morekimchi

Reaction score
Handicap
I've tried and tried to find the right hybrid for me. I don't know if it's the weighting, the longer shaft, the lie angles, or (most likely) a mental thing, but I can't find a hybrid that works. Going old school and trading in the latest experiment (V3s) and getting a 3 and 4 iron to fill out my i15s. Anyone else sticking with the long irons?

I took out my 4 hybrid and put the 4 iron back in the bag. I am still sticking with my 2 & 3 Hybrid as I like these more than the 4 hybrid. The 2 & 3 were taylormade rescue dual's but the 4 was a burner. I like the versatility of the duals better.

For whatever reason I have never really been able to hit a 3 or 4 iron so the Mashie's are a revelation to me. I tried relentlessly but just could not him them consistently so I had no other choice but to go the hybrid route. But like everything else in golf, every person is different and every person's swing is different. If hit a putter off the tee works for you then by all means go for it.

I play a 3 hybrid for a little extra distance, I am more consistent with my 4 iron so if relying on a fairway hit or keeping the ball in play I always play the iron. I seem to play hybrids more from tee than from off tee.

I had a Taylormade Rescue a few years back that was a security blanket. Once I started to take lessons I could not hit the dang club to save my life so I gave it away. I have come back full circle to have 2 Rescue 11's now. As with everything in my golf swing I have no idea why they work now. :D

I've come to terms with replacing the 3 iron with a hybrid, but I am not sure I am ready to replace the 4. Some things just aren't meant for some people kimchi!!

Getting the 5 and possibly the 4 for my iron set when I get around to it. I think much of it for me has to do with keeping similar shafts and weighting. My current hybrid hits very similar to my FW so that is a big help. I've sworn off 3 irons like I have sworn off 3 woods so I always have 1 hybrid for the foreseeable future.

Much of it is the fitting, or lack thereof in hybrids. I need flatter angles so that limits what I can hit. Sole on the Trilogy lets me come in low with my hands, my natural move.

I had resisted hybrids for a long time though I don't know why. I finally broke down and bought one used to check it out and I've been liking it and likely will be adding it to the bag permanently.

I can't hit hybrids either. I play a 4 iron and a 5 wood.

I actually just dumped my 4H for a 4-iron. Ironically, I hit my 4-iron as far as my existing 3H... So, my search for a good long hybrid continues! I'm not good enough with low irons to carry a 3. It's taken me a while to be comfortable with the 4.

I played a 2 hybrid for a few years in lieu of a 2 iron or 3 wood, but have since gone back to the 3 wood. I have thought about replacing my 3I with a hybrid but so far I haven't been able to pull the trigger. I hit so few 3 irons other than off the tee on a par 3 and two short par 4s(in which the hybrid wouldn't offer too much benefit) that I don't really feel the need to switch.

I had previously played a 3 and 4 hybrid with a 4 iron, but just moved to a 4 wood and 3 hybrid to go with my 4 iron. As I can hit both a 3 iron and 3 hybrid, I was thinking of going to a 3 iron because I feel they can get through the rough better and have more workability. I never really saw the benefits of a hybrid to someone that can hit long irons.

I'm way too in love with my MP CLK hybrids to ever go back, I've never hit long irons as consistent as these.

Sorry to necro a month old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one to say this exact same thing. I have an Adams Idea Pro Black 3 hybrid and a PING G15 4 hybrid. I can not get decent results out of the 4 hybrid to save my butt. I don't know what it is about it. Actually, I sorta do. The offset on it drives me nuts. What's weird is that the offset in my G5s doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have an old 3 iron from a beginner set lying around that I'm thinking about bagging instead of the 4 hybrid. The loft should be about right for a G5 4-iron until I can work up the desire to order a replacement 4 iron.

I know at my handicap I should be embracing the hybrids but I honestly feel like having the 4 iron would help me with my consistency, since its more like my 5 iron.

Couldn't live without my gyros to be honest, saved me on numerous occasions and it just feels so natural when your stood at the ball.

My Callaway irons have the 4 and 5 ibrids which I do find give some additional confidence especially in slightly more difficult lies etc, but I could easily be persuaded to drop these if a really good set of irons came along.

My longest iron is a 5 and play a 19 degree hybrid that fits a 3/4 iron for me. It's my go to club and the oldest club in my bag. I love it!

dont have a 3, carry a 4I but never hit it...would I replace it for the right 4H...probably

I carry both my 4h and 4i. Depending on the shot I may choose one or the other. I'm lucky to have success with my 3h so don't bother with the 3i. Sorry to hear you have trouble with the hybrids... I actually found that the 3h/4h in reg flex worked out better than stiff flex even though everything else in my bag is stiff flex.

I still play a 3 and 4 iron, but need something to fill the gap between my 3 wood, which is probably going to be repalced, and my 3 iron. Been looking at a hybrid for it, but may just go with a 5 wood instead. I need something that I can hit off the tee, as I'm not any good with my 3 wood off the tee.

Sorry to necro a month old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one to say this exact same thing. I have an Adams Idea Pro Black 3 hybrid and a PING G15 4 hybrid. I can not get decent results out of the 4 hybrid to save my butt. I don't know what it is about it. Actually, I sorta do. The offset on it drives me nuts. What's weird is that the offset in my G5s doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have an old 3 iron from a beginner set lying around that I'm thinking about bagging instead of the 4 hybrid. The loft should be about right for a G5 4-iron until I can work up the desire to order a replacement 4 iron.

I know at my handicap I should be embracing the hybrids but I honestly feel like having the 4 iron would help me with my consistency, since its more like my 5 iron.

If I see the date right on tapatalk this thread is 2 years and 1 month old, I have done the same thing before.

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

I am in the same boat with my 19* hybrid. I'm going to try reshafting to steel as a last hope. I am shopping for Nippons that match my z-stars but 2 iron length. I have a Mizzy MX900 3 iron that is like a sledge hammer to fall back on if it doesn't work out. I also have the 4 iron if I can't hit my z-star 4. I'm hoping it works out though since that is my only 220-225 club.
Have you considered changing shafts on it?

I don't carry a 3 iron but I have a 4 iron that I hit well.

Hybrids have nothing to do with handicaps any more, not when you see them in bags on the PGA tour. I am a 5 and I am thinking of dropping my 4 iron which is maybe my favorite iron in the set and going with a 4 hybrid. I have had a 3 hybrid for about a year now.

I go through phases where I will hit my 4 iron over my hybrid and other times I wont. Right now I am back to the hybrid bc I tend to hook the 4 iron just a little too much.

I cannot even imagine going back to a 3 or 4 iron instead of a hybrid ever again. They are just so much harder to hit consistently. And from the rough? It's not even fair how much easier the hybrid is to hit. In fact, it would have to be a pretty special 5 iron to ever get back in my bag over the 5 hybrid I'm gaming now. I've said it before and will repeat it here: If Cleveland made a Mashie 6, I'd be replacing my 6 iron too, and I hit my 6 iron pretty darn well. But I know I could still hit the hybrid more consistently....

Yeah, its pretty cool when you pull off a great, rocket 3 or 4 iron shot, but what's even cooler is hitting the green regularly and scoring better. No thanks long irons, you've been made technologically obsolete.

Back