New driver questions

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT
Since half of my team in the masters’ contest was reduced to smoldering rubble:angry:…it appears I need to begin actually shopping for a new driver. My current driver is the Nicklaus Air max 360. It’s the “cryogenic super beta” which means…something with titanium…I guess they freeze it. If you haven’t heard of it, it was released somewhere circa 2002 I think.
Anyway 10 years is probably enough technology to help me out now. I used to hit a nice low power draw. Then my swing fell apart “unfolding lawn chair- style”. When it got rebuilt, everything with the driver seems to go higher now and lost to the right. Not a slice, more of a push. (Maybe push / fade) Not with the irons though, or that much with the 3w, just the driver.
Here’s the question (finally) with all the new adjustable drivers do you guys think something from the last 3 years or so could help? (Loose the push and get a little lower) I have no idea about swing speed and can’t really afford a full fitting (or a brand new driver, I’m looking for something a few years old that’s cheaper). I know that when I pure it, I can get this driver to go 280 – 290. Usually though it’s closer to 240-260. Most likely I’m a regular flex (my irons are). Also does somewhere exist where I could swing drivers that are a few years older? I know I could buy one on-line (or even here) but I don’t want get anything without trying it first.

I would be surprised if you are hitting it 280-290 and fit into a regular flex. That blows my mind. I would go to a local big box store and take a look at their used clubs, find one you like and give it a few swings on a simulator or launch monitor. There should be some ball flight numbers there that you can see for free.

It only goes that far when I crank it. I'm not sure what the flex is on my driver, becasue I got it as a gift, before I know all that much about shaft flex, swing speed, and launch angle. I only think reg. because that's what is in my irons, that were (slightly) fitted at Golf Galaxy. Guy suggusted reg flex based on numbers with a 6I.

It only goes that far when I crank it. I'm not sure what the flex is on my driver, becasue I got it as a gift, before I know all that much about shaft flex, swing speed, and launch angle. I only think reg. because that's what is in my irons, that were (slightly) fitted at Golf Galaxy. Guy suggusted reg flex based on numbers with a 6I.

Can you tell me how far you are hitting your 7 iron?
And do you remember your 6I swing speed from when you were fitted?

check out the used clubs at galaxy if u want to swing older model drivers, sometimes you can get on the launch monitor there and get a good idea of where you stand.

man 2 people already today driving as far as the avg tour pro, I usually only get that far with the aid of the cartpath

good luck in the driver hunt!

Can you tell me how far you are hitting your 7 iron?
And do you remember your 6I swing speed from when you were fitted?

7I is about 150 yd...more if I really catch it (much less if I hit 3 inches behind it) :act-up: 6I maxed at bit over 170yds on the monitor in the store (that was MAX though). I don't really remember SS numbers. I could say something, but it would really be a guess.

7I is about 150 yd...more if I really catch it (much less if I hit 3 inches behind it) :act-up: 6I maxed at bit over 170yds on the monitor in the store (that was MAX though). I don't really remember SS numbers. I could say something, but it would really be a guess.

Okay, working on getting a baseline. You were fit for the regular flex shafts and your distance is somewhere in the area of 150 for the 7 iron. There must be a monster gap at the bottom of your bag from woods to irons, or distances are a little off, but that is neither here nor there for the time being. I dont really think adjustability will cure your answers, but more a fitting. Normally I could have a recommendation or two, but with the distances in some areas being what they are and then in other areas, being what they are, something is amiss. It might be nothing more than fitting.

I would recommend a shaft fitting more than anything else, because it could be that the shaft is what is holding you back, or the other way around. Sorry I could not be more help.

check out the used clubs at galaxy if u want to swing older model drivers, sometimes you can get on the launch monitor there and get a good idea of where you stand.

man 2 people already today driving as far as the avg tour pro, I usually only get that far with the aid of the cartpath

good luck in the driver hunt!

The 280 is hardly my avg. though. I can and have hit it that far...but it's 1 out 10 or so. Maybe I shouldn't have included that. Thanks for the tip though. I will check some stores to see if they have some older stuff. I wasn't sure if they let you use the monitor for that.

Okay, working on getting a baseline. You were fit for the regular flex shafts and your distance is somewhere in the area of 150 for the 7 iron. There must be a monster gap at the bottom of your bag from woods to irons, or distances are a little off, but that is neither here nor there for the time being. I dont really think adjustability will cure your answers, but more a fitting. Normally I could have a recommendation or two, but with the distances in some areas being what they are and then in other areas, being what they are, something is amiss. It might be nothing more than fitting.

I would recommend a shaft fitting more than anything else, because it could be that the shaft is what is holding you back, or the other way around. Sorry I could not be more help.

I think part of the problem is that I'm just not consistant enough to get reliable numbers. I'm kinda all over the place. I do appreciate the effort though JB. I kind of feel honored. I will have to start pricing fittings... Or at least try to get some more accurate numbers for free. Of course the real challenge will be getting my wife to let me spend money. Anyone have suggustions on that? :bulgy-eyes:

The 280 is hardly my avg. though. I can and have hit it that far...but it's 1 out 10 or so. Maybe I shouldn't have included that. Thanks for the tip though. I will check some stores to see if they have some older stuff. I wasn't sure if they let you use the monitor for that.

sometimes u can walk over and just get on it if you know how to work it lol

otherwise just ask, worse case they get you in the sim, and while the distances are usually off, you can at least compare apples to apples

Definitely agree with the guys who are recommending getting on the sim. My amount of golf played in the last 2 years has gone up dramatically and I probably annoyed the guys at the local GG but I learned a ton about my swing and what felt good to me. Despite wanting the latest and greatest I just finally settled on a Ping K15 and hit the fairway with it all the time.

Okay update time: I was able to get to my local Golf Headquaters and swing a few (used) things. First...my Nicklaus is a stiff flex. Which is right for me. I swung a TM superfast 2.0 in regular, and it was whippy and all over the place, and somewhat shorter. I hit a few others, the highlight was a stiff flex 9* G15 (Nicklas is 10.5*). First swing was 274 straight as a pole. I hit 2 or 3 others like that one, but the misses were what was impressive. Even when I almost missed the club face entirely it still went 240 +.

I worked on some things and I think my miss to the right may have more to do with ball placement than shaft or club head. I moved it forward a little bit when I played yesterday...and missed the fairway left more than right.

Conclusions: I don't hate my driver, I think it fits me well, and when I hit right it goes. But, at 360cc, I'm wondering with something newer (and bigger) if the "when I hit it" percentage would go up some. I really liked the Ping but I didn't buy it. There are 3 or 4 others I want to try first, if I can find them, (Machspeed black, Diablo octane, or last year's razr). But now I have something to compare to.

Okay update time: I was able to get to my local Golf Headquaters and swing a few (used) things. First...my Nicklaus is a stiff flex. Which is right for me. I swung a TM superfast 2.0 in regular, and it was whippy and all over the place, and somewhat shorter. I hit a few others, the highlight was a stiff flex 9* G15 (Nicklas is 10.5*). First swing was 274 straight as a pole. I hit 2 or 3 others like that one, but the misses were what was impressive. Even when I almost missed the club face entirely it still went 240 +.

I worked on some things and I think my miss to the right may have more to do with ball placement than shaft or club head. I moved it forward a little bit when I played yesterday...and missed the fairway left more than right.

Conclusions: I don't hate my driver, I think it fits me well, and when I hit right it goes. But, at 360cc, I'm wondering with something newer (and bigger) if the "when I hit it" percentage would go up some. I really liked the Ping but I didn't buy it. There are 3 or 4 others I want to try first, if I can find them, (Machspeed black, Diablo octane, or last year's razr). But now I have something to compare to.

The G15 is a good, forgiving driver (and very long) and is a great price right now ($199). It worked the best for my swing and I came from a high fade just like you.

I'm thinking maybe I should have got it. This one was $135, and had a nice new grip. It's probably gone by now though. I do still want to try some others.

I think the shaft would be the most important part. But I'd pick a adjustable driver first than try different shafts with it. I debated a long time between a 910 D2 vs. D3. Then when I picked the D2, I tried different shafts with the trackman. Suprised how different results I got with different shafts.

I have been doing the same thing the my R11S. I hit the Phenom S shaft too high so I put in my old NV75X aldila hits it well. I traded the Phenom shaft for a Rip Beta 60X so I think I may have found my soulmate!

I would suggest a TaylorMade SuperTri and here is why:

1) They are very reasonable used
2) They are adjustable and fairly simple to adjust on your own
3) There are countless shafts for sale on Ebay with the tip already on so you could try them on for size and easily sell them if not to your liking

Best of luck!

My first thought is that you should put some hitting (?) tape on your current driver and see if this push is the result of striking the ball on the heel. If so, you can potentially fix your probablem by adjusting your set up to the ball. In this scenario hitting on the sweet spot would result in straight shots and shots off the toe would result in some version of a draw. First step is confirming the hypothesis.

Okay…the epic conclusion to this saga is…(wait for it)….The Ping G15. (cheer if you like... I’ll wait.) I tried all of the clubs I wanted to / could find used and it just did the best. The second closest was the Nike VR (not s). For the life of me I couldn’t hit a Callaway stick, Octane, Razer hawk, or even Diablo edge, despite that I really wanted to like them. The G15 just went further and straighter than any thing else…including the G20 :confused2: When I got it (on Monday) the guy at Golf International (in Va. Beach) went through several other clubs and shafts. This is a 9* stiff TFC 149. (stock I know but it works). The spin rate is a bit low… avg 2000 – 1800, but the side spin almost doesn’t exist. Little bit of a power draw (5 – 10 yds) which I sooo missed in my swing. Once I had was warmed up a bit the launch angle was good and despite the low spin the max distance was 289…(several others over 270) even the misses were over 240, and it’s very forgiving. It is used, but is in good shape and at $129 I’m happy. I have yet to play with it, but that should happen on Sunday.

Okay…the epic conclusion to this saga is…(wait for it)….The Ping G15. (cheer if you like... I’ll wait.) I tried all of the clubs I wanted to / could find used and it just did the best. The second closest was the Nike VR (not s). For the life of me I couldn’t hit a Callaway stick, Octane, Razer hawk, or even Diablo edge, despite that I really wanted to like them. The G15 just went further and straighter than any thing else…including the G20 :confused2: When I got it (on Monday) the guy at Golf International (in Va. Beach) went through several other clubs and shafts. This is a 9* stiff TFC 149. (stock I know but it works). The spin rate is a bit low… avg 2000 – 1800, but the side spin almost doesn’t exist. Little bit of a power draw (5 – 10 yds) which I sooo missed in my swing. Once I had was warmed up a bit the launch angle was good and despite the low spin the max distance was 289…(several others over 270) even the misses were over 240, and it’s very forgiving. It is used, but is in good shape and at $129 I’m happy. I have yet to play with it, but that should happen on Sunday.

Congrats on the new purchase! Hope it treats you right on the course.

Congrats on the new purchase!!! I said the same thing about the G15, I wanted to like other clubs but this one just works. Enjoy it out there!

Back