_able and Lafayette, great fun for our round Friday. Thanks for you patience as Dawn and I hacked our way around. I'm not sure what you all did but we have created a monster. I've never seen Dawn so excited after a round. Out of nowhere she has decided she needs a new driver and 3 wood. I've never heard her talk about equipment... EVER. She will be beating me very soon. She works weekends at a course so there is free golf plus, like I should've many years ago, she is starting her addiction with lessons. Her 1st scramble is coming up in 2 weeks and I think she will feel very comfortable after you 2 guys made her feel like a golfer on Friday. Thanks again.

JRod, Canadan, and Amart, great 4some for Saturday. I know JRod and Canadan were frustrated but it was awesome seeing you guys crush the ball. Thank goodness Amart had some beer with me or you guys would've thought I had a drinking problem (I'm sure skipping lunch for beer didn't help my case any). The punched greens were a challenge but not as much as the rough was for me. I don't see rough like that in southern Indiana. I know none of us talked about it because pace of play wasn't an issue but that was an unexpected treat as that was my only concern for the weekend. Bringing my girl and not really knowing what she would do all day Saturday or how long I'd be gone was a concern for me but, like everything else, it worked out swimmingly.

Congrats to Zenger & Bullfrog!

Dinner that evening was great. Anyone that goes back get the salmon! Zenger, Amart, and Dance were great to talk with and get to know (even with Dance's 70-year-old-toe-sucking stories).

Thanks JB, GG, MikeDean, Canadan, and Cleveland for making my 1st THP event feel like a weekend gathering here at home. So awesome!!

You rock buddy. And so does your better half. I look forward to spending some time with both of you at another event. IL anybody? :D

got a few pictures early on, but then i just get too involved and don't bring the camera out at all....

JB, ATL, and dcbrad

DSC00968.JPG

Canadian Daniel
DSC00969.JPG

mikedeano
DSC00971.JPG

First tee
DSC00972.JPG

ATLSeth
DSC00973.JPG

dcbradley
DSC00975.JPG

JRod
DSC00978.JPG

JRod's awesome beard
DSC00977.JPG

Canadan
DSC00981.JPG

Robman
DSC00982.JPG

wadesworld
DSC00983.JPG

deano from the rough
DSC00985.JPG

#4 Turnberry, par 3
DSC00986.JPG

I heart JRod

Tyno, thanks for showing me hitting from the rough, I wish I knew what hole it was but I'm fairly certain I was there every hole.

Tyno, thanks for showing me hitting from the rough, I wish I knew what hole it was but I'm fairly certain I was there every hole.

That's hole No. 5 -- Par 4 that doglegs to the right, goes downhill and back uphill to the green. Bailout area is to the left, which is where you are standing. (I was there as well, but I didn't hit my drive well enough to reach the rough.)

That's hole No. 5 -- Par 4 that doglegs to the right, goes downhill and back uphill to the green. Bailout area is to the left, which is where you are standing. (I was there as well, but I didn't hit my drive well enough to reach the rough.)

That hole was dumb along with 7 and 8. Dumb holes...I played those stupid holes in 8 over...played the other 6 in one under...

The one where I said "I'll play smart and hit a 5 wood from the tee" and still f'ing dunked it in the pond to the right. Everything fell apart after that.

Congrats Zenger and Bullfrog!!! Sounds like it was a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That hole was dumb along with 7 and 8. Dumb holes...I played those stupid holes in 8 over...played the other 6 in one under...

All of those holes required course knowledge (or a yardage book). I did not think that 5 and 7 were that bad. 8 was pretty ridiculous. Having a blind drop off at ~250 yards just doesn't make much sense to me.

5 just required an excellent tee shot. I made a terrific swing on that hole on Friday, and I put the ball directly over the tree at the corner of the right side, leaving about 135 left to the green. On Saturday, I hit a terrible tee shot that stayed in the fairway on the left side but left me about 200 yards out.

My favorite was 16? Where the pond was on the left and the scorecard showed the tree in the middle of the fairway in the right rough. So naturally I go left of the tree and splash.

Cool story.

Back