Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

with my x18's I have on my good shots I would actually take some grass with the ball. With the distance gains I am seeing I am willing to adjust my sing to suit the club.

Nice round and congrats on your best of the year. I'm actually going right down after the ball trying to hit ball first and having pretty good results with it, even on the hardpan. Hope you get it figured out.

Great review guys! Looks like everyone is really liking these clubs.

My clubs came with midsized grips. They feel pretty big compared to the standard men's grips I'm used to playing but I seem to be handling them okay so far. I read that a grip that is too large can cause you not to release properly and miss right. Funny thing is that I have been hitting the ball pretty darn straight instead of pulling/drawing it. Thoughts?

Very nice review TBT. I like your rating system and sounds like you really gave these a nice workout. What did you think of the shaft as far as flex and just feel? I know you mentioned light, was that just the overall weight of the club or the flex?

Sig change as per marcawesome's request complete.

Nice writeup and vids, Due. You look cold... brrrrrr.

I'll be heading out to the range later so I'm hoping a little more writeup and vids for the PM session.

+1 on the sig change, good suggestion Yoccos, and +1 on duey's review. Gotta say though that KellyBo nailed it, duey does sound like Jeff Foxworthy, in a good way. LOL. I loved it when duey was talking about the wind and said it just like we do in Georgia, the wind was 50 mile an owwer, not 50 miles an hour. Great stuff duey.

Great stuff there KB, looks like you and OG had a great day testing the Adams out, I had a funeral to attend this morning so I got out this afternoon to the practice range, I really enjoyed myself. Report to follow in a short while.

+1 on the sig change, good suggestion Yoccos, and +1 on duey's review. Gotta say though that KellyBo nailed it, duey does sound like Jeff Foxworthy, in a good way. LOL. I loved it when duey was talking about the wind and said it just like we do in Georgia, the wind was 50 mile an owwer, not 50 miles an hour. Great stuff duey.

Hahahaha, that's just great coming from the colonel :banghead: Thanks buddy, I might be a redneck!

I made it out to the driving range; unfortunately I didn't get any useable video. Most of them either had me in them, or part of the club in them, in any case, not good at all, so therefore will not be included in this post. It was kind of chilly to start, temps in mid 50s so I had pants and a jacket.

I was very excited to get these out to hit some balls, and starting with the hybrids, these didn't disappoint. Distances were as long or longer than what I am used to with my HB3's, despite having a strong wind blowing into my face. I'm thinking in normal conditions, these are at least a club longer than the Clevelands. I flew my 5H 165 yards several times, 150 is my normal good shot. As far as the Velocity Slot, I had no issues with dirt collecting in the sole nor distraction from seeing the slot at address. By the end, I had forgotten it was even there.

The irons I had a little bit of trouble with, as they are much different than the HB3 line. While the Adams still have a wider than normal sole, they are much more iron-like than the HB3, which have a very wide sole and are more hybridlike throughout the set. I chunked my share of them, but by the end, I had more good shots than bad shots! My good shots were consistently as far as the HB3, even with the wind. Like the hybrids, the irons seem to be a club longer than what I am hitting now. I hit a few off the toe that still went straight, but not quite as far as the center hits.

Ball trajectory on the both irons and hybrids is higher than I'm used to, but the distance is better as well. I haven't seen a loft chart on the a12 OS yet, but higher and farther is good in my book. Ballooning was mentioned earlier, and at this point, I don't think the higher flight is any indication of balloning, because when I think of that, I think of higher and shorter. Since these are longer as well, I think the higher ball flight is just part of that,

Day one with the Adams set was a mixed success for me. Adjusting to the hybrids isn't going to be a problem; I'm going to have more problems remembering that they go farther than I'm used to, than with figuring out how to hit them. The irons are going to be more of a work in progress. Two years hitting hybrid irons is going to require a little bit of a learning curve to hit a more traditional (in comparison) iron. After one day, I have no complaints, and the plan is to hit my course tomorrow and see what happens. I'm thinking now that I'll consider leaving my woods at home and just bring the irons. We'll see if I can go through with it tomorrow! Video should be part of the plan tomorrow, again, by myself, it could be pretty interesting.

Nice round and congrats on your best of the year. I'm actually going right down after the ball trying to hit ball first and having pretty good results with it, even on the hardpan. Hope you get it figured out.

I will give that a try. Im sure it will lower my loft a little but i will compensate with club selection

Come on Smallie, you saw my goofed up video's, lol. Great job on the review, I had forgotten that you had the full hybrid set before. I'm thinking you may actually pick these up pretty quickly. How well did the flex fit your swing in this graphite?

I made it out to the driving range; unfortunately I didn't get any useable video. Most of them either had me in them, or part of the club in them, in any case, not good at all, so therefore will not be included in this post. It was kind of chilly to start, temps in mid 50s so I had pants and a jacket..

Great one small. I have accepted the high ball flight and use it to my advantage and stick the greens. Im sure it will be differnt when I play in some wind but I think I can deal with it.

I will give that a try. Im sure it will lower my loft a little but i will compensate with club selection

Actually, coming down on the ball in that way works just the opposite of what you would think. Your compressing the ball and many people see a bit higher ball flight than if they sweep, plus more distance and a straighter shot, or at least less push/pull. Good luck.

Come on Smallie, you saw my goofed up video's, lol. Great job on the review, I had forgotten that you had the full hybrid set before. I'm thinking you may actually pick these up pretty quickly. How well did the flex fit your swing in this graphite?
But yours actually had shots in them! The ones I had didn't have a single ball in them!

I think the flex (Regular) was the right choice, I assume JB made that decision, and it appears to be the right one. For the first time gaming graphite shafts, I think it will be a pretty easy adjustment.

On a side note, I called Robin Nigro's to check on fitting, and they will fit me for $100. The guy I talked to didn't know about the cost of bending them to my specs, but took my number for a fitter to call me tomorrow. I also called Club MD, who is rated in the top 100 in the nation, but they closed at 6 and I didn't call until 6:15. So I'll call them tomorrow too.

Mentioned to the guy at Nigro's that I would only want the lie angles changed and would want to keep the shafts the same. They might shorten them, but I don't think Adams would appreciate a shaft change, and I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

I'll be honest, after reading this thread, I kind of want to hit these, especially the hybrids. More so b/c I'm interested in that velocity slot.

+1. I've been struggling hitting Mashie off the deck lately. I kind of like the looks of these and the velocity slot has me intrigued

Very nice review TBT. I like your rating system and sounds like you really gave these a nice workout. What did you think of the shaft as far as flex and just feel? I know you mentioned light, was that just the overall weight of the club or the flex?

The shafts seem to match my swing very well, I have really been working on a nice smooth tempo and these shafts are producing about a clubs more distance with a high soft ball flight without feeling like I have to "go after it". I will really know more once I get them on the course...I always seem to hit the ball well on the range :D

Great updates, testers.

Smalls, I imagine it will be a mental and visual adjustment going to true irons. Thanks for the good, honest feedback!

Actually, coming down on the ball in that way works just the opposite of what you would think. Your compressing the ball and many people see a bit higher ball flight than if they sweep, plus more distance and a straighter shot, or at least less push/pull. Good luck.
Wow ok. well Im deff dong that. Hopefully it will help my shots from fading to the right at the end like they usually do. If I get any higher on my shots I will be knocking planes out of the air though. I know what you are talking about though because now thinking about it i have done that type of shot by accedent a few times and saw good results.

Very nice update smalls, this testing group is really brining it right from the start. You guys and gal, have me wanting to try these hybrids ASAP, as I've said throughout the thread. I will be keeping a good eye on this testing.

But yours actually had shots in them! The ones I had didn't have a single ball in them!

I think the flex (Regular) was the right choice, I assume JB made that decision, and it appears to be the right one. For the first time gaming graphite shafts, I think it will be a pretty easy adjustment.

On a side note, I called Robin Nigro's to check on fitting, and they will fit me for $100. The guy I talked to didn't know about the cost of bending them to my specs, but took my number for a fitter to call me tomorrow. I also called Club MD, who is rated in the top 100 in the nation, but they closed at 6 and I didn't call until 6:15. So I'll call them tomorrow too.

Mentioned to the guy at Nigro's that I would only want the lie angles changed and would want to keep the shafts the same. They might shorten them, but I don't think Adams would appreciate a shaft change, and I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

That's great you can get it done right there at a good price. I think I'll get mine done at Golftec in Omaha while I'm up there, I don't really trust the places down here.

Great updates, testers.

Smalls, I imagine it will be a mental and visual adjustment going to true irons. Thanks for the good, honest feedback!

I didn't even think about it until I was standing over my first hit with the irons. Hopefully it will be a quick adjustment!

Wow ok. well Im deff dong that. Hopefully it will help my shots from fading to the right at the end like they usually do. If I get any higher on my shots I will be knocking planes out of the air though. I know what you are talking about though because now thinking about it i have done that type of shot by accedent a few times and saw good results.

I hope it works buddy, its not for everyone. Some people sweep the ball and some pick or dig, but its sure helped my iron shots this year.

OK today was the 1st time on the range with the clubs as I had taken them to the course each of the 1st 3 days I have had them. I decided not to video today and simply hit each club multiple times to really just enjoy them without the distraction of trying to score. So far the honeymoon is still on. Just a few thoughts on the irons.

Hybrids - these are still my favorite clubs in the set and I have no trouble in drawing or fading the hybrids. The word that comes to mind to me with these clubs is playability, these hybrids have a megadose of it.

Irons - these clubs have been fun to hit to me, they still seem to want to miss left and certainly are shorter in shaft length than what I had before. I think I would really enjoy these more witht the specs adjusted for my swing. I will not be playing tomorrow so I plan to look into making some changes to the clubs. I will check with JB for approval before doing anything.

Overall impression - this is a quality set and I am glad that the Prolaunch Blue graphite shaft is in my irons and hybrids, I am not having the transition issues reported by some. These clubs good looking to me, I like the red and black color combination a lot and look forward to getting them on the course again Saturday.\

Edit - Several folks have spoken about the low temps today, it was 96* here when I left the driving range at 6:15.

Great updates fellas! Just got back to sitting down on the ole Mac and I have a ton of video from my range session today. If my words that I'm not an internet golfer isn't enough then you'll see some duffness out of these videos. Had some great shots and even workabilitied the ball a little (and it was on video). I got to hit all the clubs and save some more adjusting these are really intriguing me.

I got to hear the "ping" off the hybrids for the first time. Not that it's a bad thing, just different than what I'm used to. These definitely have a high ball flight. I did get to hit some low piercers with the 6h when I placed the ball back in my stance (also on video). My misses were straight pulls, especially in the beginning of the session. I noticed that when I eased off a bit then I got to where I wanted the ball to go. Definitely a product of the lighter shafts for me. Apart from the occasional mishit, I really hit the balls well today (one of my better range sessions to date). Mishits were also not punishing, even topping the ball I got it to go straight and had some "go" on it.

Videos upcoming and I hope you guys get to watch at least some of it. I separated them by club so it'll be a bit easier to get through.

Nice review smalls. Let me know where you end up doing your fitting and the costs to bend and stuff as I may be in the market for that once my KBS shafts come.

Great job DD and Spank. Sounds like you both put these through the paces. DD, I don't know how you can play these as well as you can without having them lengthened as tall as you are. Can't wait to see the vids Spank, but bedtime is calling with work early tomorrow.

Good reviews DawgDaddy and Spank, I look forward to more thoughts and videos.

Back