Thread: HOOKS?!

Handicap
    Thanks

HOOKS?!

I'm having a problem with a big hook on all my iron shots and most of my driver shots. The wedge will go straight as will the FWs, but the others hook. Can you give me a simple fix? I'll try and get a video next time I'm at the range.

Official Improvement Center of THP GolfTEC's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    A simple fix that works really well most of the time is trying to "spin out". Purposely try to get the hips way ahead of the hands on the downswing. A lot of cases of the hooks that I see are because the lower body stalls and the hands "catch up" and turn over.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
    GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA
    Asking a Pro is great, but click here to start working with one.

www.facebook.com/golftec

Handicap
    Thanks
    The hook I'm still having is the ball starting straight, then hooking in the middle of the flight. By the laws of ball flight that would mean my swing path is straight and the clubface is closed. What can I do to square up the face at impact without actually opening the face at address?

Handicap
    Thanks
    Sounds like you're coming over the top (if it's not a snap hook). Aim right and play it. Otherwise, maybe weaken your grip a bit and see if that helps. I've also heard that if you're a rightie and you grip/squeeze tight with the middle, ring, and pinky fingers of your left hand you will not hit it left.

Don't do all of those at the same time or you'll end up in the woods!

Best!

urielsatchmoortegaMR.Jinx Mr. Satchmo's Avatar
    Handicap
    MR. Jinx
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIcemann View Post
    The hook I'm still having is the ball starting straight, then hooking in the middle of the flight. By the laws of ball flight that would mean my swing path is straight and the clubface is closed. What can I do to square up the face at impact without actually opening the face at address?
    Try making your grip more neutral to weak, you may be starting the swing with a grip that's much to strong that's closing the face. ANother thing is if you are using too much fingers and too little palm on your left hand, the face can be closed like 30* without you seeing it and yes if I understand this correctly your ball flight is an indication of a good path-closed face combo (I'm assuming you did what Trevor said to fix already)
    Formerly Leiruagetro
    WITB
    R11 TP Driver 9.5˚
    R11 TP 3 Wood 14˚
    R11s 5 wood 19˚
    R11 4 Rescue 21˚
    Burner 2.0 5-PW
    RacZ TP 52˚
    ATV 56˚
    White ICE #7 Thnx Wonton!

Thanks to THP, Champ golf, Taylormade Golf and Chromax golf for Testing

Handicap
    Thanks
    I thinks it's your swing path. you might be coming over the top or dropping in. I had the same problem and the best way to fix it is to try to swing on the same plain