Ball Review - Bridgestone E5

Nicklausfan

Reaction score
Hey Gang:

Recently, I tried a new ball on the heels of the Blind Ball Test. Of course, most of us now know that the ball was the Bridgestone Tour B330 RX. A great ball that lived up to the remarks provided by the testers. It is a ball that I immediately purchased. With plans of course to stockpile.

Consequently, there was a thread that I started that thanked THP and of course the testers for their efforts and feedback on the ball. Ironically enough, I tried the ball selector tool on the Bridgestone site and twice it recommended to my surprise the E5. I honestly thought that I or the tool was ony slightly delusional. In the past, I've used other manufacturers ball selector tools and of course it always recommended the highest priced premium ball. Which I really don't have an issue with but I admit that there was a little shock involved when it said E5. In my "thanks" thread someone mentioned that I should try the recommended ball. So I bought a dozen... and went to the course to test. Here's how it went.

Player Bio

Gender - Male
Age - 39
Height - 6'0"
Weight - Too Much (218 lbs)
Dexterity - RH
Clubhead Speed - 115 mph
Status - Turned Professional 2011

Hmmmm... the Bridgestone E5 Distance Control.... a two-piece Urethane covered ball. Interesting. I pulled my shiny new Bridgestone E5 Distance Control out of the box and was reminded by looking at it that it's cover was "dimple in dimple". Did it bother me? No, not in the least. Afterall why should it?

Feel

To start off I began my round by teeing off with a fairway wood. The first hole at my course is a dog leg left with water to the left. Anything too far finds a tough fairway bunker which signals death... bogey or worse. I always warm-up with a 3 wood.. placing it usually centre left. This day was nothing different. The shot left the club with great velocity, a soft (see "light") feeling, and the ballflight was a tad higher than most of the others balls I experimented with but it was nothing out of the ordinary. Immediately, I was impressed by the feel. I wondered how this ball would feel compared to some premium offerings I've tested and this ball did not disappoint. Into a right to left hurting wind I played a PW from 138. The ball felt great... sort of a soft click and I was shocked to watch it land 15 yards past the target. I scrambled to save par. Regardless of this the E5 already made it on the feel front as far as I was concerned. Did I mention that the wind did not move it off line? All day long the feeling was replayed over and over again. Great feel not "harsh" at all as some balls have been. I only played 9 holes and on the last hole I took driver out. Yes it was downwind and I hit a monster drive (my longest ever 358) but the thing that really struck me was the fact that I could feel the E5 compress off of the clubface.

Approaches

This is a problem has plagued me all year with certain balls is on approach shots. Not missing the green so much but landing by the pin and the ball spinning too much and that leading towards low percentage first putts for birdie. For example... hitting a shot to within 2 feet and having 20+ for birdie. The greens were receptive due to recent wet conditions. Not full blown rain but it's been stereotypical Scottish weather here in Niagara. The E5 definitely passed this test with flying colours. I prefer a one hop and stop or maybe up to 5 feet of backspin. On greens where other balls would've spun back 20+ feet this ball on approaches backed up 3 feet once otherwise it landed and stuck. Slightly firmer greens would be interesting but for now I have to rave about the ball. The ball ultimately led to 4 birdies over 9 however due to a brain cramp on one hole I had a double bogey where I take birdie or par.

Greenside Spin

The jury is still out on this section due to GIR being hit 8 of 9. On the previously aforementioned first hole I flew the green. I hit a recovery lob and it landed bounced forward and left me 2 feet for the save.

Distance

Well the E5 is a Distance Control ball right? It did seem to be a bit longer (5 yards) off of driver or fairway woods off the tee. As far as irons go however I did not notice any discernable difference. In fact, it was the same as its cousin the RX. Remember the drive I mentioned earlier? I imagine the ball is a "softie" compared to others because compressing it wasn't a problem which likely led to the extra 5 yards off of driver/fairway. Except for the beast on 9.

Putting

The ball putted like a dream. Like most balls nowadays there is some sort of alignment aid for putting. This is where it says E5. I prefer a soft "click" with my putter and the E5 is a treasure and pleasure to putt. Staying on line was no problem.

Durability

Again the jury is still out. I only played 9 holes but there wasn't a mark to be had. Could the urethane cover cause a duability issue? That remains to be seen but if I were to write a hypothesis I would guess yes...based on most other urethane covered balls.

The Writer's Overall Impression

The Bridgestone E5 Distance Control is a real impressive ball especially considering its price point. It's a two-piece ball that I think has a chip on its shoulder. It flat out performed like a premium ball and at $26 a dozen it makes for a tough ball to pass up on. I will not compare it to the RX directly but I will say that I do have some considerations to make.

I score it an 8 out of 10 based on the fact that I could not test it greenside or test the durabilty. They are two "x-factors" that have to be weighed. This and its RX cousin could be enormous pearls in a huge ocean of oysters.

Alex

Of course feel is individual and this is based on my observation. Observations may vary.

Very detailed review, very nice! This was a great ball for me too.

great review and interesting read. I'll see if i can get fitted as well.

Great Write up NF. You liked the lack of spin that this ball had with your swing?

Can't beat $25 a dozen for good golf balls...nice write up.

Very nice review. I agree with everything you stated about the E5. It was my ball before I fell in love with the Q-star but I would game it again anytime. (Yellow E5 Bridgestone!!!) Chatting with Bridgestone about the dimples, they told me it shallows the decent angle as the old ones would fall steep with no roll. As for durability, it is the toughest urethane ball I have tried. Made me wonder if it was a different formula than the 330's. And yes, it is a dream off the putter.

Really nice review NF! I agree with everything you said about the e5, especially the "dream off the putter" and the "soft off the driver".

I've just started gaming the e5 along with the Precept iQ+ (See the Precept iQ+ testing thread for a bunch of stats that compare the iQ+ to both the e5, e6 and 330s). I've played 6 full rounds and a few other half rounds with the e5 and I'm loving how it gives me the distance I need to play the longer courses but still the nice soft feel I get from the Precept iQ+. It also seems to fly straighter than my older distance ball the NXT Tour. The e5 doesn't have the spin control that I get with the iQ+ around the greens and in my 100yd in game but it has enough control that if I don't do something stupid it will check up and "hop and stop" on typical greens. BUT on fast, hard greens, I've noticed that it does roll out a bit more than the iQ+ or the RXS which is the other ball I like to play.

And I agree with MHG, the durability of this ball is amazing. My 56* wedge can chew a really soft cover up and I haven't noticed any wear and tear but the normal that a ball gets during a round.

I would definitely recommend the e5 ball to folks and yes, the price point is fantastic, especially when when I think what I WAS paying for my ball.

Very good review Nf, I do occasionally use the e-5, usually in the fall, winter months when leaves are on the ground and it is easy to lose a ball in those leaves. It is a low cost alternative to the RX, and it performs almost as well.

Great Write up NF. You liked the lack of spin that this ball had with your swing?

Bulldogs:

Believe it or not the answer is yes. I've never had spin issues with driver or fairway from a balloon standpoint. Irons and wedges however is a totally different story. I've had too much spin. This ball (and the RX) seems to have the right amount of spin for my liking (the key being "my"). Ironically enough, my coach has a similar problem and he plays the Precept Laddie. For him the Laddie "lands like a butterfly with sore feet". It lands, bounces once and sticks. LOL..it's his quote.

Alex

Very nice review. I agree with everything you stated about the E5. It was my ball before I fell in love with the Q-star but I would game it again anytime. (Yellow E5 Bridgestone!!!) Chatting with Bridgestone about the dimples, they told me it shallows the decent angle as the old ones would fall steep with no roll. As for durability, it is the toughest urethane ball I have tried. Made me wonder if it was a different formula than the 330's. And yes, it is a dream off the putter.

Interesting about the dimples. I didn't notice the steep angles of decent with irons but on softish fairways there was no issue with driver where I have seen other balls land and stop in similar conditions.

Alex

Bulldogs:

Believe it or not the answer is yes. I've never had spin issues with driver or fairway from a balloon standpoint. Irons and wedges however is a totally different story. I've had too much spin. This ball (and the RX) seems to have the right amount of spin for my liking (the key being "my"). Ironically enough, my coach has a similar problem and he plays the Precept Laddie. For him the Laddie "lands like a butterfly with sore feet". It lands, bounces once and sticks. LOL..it's his quote.

Alex

Very interesting. I don't spin the ball much unless I have a wedge in my hand, and even then it is usually a dead stop or 1 hop. The only ball I've found that I am happy with the spin from irons and wedges is the Nike One Tour.....

I guess the lack of spin is to be expected with a 2 piece distance ball....Glad you found something that works.

BDG

Interesting about the dimples. I didn't notice the steep angles of decent with irons but on softish fairways there was no issue with driver where I have seen other balls land and stop in similar conditions.

Alex

I think this is where the distance gain comes from as you get more roll of the tee with the new dimples.

Dimple in dimple technology really bothers me for some reason. I cannot look at it and concentrate. Therefore they are eliminated. Give me Nike One Tours or Titleist Pro V's everyday...

Really great review. Covered pretty much everything possible, and very in-depth. I've been looking at the e5 too, but didn't find it as amazing as you (just my opinion though). As for the spin, while you like it, personally I don't, but whatever works right?

Dimple in dimple technology really bothers me for some reason. I cannot look at it and concentrate. Therefore they are eliminated. Give me Nike One Tours or Titleist Pro V's everyday...

Really? Most people I've talked to/heard from say that it's not too visible at address... although you might have great eyes. Personally, I agree with you, they are slightly visible, and especially when putting (which is unacceptable for me). I'm going to stay away from this ball, although might throw in a random hole from time to time with the one I have left over. For me, the spin isn't there, and there was too much rollout. So I'll be sticking with my Z-Star

Hey Gang:

Recently, I tried a new ball on the heels of the Blind Ball Test. Of course, most of us now know that the ball was the Bridgestone Tour B330 RX. A great ball that lived up to the remarks provided by the testers. It is a ball that I immediately purchased. With plans of course to stockpile.

Consequently, there was a thread that I started that thanked THP and of course the testers for their efforts and feedback on the ball. Ironically enough, I tried the ball selector tool on the Bridgestone site and twice it recommended to my surprise the E5. I honestly thought that I or the tool was ony slightly delusional. In the past, I've used other manufacturers ball selector tools and of course it always recommended the highest priced premium ball. Which I really don't have an issue with but I admit that there was a little shock involved when it said E5. In my "thanks" thread someone mentioned that I should try the recommended ball. So I bought a dozen... and went to the course to test. Here's how it went.

Player Bio

Gender - Male
Age - 39
Height - 6'0"
Weight - Too Much (218 lbs)
Dexterity - RH
Clubhead Speed - 115 mph
Status - Turned Professional 2011

Hmmmm... the Bridgestone E5 Distance Control.... a two-piece Urethane covered ball. Interesting. I pulled my shiny new Bridgestone E5 Distance Control out of the box and was reminded by looking at it that it's cover was "dimple in dimple". Did it bother me? No, not in the least. Afterall why should it?

Feel

To start off I began my round by teeing off with a fairway wood. The first hole at my course is a dog leg left with water to the left. Anything too far finds a tough fairway bunker which signals death... bogey or worse. I always warm-up with a 3 wood.. placing it usually centre left. This day was nothing different. The shot left the club with great velocity, a soft (see "light") feeling, and the ballflight was a tad higher than most of the others balls I experimented with but it was nothing out of the ordinary. Immediately, I was impressed by the feel. I wondered how this ball would feel compared to some premium offerings I've tested and this ball did not disappoint. Into a right to left hurting wind I played a PW from 138. The ball felt great... sort of a soft click and I was shocked to watch it land 15 yards past the target. I scrambled to save par. Regardless of this the E5 already made it on the feel front as far as I was concerned. Did I mention that the wind did not move it off line? All day long the feeling was replayed over and over again. Great feel not "harsh" at all as some balls have been. I only played 9 holes and on the last hole I took driver out. Yes it was downwind and I hit a monster drive (my longest ever 358) but the thing that really struck me was the fact that I could feel the E5 compress off of the clubface.

Approaches

This is a problem has plagued me all year with certain balls is on approach shots. Not missing the green so much but landing by the pin and the ball spinning too much and that leading towards low percentage first putts for birdie. For example... hitting a shot to within 2 feet and having 20+ for birdie. The greens were receptive due to recent wet conditions. Not full blown rain but it's been stereotypical Scottish weather here in Niagara. The E5 definitely passed this test with flying colours. I prefer a one hop and stop or maybe up to 5 feet of backspin. On greens where other balls would've spun back 20+ feet this ball on approaches backed up 3 feet once otherwise it landed and stuck. Slightly firmer greens would be interesting but for now I have to rave about the ball. The ball ultimately led to 4 birdies over 9 however due to a brain cramp on one hole I had a double bogey where I take birdie or par.

Greenside Spin

The jury is still out on this section due to GIR being hit 8 of 9. On the previously aforementioned first hole I flew the green. I hit a recovery lob and it landed bounced forward and left me 2 feet for the save.

Distance

Well the E5 is a Distance Control ball right? It did seem to be a bit longer (5 yards) off of driver or fairway woods off the tee. As far as irons go however I did not notice any discernable difference. In fact, it was the same as its cousin the RX. Remember the drive I mentioned earlier? I imagine the ball is a "softie" compared to others because compressing it wasn't a problem which likely led to the extra 5 yards off of driver/fairway. Except for the beast on 9.

Putting

The ball putted like a dream. Like most balls nowadays there is some sort of alignment aid for putting. This is where it says E5. I prefer a soft "click" with my putter and the E5 is a treasure and pleasure to putt. Staying on line was no problem.

Durability

Again the jury is still out. I only played 9 holes but there wasn't a mark to be had. Could the urethane cover cause a duability issue? That remains to be seen but if I were to write a hypothesis I would guess yes...based on most other urethane covered balls.

The Writer's Overall Impression

The Bridgestone E5 Distance Control is a real impressive ball especially considering its price point. It's a two-piece ball that I think has a chip on its shoulder. It flat out performed like a premium ball and at $26 a dozen it makes for a tough ball to pass up on. I will not compare it to the RX directly but I will say that I do have some considerations to make.

I score it an 8 out of 10 based on the fact that I could not test it greenside or test the durabilty. They are two "x-factors" that have to be weighed. This and its RX cousin could be enormous pearls in a huge ocean of oysters.

Alex

Of course feel is individual and this is based on my observation. Observations may vary.

Good write up Alex, I have played the E6 before but never the E5, if you are getting similar results to the RX at almost 20 bucks a box cheaper....I may need to check them out.

Good review! Have you considered getting iron/wedge shafts with a higher kick? That should give you a lower flight with less spin for the balls that spin too much. Anyways, glad you like this ball! It just isn't right for my game, but I've heard it's great fron others!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Nice review, there. I have been loving the e6, but would like a little more check-up on chips and pitches, so I'll definitely check this one out.

I played the e6 last year and liked it. I might try the e5 when I need more balls. Great right up!

How do the E5 and E6 compare? When I tried the online fitting it recommended the E6, but all I seem to see anymore is the 5,7

Thanks

How do the E5 and E6 compare? When I tried the online fitting it recommended the E6, but all I seem to see anymore is the 5,7

Thanks
The e5 will spin more than the e6. This is an advantage around the green (if you want the spin) but the e6 should fly a little straighter.

Nice observation.

Thanks for the write up. I have been liking these balls for some time now.

Nickalus this review was awesome! I am a huge fan of the e6, but I like it because it flies so straight. Glad you have enjoyed the e5 as I think Bridgestone does a great job with their ball offerings and fittings

great review i'll be putting the E5 into play soon myself

Back