• Other

Votes: 24 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dhjkelly

BOO
Reaction score
Handicap
i'm looking for a bit of help. i normally play 2 types of ball, depending on course and weather conditions, an affordable ball in the form of Callaway diablo tour. my less affordable however is giving me a few problems. i'm kinda stuck between the Callaway tour i(s) and the new Titleist pro v 1x. i have used the tour i(s) before and taught they were only ok but ddec has convinced my to give them another go. i recently found a pro v 1x and played it for 2 rounds till i lost it but i have to say i was really impressed how it handled off the tee as my driver spin is up a bit these are designed to lower driver spin which i found really helpful.
my question given the choice which would you go for ?????
thank dave

How come you are limiting yourself to 2 choices? Do you have a chance to do a ball fitting? If you cant do one in person, I would try the b-fit baner at the top of the page and any other we fitting tools out there.

you should get fitted to see which ball fits your game.
on a personal note - i prefer neither as i've learned that they both spin too much for ME. I grew tired of sticking it close to the pin only to find out i've spun back 10+ feet.

I'm a big fan of Callaway balls and don't like Titleists for some reason.

They key though is to work out what will suit you best and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think you should limit yourself to just two, there are so many options out there now that it's not funny and a bunch of them could give you really good results as well as the two you listed.

Do the ball fitting. I want to play a ball thats for my game and if it costs $40 a dozen than so be it. For me its the Bridgestone B-330RX or the Taylormade Penta. While cleaning my truck out on Sunday I found 2 box's of Pentas! It was like christmas morning.

i'm looking for a bit of help. i normally play 2 types of ball, depending on course and weather conditions, an affordable ball in the form of Callaway diablo tour. my less affordable however is giving me a few problems. i'm kinda stuck between the Callaway tour i(s) and the new Titleist pro v 1x. i have used the tour i(s) before and taught they were only ok but ddec has convinced my to give them another go. i recently found a pro v 1x and played it for 2 rounds till i lost it but i have to say i was really impressed how it handled off the tee as my driver spin is up a bit these are designed to lower driver spin which i found really helpful.
my question given the choice which would you go for ?????
thank dave

Try a Bridgestone E6, it is designed to minimize a fade or slice.

As stated above, do yourself a favor and get fitted. BU I would also try your final 3-4 balls in action on the course.

As everyone has already pointed out, go through a ball fitting. It is just as important as a club fitting.

The odd thing to me is you aren't even comparing the two balls from each line that are similar. I would think you would like the Tour i(Z) to compete against the Pro V1X. I'm confused. Either way Callaway makes a better ball.

The odd thing to me is you aren't even comparing the two balls from each line that are similar. I would think you would like the Tour i(Z) to compete against the Pro V1X. I'm confused. Either way Callaway makes a better ball.

+1 on this.

I would get fitted for a ball, or at a minimum click the B-Fit link at the top of the page and do the bridgestone online fitting!

i know i should do a ball fitting as i see it as just as important as club fitting but my only problem is that here in ireland shops wont do ball fitting. no idea why i guess i should have stated that as the start sorry. i'm ruling out the tour i(z) because i have used them in the past and found that given my ball flight being low -medium that the i(z) kept the ball flight even lower which was really killing me with short irons.

You should do the online Bridgestone fitting. They make great balls IMO.

I did a ball fitting myself and was fitted for the Bridgestone e6 ball and it has been great for me. I wanted to change it up a little bit and when with the TaylorMade Penta which is also a great ball. No reason to limit yourself just because of brand name. I would hit a ball made by K-Mart if it helped my game out.

i know i should do a ball fitting as i see it as just as important as club fitting but my only problem is that here in ireland shops wont do ball fitting. no idea why i guess i should have stated that as the start sorry. i'm ruling out the tour i(z) because i have used them in the past and found that given my ball flight being low -medium that the i(z) kept the ball flight even lower which was really killing me with short irons.

Look at the top of this page, see the Bridgestone ball fitting banner. Click on that or go to titleist site, they both have them on the net. Or with Bridgestone you can call them as well.

I did a ball fitting myself and was fitted for the Bridgestone e6 ball and it has been great for me. I wanted to change it up a little bit and when with the TaylorMade Penta which is also a great ball. No reason to limit yourself just because of brand name. I would hit a ball made by K-Mart if it helped my game out.
i'm not biased against other balls i have tried a lot of different balls over the last few months. just feel that both those balls best suited my game

I have been hitting a Bridgestone e5 over the past month or so with great success, plenty of distance, enough spin to hold even with as dry as it is here in TX right now and they are cheap. I have almost switched over entirely to this ball and away from the Penta and the TM TP Black. Penta is probably still going to be my go to ball right now for any serious golf but the e5 is getting a lot of play. I am not convinced that a 17 handicap such as yourself benefits much from the extra spin and the compression needed to get good distance from a ProV1 or a Callaway. Just my general opinion.

I would consider the callaway I(z) if you're comparing to the prov1x..

Like others have said, definitely try out the Bridgestone ball fitting. You'll find the perfect ball that way. I'm actually about to make the switch to the B330 S myself.

bit of an update. thank you to everyone for the help, i did the bridgestone online ball fitting which came up with the E5. i also did the titleist online ball fitting which came up with the prov 1x. i think i'll leave the tour i(s) for another day thanks again for the help

bit of an update. thank you to everyone for the help, i did the bridgestone online ball fitting which came up with the E5. i also did the titleist online ball fitting which came up with the prov 1x. i think i'll leave the tour i(s) for another day thanks again for the help

Glad you found another option in the E5. keep us updated on your thoughts.

another update, i went to a few different stores to get a box of prov 1x and E5, unfortunitly couldn't get my hands on any E5's anywhere they all only had E6's and i wasn't sure if they were along the same line as the E5 but i'll keep looking. i did however buy a box of prov 1X which i put into play yesterday and all i can say is HOLY CRAP what an amazing golf ball. my driving was very very poor yesterday so i wont judge the prov on that just yet (got good distance though). hybrids and long irons felt really solid off the clubface i used me 3 hybrid from 5 shot par 4's finding 2 fairways with an average distance of 200 yards. mid irons were amazing again feeling solid and even got a 6i to stop dead on a par 3 (first time ever) as i usually have a lower ball flight the pro v seemed to climb higher in the air giving my flight a much better flights. short irons gave pretty much the same amazing results as the mid irons. the putter felt really soft and rolled true, i have to say i was really confident standing over the prov with the putter yesterday. as for the durability after 17 holes (where i lost it) it held up quite well even though i had taken a few chunks off of it with my wedges. all in all i was very impressed with the Pro V 1X and at €40 for a dozen quite reasonable considering the Callaway Diablo Tour were €29 for a dozen

Srixon z star xv (pricier) and q star (affordable)
I play the penta and recently played the z and q star and loved them. Very nice balls

I played early this year with Taylormade TP black, Bridgestone e5 and e6. Settled on the e6, played it the rest of the year, and like it alot. The e6 has adequate spin for my game, and I enjoy the straight flight and feel. I just have never seen a major payoff for my game for the higher priced balls.

Back