Forum Testing Signup - TaylorMade R11 Irons

Thanks THP and Taylormade. Goodluck everyone cant wait to see the testing.

1. What irons do you currently play?
I currently play Wilson Staff CI9 Irons
2. What shafts are in those irons?
FST Step-less Steel in regular flex
3. What do you look for in irons?
I like my irons to have more of a players look... Thin top line, simple and classy design. But I don't mind a little flair to make them look special. I like a healthy balance between forgiveness and workability. I need some feed back as well. I am a tinker when it comes to my swing and good feed back when striking the ball is the best way for me to make relevant changes to my swing or grip etc.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts?
I have not tried the R11 irons although I would really like to. I want to see if taylor made lives up to the hype. I know they are good clubs but how do they compare to what I am currently playing and are the worth the cost.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level?
I would start by testing these on the range, getting a feel for the distance and gapping of the clubs. I would also be looking at ball flight characteristics and the ability to change the trajectory of the ball. Then I would move out to the course and see how they do in real world situations. I would do all of this with a mix of both video and write ups on the performance of the Irons. I am neither a fan of Taylormade or a Hater of Taylormade so I believe that will allow me to be objective in the evaluation and testing of these clubs.

Thanks THP and Taylormade for the opportunity.

Don't know how you guys do it but man you sure do bring great opportunities to your fans.

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Burner Plus
2. What shafts are in those irons? Stiff shafts steel
3. What do you look for in irons? Distance and forgiveness
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not tried them but would love too. I love the burner plus irons I have so I can only imagine that these are even better!
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I plan on hitting the clubs several times a week either on the range, in a round, or on the simulator at work. I plan on hitting them and then hitting my current irons and recording the info on each club. I am able to update on this site along with facebook and I have a camera to record my testing with the irons. I am able to update my findings on a daily or every other day basis's.

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play Wilson Jerry Pate Personal Blades.

2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock, Steel, Regular Flex

3. What do you look for in irons? I look for a club that can shape my shots, give me distance, consistency, and most importantly give me confidence. If I can feel confident in a particular club at address, good things usually happen.

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I hit a 6-iron R11 at GolfGalaxy 2 weeks ago. Even hitting the practice balls into a screen felt "sweet," to say the least. The feel of the ball coming off of the club face reminds me of a feeling coming off of the RAZR irons, very nice.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I joined in June, and was bit by the THP/Golf bug. A lot of my free time is spent on THP, on a golf course, or in the graduate office at school (on a computer, looking at THP). If I were to be selected to test these irons, I would have a weekly range session, along with a minimum of 9-holes of golf each week as well. I would post videos of the clubs, post comparisons to my current irons, thoughts, round summaries, and stay committed to fulfilling the requirements set forth by THP and TaylorMade until the snow starts falling!

I'm really looking forward to this testing session, whether or not I am selected. I am absolutely intrigued by these clubs.

Thank you THP and TaylorMade!

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway Diablo Forged
2. What shafts are in those irons? PX 5.0
3. What do you look for in irons? Feel, playability, ball flight, looks, consistnecy
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Not yet but would like to.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Process would include extensive playing and range time. Would use the clubs in both social and competitive (tournament) situations. With the weather changing up north here, the opportunity to test in various weather condidtions would be a big plus to see how theses sticks perform. I would also have my friends (handicap levels +3 to 12) test as well to get additional feedback. Would post as often and honestly as I can. Have started to ramp up my involvement with THP and look forward to increasing my presence on the site going forward.

1. What irons do you currently play?- Wilson Ci7 Irons
2. What shafts are in those irons?- True Temper TX-105 Uniflex (Stock)
3. What do you look for in irons?- I look for an Iron that gives me forgiveness in the long irons and control in the short irons. I would like for it to look good, but if it works for my game, I'll play it.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts?- I have not tried the R11 Irons
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? So, to address my activity level first. I haven't been as involved as I have been in the past, mostly because of work. However, I do read a lot and use the thoughts and reviews on this to help guide my golf game and equipment. Whenever I want to know more about a product, I come to THP first because everyone here has great opinions and gives honest feedback.

My testing process is more scientific. I would go to a grass tee range first and just see how things feel and what the flight looks like on the irons. I then take it to a launch monitor that I can use at a local golf shop to check out spin rates, distance gaps and shot dispersion vs my Wilson Ci7 irons that are probably right in line with this model in terms of what golfers they are trying to reach out to. This would be a process of taking out the longest shot for each iron and shortest shot, as well as the closest to the center line and furthest away from the center line. Basically taking all the data and comparing that to what I thought on the range. Finally, would be on course performance. I'm not the lowest handicap golfer, but would test these on the course for how they compare to my usual game and what I expect from my usual iron. Probably will take these through 3 rounds to come up with a conclusion here. I will rate from 1-10 on these categories: Distance, Accuracy, Feel, Aesthetics, and an overall rating combining all of the categories. The comparison will mainly be to my current irons, which generally fall into this same category of iron.

Thats about it! From what I hear and what I've seen these are a great iron and I am interested to see how these stack up to my current set and how they would fit into a mid-high handicappers bag!

Wonderful opportunity here for some lucky THPers! Can't wait to read the reviews on this one!

I'm quite interested to hear how these compare to both the 2.0's and the tour preferred CB's in terms of distance, forgiveness, and workability.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP-60's
2. What shafts are in those irons? KBS Tour stiff hardstepped once
3. What do you look for in irons? Thin topline, thin sole, usable from multitudes of lies and conditions, and a solid feel at impact
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Have not tried them yet as I'm pretty happy with my irons. That, and I don't want to get yelled at by the Mrs. for spending money
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? They'll be taken to the range at least once a week, and definitely played with at least once a week depending on the weather. Tried from different lies from the fairway, fairway bunker, and rough. Used greenside for chipping and small pitching as well. THP activity consists of at least lurking 2 to 3 times a day, but not always posting. Sometimes there's just not a subject I want to dive into, and sometimes there's just nothing to say.

Another Great opportunity from THP !! Thanks and I'd love to wear these out !~

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylor Made Burner 09

2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock TM Steel / Regular Flex

3. What do you look for in irons? Distance first , I picked up about a club with these versus my previous Callaway Fusion Irons. I have a much easier tempo as a result - improving my game tremendously - broked 80 this year for first time !

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not tried these yet

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I live in suburban Atlanta, and play at least once per week year round. I average about 75-90 rounds per year, and would be able to test these and give my feedback on a regular basis. While I do not post a ton on THP, I do read tons, and love the website !! I participate on both Facebook and Twitter, as well.

That was quick on the heels of the Wilson test! Thanks THP and TaylorMade for another opportunity to test what seem to be great irons.

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping i15
2. What shafts are in those irons? KBS Tour X-Stiff soft stepped
3. What do you look for in irons? Confidence inspiring looks, some forgiveness, a good trajectory. Distance is nice, but comes after the other things I look for.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? No, not yet.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing will take place twice a week at the range and once a week at the course. Coming into summer here is the perfect time to be playing golf and I intend to make full use of it. Reviews will be in written, picture and video format. I am lucky that my club has extensive practice facilities which can be used to really put the clubs through their paces. The testing is a long term process and I'd intend to document that progress as time goes by.

Activity wise, I've been a member if THP since May. I contribute regularly, and try to add as much value to my posts as possible. I'm on THP every day and post in threads pretty much each time I'm on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome opportunity here. Since some of the questions here may be answered at length, I will wait until I get home and have access to a computer to "officially" sign up and do it the right way. I'll be back here later!

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring:

2007 Callaway X-Forged 3-PW

Project X Flighted Steel, 6.0 flex

Primarily, I look for feel and feedback and control. To me, distance isn't as big a deal as consistency. If I can be confident that the club in my hand will get me to where I want to be, I'm happy regardless of whether I'm hitting that club farther or shorter than my peers. Visually, I prefer minimal offset, since I'm used to that, and I sometimes have trouble aligning clubs with noticeable offset.

Havnen't had a chance to try these yet, but I have ogled them in the store once or twice. I was surprised, as they appeal to my eye more than I thought they would. The shape is nice, the red weight on the back looks sharp, and there isn't as much offset as I expected.

I would definitely run these side-by-side at the driving range with my current irons comparing things like:
-distance (overall and consistency)
-ability to work the ball (left / right and high / low)
-feedback on good hits and mishits
-accuracy, since I think these have longer shafts than my current clubs.

On the course, I can play some practice rounds on the nearby 9-hole track where I can hit various shots that I'm already familiar with, having played there a lot.

My activity level is increasing, and I will be committed to providing regular weekly (or better) feedback of my experience with these clubs.

Cheers,
C

Dang....as always THP and TM for this opportunity. Good luck to everyone and looking forward to everyone's thoughts!

1. What irons do you currently play? - Taylormade R9 on the course / Practice with the Mizuno MP-37s
2. What shafts are in those irons? - KBS-90 stiff for R9 and Dynamic Gold S300 for the 37s.
3. What do you look for in irons? - Several things:
A) A nice high ball flight that isn't exceedingly high - My current ballflight is actually borderline on that
B) Forgiveness in the longer irons - I don't mind hybrids, but I'm still much more comfortable with an iron. As such forgiveness of the 3-5 irons are important to me.
C) Feel/sound at impact - nothing extraordinary here, but I tend to have harder times adjusting to weird sounding clubs clubs.....I've not really liked weird composite driver heads in the past due to sound, but I've never had a chance to hit them enough to see if I could push myself past that.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? - Only had the chance to drool at Golfsmith. They haven't placed a demo one in the back yet so haven't hit a ball with one although I've been swinging them around in the showroom a lot. Overall, in the KBS form I think they're pretty and have a light-feel to them somewhat similar to the R9's I use although not quite the same I think. I do wonder how they behave in that setup versus with 120g KBS-tours though. That is one change I've been debating on doing with my current R9's as my ball flight with them right now is borderline too high.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? - Due to my work+workout schedule, Monday-Thursday will be difficult. Beyond that, I tend to practice at the driving range for 2hrs on Friday, play my round Saturday, and another 3-4 hours of practice on Sundays so time spent with the clubs won't be much of a issue, especially being in California. As for THP activity level, I'm daily reader and will be happy to engage and answer questions as much as I can on these.

1. What irons do you currently play? Tommy Armour 845 v-31 combos
2. What shafts are in those irons? True Temper r flex tri gold
3. What do you look for in irons? I look for irons that have clean lines when addressing the ball, good feel on shots that are miss hits (wont kill your hands) and that make me feel confident just having them in my hands.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have hit about 6 balls with the 6i at an Edwin Watts store. I really liked the feel of the 6, it produced a good controlled ball flight for me, I wish I could have hit a few with the scoring irons though.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? If chosen to be a tester for this forum I would get out to the range a minimum of 2 days a week for practice as well as 1-2 rounds a week. I have access to unlimited range balls which will allow me to put in tons of swings during each practice session. The course I play on is generally pretty slow so I would also be able to put down a couple balls and try different types of shots with different clubs from the same distance (punches, 3/4, etc.).
During my practice sessions I would be able to upload videos, post comments to the testing thread, as well as tweet about my thoughts and experiences.
I am on THP several times a day reading the threads and commenting generally every day.
Thanks to THP and TM for the great opportunity!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX 300
2. What shafts are in those irons? Steel - X-Stiff - Dynamic Gold X100
3. What do you look for in irons? I don't like an iron that looks like a shovel, has massive offset and thick top lines. These types of irons definitely have their palce in the golfing community, but they they don't belong in my bag. I also look for irons what provide feedback. Not irons that hide it. (Again, those irons have their place.) Putting a good shaft into a set of irons is key. (Or at least offering different shafts over the off-the-shelf stock ones.)
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not tried the R11 irons. I was at my local shop this week and was able to get my hands on them but, because I was there during lunch, and time was running out, I didn't have time to demo them. However, since I am looking to upgrade my current set, this is on my short list of irons to demo. From what I have seen so far, I love the offset the the top line of these sticks. And KBS shafts?? Very nice!
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I'm on the course every Wednesday and Saturday with driving range sessions on Monday and Friday. I typically play by myself on Wednesdays to work on my game. I will typically hit 2-3 tee shots and play every ball. (Providing I'm not holding someone up.) This allows me to hit from an array of lies. If chosen, these irons will get a very good workout each week. I've been a THP member for a few years, but am best known as a 'forum stalker'. I read a lot, and only post when I can contribute to the thread. Work and school prevent me from having a high post count.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP-60s
2. What shafts are in those irons? steel stock shaft (stiff)
3. What do you look for in irons? The ability to consistently hit the ball solid and far (feel) as well as control. My MP-60s are a muscle back design so if I don't catch the sweet spot I easily lose 15 yards. However they are easier to control when I do catch them solidly. It will be interesting to see if the R11 irons will be easier to hit and if they can accommodate both feel and control.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not tried these irons, but the precise design of the club is very intriguing. Claiming that these irons have "overall playability" is a bold statement in my opinion. I really don't think that it is possible to make an iron with feel, control, distance, accuracy, and forgiveness. Those are all the aspects that go into hitting a shot. If somehow this "overall playability" turns out to be true, Taylormade will have revolutionized how irons are made. As a Ramblin' Wreck and a "Helluva Engineer" I am very intrigued by these clubs. Already having the title of "The #1 Driver in Golf", and having a ball that incorporates both distance and spin (Penta), these R11 irons will put Taylormade at the top of the golf industry.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? As a low-handicapper I feel like I will be able to give accurate feedback on how these clubs affect my iron play. If being so fortunate as to become a tester, I will play every week and give a detailed analysis on the clubs' performance. Having a Droid phone will also make it simple for me to upload videos of the R11 irons in action. So I will take advantage of that technology as well...I am a relative newbee to THP, however I plan on getting more and more involved. For instance I will be a part of the Georgia Outing in mid-October, and in the past month or so I've been checking THP almost every day and making more and more posts. Thanks again THP and Taylormade for this great opportunity!!!

Thank you Taylormade and Thp for this amazing opportunity! The R11 irons look great and the technology behind them is awesome. I'm looking forward to being able to compare them to my burner 2.0's.

1. I am currently playing Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons.

2. The shafts in my irons are Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff steel

3. I look for forgiveness and accuracy with distance being a great bonus. One thing I'm not crazy about with my burners is the longer shafts and I look forward to going to something closer to normal length. I also like a thinner sole and the R11's look perfect there.

4. I have hit them at the proshop just a few times and I loved the way they felt. The mishits weren't as harsh feeling as they are with my 2.0's.

5. I play atleast three times a week with time spent on the course and on the range. The local driving range is installing monitors in the bays and I think that info would be awesome for the reviews. I will post my thoughts after rounds and practice sessions and answer any questions that anyone might have. As for activity level I'll be here as always and try to provide information and support in a positive manner. Thanks again Thp for all that you do.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade R7's
2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock stiff flex
3. What do you look for in irons? Good looks, forgiveness and I like the club to "feel" right while swinging.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Not as of yet but I am dying to hit them. From reading the reviews here on THP I cant wait to hit them. I am buying new irons in October so these and the CB's are on my list. The Wilson irons look great as well so I will be reading those reviews as well.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I hit the range 2-3 times a week and play once if not twice a week. I really want to compare my findings against the CB thread reviews and the Wilsons. I video most of my range sessions so I will have that to post, I mainly film scoring irons/wedges and driver. Activity level on THP, well I am on here everyday and just usually put my 2 cents in where needed or if a question was asked.

Thanks THP for all the tough work you all do and more importantly letting the average golfer test these great products.

Thank you to TaylorMade and THP for the testing opportunity for the members.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP-53's
2. What shafts are in those irons? KBS Tour X
3. What do you look for in irons? Consistent distance and flight. Some forgiveness on mishits. Some workability.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Have not tried them.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Member since July 2009 with about 1500 posts. As active as I can be. Can do weekly updates and answer questions daily. Initial testing would be only with R11's determining my first thoughts. Follow up testing would compare the R11's to the MP-53's. Will have access to video on multiple occasions. Might be able to do some distance and dispersion comparison's on a regulation course, a par3 course, as well as the range. Use of impact tape showing sweetspot, toe and heel shots with there related distances and dispersions. Will also be able to compare R11's when hitting proV's versus 20X1's...not just range balls. Although the practice facility I visit just got new Nike practice balls.

Oh wow this is pretty great. Thanks to THP and Taylormade. Good luck to all.

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play the Taylormade Tour Preferred CB.
2. What shafts are in those irons? TT DG S300 Steel shafts.
3. What do you look for in irons? I'm looking for an iron that is easy on the eyes to build confidence. I want something forgiving to keep me in play. Not a bomber so I would like something that I could get good distance out of as well.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I haven't. Honestly I'm afraid too. I have been reading a lot of the feedback on the site and will all the good reviews I'm afraid if I hit them I will buy them. I've been told around that means that you "OEM'D it." It would be a nice opportunity to hit this iron against the CB. I think they look similar with some shared technology but I'm imagining a completely different hitting experience.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? If I ever get the opportunity to test I would be so excited. I can definitely post a lot of pics and videos along with my write ups. I go to the range 2-3 x weekly now as it is and play on the weekends, so getting reps would not be an issue. I would like to offer individual insight on the clubs and also do a little comparison with the CBs. I would just love to be given an opportunity like this. Activity wise I am definitely newer to the site but have hit the ground running. I have been active in posting the forums but have also been reviewing the forums and learning about a lot of great products that I was previously unaware of. I follow THP on Facebook and Twitter as well. Really enjoying it here. Cheers.

Nike CCI 4-pw

TT dynalite s300 but weren't fitted for me. My shaft i need is TT DG XP x100

Looks, Playability, and consistency

Yes, I thought they looked good but a bit bigger than i wanted. Felt great and were fairly long. I can get over the look with the great feeling the R11 offers.

I am on THP everyday posting thoughts and opinions. Testing would include both on course testing and range sessions. Pictures and videos would be a big part of the testing as well as stats comparing irons.

Thanks for the opportunity THP and Taylormade

Holy Wow! Thanks to THP and TaylorMade for an unreal opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson Staff Di9 5-Gw
2. What shafts are in those irons? Graphite Stock shafts
3. What do you look for in irons? Feel, distance, and ball flight along with a consistent ball strike.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not. I saw them at the store and looked at them and marveled at their beauty but I was unable to take them out to try.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I would put these irons through a vigorous diet plan of ball striking in all aspects of the word. I would see if this iron could perform in the clutch and when I need it to perform. I am regualrly on THP, although I am relatively new. I love reading and writing comments about other products for people to look at.

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson PI7
2. What shafts are in those irons? True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
3. What do you look for in irons? Classic looking club with forgiveness.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I've hit them...very good looking club. Taylormade did a good job of making the R11 a classic looking club at address, but with plenty of technology packed into it.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I'm new to testing, but I do try out many of the new clubs when they come out. I'm also a newbie to THP as far as forums.

Thanks to TaylorMade and THP. You have to give it to TM for putting their clubs out there forregular folks to try out and report on without bias. Bravo!

1. What irons do you currently play? Bridgestone J38's pocket cavity
2. What shafts are in those irons? Project X 5.5
3. What do you look for in irons? A little of everythinglooks, feel and forgiveness confidence over the shot.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I haven’t but,have had R7's before and Burner 2.0's (until stolen) It would be nice to seehow they compare.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activitylevel? The range and the course at least once a week all year round minus snowdays. Love the forum and keeps me reading for most of the day @ work.

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping G10 4-UW
2. What shafts are in those irons? Ping AWT stiff flex steel shafts
3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness is the most important thing... followed by feel, distance and then looks.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? No. Unfortunately, I live an hour and a half from the nearest place (Edwin Watts) to try them, and haven't been there since they were released. Between their good looks and the great reviews, they are certainly high on my demo wish list.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing would include and average of 1 - 2 rounds each week, mixed with some driving range visits and extra short game practice. With access to several cameras and and a yard big enough to hit shots up to 170 yards, videos and pics could be provided practically any day. With the amount of time that I spend on THP, I can provide feedback and test info/thoughts in a timely fashion.

Back