Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

I think that the V2 cavity looks different angles. Keep in mind that many of them are extremely close up as well.

9/18/11 Waterlefe Golf & River Club - 18 Holes
88* (at start of round), 10 mph Winds, blowing North to South.

​Waterlefe is a beautiful course down here, and seriously has water on every hole. I haven't played out at this course in quite some time, but was glad to get back to it. Didnt make it to the course in time to hit range, but had some good time on the range yesterday so felt confident enough to just hit the first tee with my group. Overall it was a good day, shot an 83, w/ no birdies and some incredible par putts. I was driving the ball well, but was really pleased with how I hit the irons today. Enough of this, on with the review.

The course did get crowded as the day progressed, but was able to grab a couple videos.

Distance: Distance has been talked about a good bit of times when it comes to the irons. I posted the other day that typically, I hit my 7i around 170, and was seeing with the V2 7i right around 160 yards. The distances of the V2s are exactly one club less than my current set of Burner 2.0s, which has all to do with the loft of the irons. I was seeing distances that I expected to see with the V2s, and as I chose my shot, would base the decision on going an extra club than what I normally play. Some shots that stood out to me today (that I didnt get video of) were;
Hole #8, 122 yards to center of the green, I grabbed the 9i (would normally hit PW), and absolutely struck the ball as good as I could. Landed on the back of the green and rolled off (I gps'd the distance to my ball mark before it rolled off the back of the green to 132 yards). I was glad to see that even though these clubs are a bit shorter, a well struck shot can still get great distance.
Hole #16, Interesting hole, water came across the fairway at 240 yards, followed by bunkers in front of the green. I decided to hit 4 Iron off the tee, and struck it well hitting dead center of the fairway, GPS'd to 212 yards with wind coming directly at us.)
Videos;
This is the 2nd hole, with 166 yards left to the pin, with a wildlife area/creek running just in front of the green. I hit 6 Iron, landing on the green, short of the pin. Having only hit these on the range, wasnt sure how it would react when it came down on the green. I was pleased with the results.
Spoiler
[video=youtube;V3froN-j69A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3froN-j69A[/video]

And the results of the shot...
Spoiler
photo1-2.jpg

This is the 6th hole, again with 6 iron. 2nd shot of the par 5, with a green that is dogleg right of the trees a ways ahead. Hit 6 Iron, 172 yards, about left into the green.
Spoiler

Next is the 7th hole, I am 205 out, with a dogleg going to the left behind the trees ahead of me. Wasnt sure if I would be able to get a 5 Iron over the trees, or if I could draw it enough to get it toward the green. Struck the ball well, leaving it about 30 yards short of the green. The ball got up in a hurry, and had no problem clearing the trees.
Spoiler

Last video I was able to grab, Hole 12, 122 yards to center of the green. With the V2s I felt I should have hit a 9i, but due to getting an incredible shot from my 9 earlier, I went with the PW. The wind was coming directly at me, so I should have clubbed up but stuck with the PW. Ball was held up by the wind, was about 10 yards short of the green. I feel if the wind wasnt there, this would have been an excellent shot.
Spoiler

Feel: When you hit a pure shot with the V2s, you barely feel anything at all. They cut through the turf very easily, and just feel smooth at impact. One thing I noticed during my range session, and remembered during my round today was to concentrate on a smooth swing, to ensure solid contact with the ball. As far as forgivness, there is a little bit, but not much. Like I said, I am concentrating more on getting a solid, smooth swing on the ball, which is helping me hit these better. On shots that I just tried to "grip and rip" or rushed too much, the results of the shot were not very good. If my swing was too steep, these clubs would cut directly into the ground, causing a "chunking" type shot and an enormous divot.

Ball Flight: I was seeing lower ball flight than I am used to on the range yesterday, but did not see the same results hitting them today. I was able to get the ball up in the air fairly easily, and had some nice high shots. In the video above, I was really surprised that I could get the 5 iron up high enough to clear the tree. The 9I and PW get the ball up an absolute hurry, really want to spend some time on the short game area to see how they preform for me on a consistent basis.
Continuing on ball flight, my usual miss is a fade with my irons. With the V2s today, my miss was a push left (didnt see many hooks). I didnt have the need to work to many balls today, but the one shot I needed to hit a draw on, I was able to do so with good success.

Overall Iron Play: My go to irons today were my 6 and 7, I felt at home with these irons in hand, and felt that I could do what I needed to do when it came to these. The shorter irons, 8,9,PW worked very well for me, really able to get the ball up in the air with a nice landing (on those times I hit the green). As far as the long irons go, I was impressed with these. I teed off with the 4I once today rather than hit my hybrid, and had great results, getting the ball right down the fairway, with great distance but not in the hazzards (bunkers left and right, water straight ahead). I was very impressed with the ability to get the ball up in the air with the 5 Iron. I was having some internal conflict with if I should just layup and go around the tree, but decided to try and get the 5 Iron up, and it worked out well.

Going in to my round today, being a Mid-Handicapper and typically playing a rather forgiving iron set, I wasnt sure what to think of how I would play. These are a "players iron" but do offer some forgiveness. I had my share of mis-hits today, as I usually do, but I was pleased with my overall play today with the V2s. They are definitely tougher to hit than irons I normally play, but with the more I hit them, the more comfortable I get with them. I had to focus a lot on my swing today, but having to focus in and concentrate on each and every swing can only make one a better player, regardless of the clubs you are using.

Testing Date: 9/18/2011
9 hole round - full size course
Conditions: Rain, breezy, and chilly - 55°

I woke up pretty bummed to see the weather today. Ugh. I will play in rain, but I don't love it. I intended to play 18 holes, but decided to stop after 9 due to slow play and rain. Finishing score was a 46, which is very average for me. Interestingly, I hit the irons very well. I was pretty bad off the tee and had 18 putts today.

I played a 4 iron today for the first time in almost two years during a 'real' round. I replaced my 27° hybrid with it. Definitely getting out of my comfort zone, but I want to learn to hit irons well and there is only one way to do that.

Playability:

I've thought for a long time that an iron like this should be too hard for me to hit. Small amount of offset, small club head, limited forgiveness, etc. It really became real when I saw how small the V2's were. I was nervous that I wouldn't hit them well and I'd go out and shoot a score 10 strokes higher than normal.

I can hit these irons. In fact, I have hit good shots with every single one of them. I hit good shots with each one that I used today. I hit some bad shots as well, but I have no problem getting the ball in the air and well struck shots are rewarded with a good ball flight. I feel confident with them in my hand that I can hit the sweetspot. I know that I will never hit it all the time, but I feel like I have a good shot at it.

I love the balance and how they feel to swing. They seem very smooth through the swing to me and have been really good from a variety of lies. I'm not scared of these irons and I don't think anybody around my ability should be either. They may not be the most forgiving, but they can be hit well.

Featured Shot - 165 yards from medium rough - e6 - V2 4 iron - This was an uphill shot to the green. I had to drop into the rough since I hooked a hybrid into a lake. I took the 4 iron on a guess because of the uphill green and I didn't want to be short. I wanted to hit something that made it to the back of the green. This is a shot I just would never normally take with an iron. I hit it a slightly behind the ball and it flew on a mid-low trajectory, but very straight. I ended up on the very back edge of the green. I felt so confident after that shot. It wasn't perfect, but I learned that I can hit a green from a dicey situation.

Featured Shot - 150 yards to green from fairway - e6 - V2 6 iron - This is a shot that I'd normally take a 7 iron for. The hole was a dogleg and I had to go over a small tree into the green. I've had some struggles with my old 6 iron, but I haven't had that problem with the V2 yet. I hit a perfect shot that hit the middle of the green, but rolled out almost pin high onto the fringe. I two-putted for par (well, one putt technically), so it was a successful hole for me.

Feel

The V2's have an exceptional sound and feel when struck well. As I've noted before, the seem to be fairly quiet and soft sounding. The feel in hand on well struck shots is almost like hitting nothing at all. I love the feel and I love the sound. It's really just sublime.

Featured Shot - Par 3 155 yards - Yellow e6 - V2 6 iron - This was the second hole and the second swing I'd taken with an iron today. The course does not have a range. I chose to play the e6 today as I like it's softness in cooler weather. Wind was slightly in my face. I hit the ball clean and was rewarded with a low toned, pleasing whack, that seemed to make me feel that the ball was going to rocket off the face. I immediately knew it was a good shot. Sadly, it was about 5 yards short and I ended up in a bunker. Club selection!

I saw something war.eagle wrote about not being able to detect mishits that well and before today I agreed with him 100%. I still do agree with him that I haven't really been able to notice any shots out on the toe or heel. However, I hit a poor shot today that I felt.

Featured Shot - 185 yard Par 3 - Yellow e6 - V2 4 iron - I really should have used my hybrid for this shot, but I'm testing irons and I want to them. I hit a rotten shot that was basically bladed. It hurt! Well, sort of. My left ring finger basically went numb for five minutes after I hit this shot. I need to not do that again! It was a bit chilly and I had soaked rain gloves on. Cold definitely makes things like that more noticeable.
I'm running out of time (writing this during my son's nap), but I'll have more thoughts on the weekend over the next couple days as things come to my mind. Please ask questions if you have them!

Wow War.Eagle, great great review. Glad to see you are striking these well

Nice write up WE! Agree completely about the players irons and turf interaction. Those sharper leading edges will make you pay if you come in too steep where you are used to perhaps bouncing into the ball with some GI irons. You and I are having very similar initial interactions with our respective testing. Glad to see the long irons working well so quickly.

Interested in the long term forgiveness factor in comparison to your 2.0's.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Good looking swing, war.eagle! I'm jealous seeing you in shorts and sun shine. Thanks for a thorough update!

Going in to my round today, being a Mid-Handicapper and typically playing a rather forgiving iron set, I wasnt sure what to think of how I would play. These are a "players iron" but do offer some forgiveness. I had my share of mis-hits today, as I usually do, but I was pleased with my overall play today with the V2s. They are definitely tougher to hit than irons I normally play, but with the more I hit them, the more comfortable I get with them. I had to focus a lot on my swing today, but having to focus in and concentrate on each and every swing can only make one a better player, regardless of the clubs you are using.

WE, that is SOOOO well put right there. Excellent write up on the round buddy, I'm really enjoying reading along...and dude, you have got a nice swing.

Wow War.Eagle, great great review. Glad to see you are striking these well

Thanks, so far I am enjoying hitting these. I am having my share of mis-hits, dont get me wrong, but I am hitting some beautiful shots as well.

Nice write up WE! Agree completely about the players irons and turf interaction. Those sharper leading edges will make you pay if you come in too steep where you are used to perhaps bouncing into the ball with some GI irons. You and I are having very similar initial interactions with our respective testing. Glad to see the long irons working well so quickly.

Interested in the long term forgiveness factor in comparison to your 2.0's.

Tappin' from my iPad!
They will throw out some divots, thats for sure. Kind of like Hawk, I had a similar experience out there today. Was bit too steep on my swing, and really got down into the ball. Shot wasnt terrible, but I thought my right wrist was going to fall off. It was painful.

Good looking swing, war.eagle! I'm jealous seeing you in shorts and sun shine. Thanks for a thorough update!

Felt great when we hit the first tee, but 18 it was up to 97* and was sweltering hot. Was thankful there was wind out there today.

Pretty wild that we both are coming from some very long irons, war.eagle.

It will be interesting to see how we feel about the change in distance in a couple months. I will be hitting the 6 iron often since I'm short off the tee. I was glad to see that I can hit it high and easy. That 150 distance is an important one for me to be confident from.

WE, that is SOOOO well put right there. Excellent write up on the round buddy, I'm really enjoying reading along...and dude, you have got a nice swing.

Thanks. Honestly, up until I bought my flip camera a few weeks ago, I had never seen my own swing.

Pretty wild that we both are coming from some very long irons, war.eagle.

It will be interesting to see how we feel about the change in distance in a couple months. I will be hitting the 6 iron often since I'm short off the tee. I was glad to see that I can hit it high and easy. That 150 distance is an important one for me to be confident from.

Im similar, to keep my drives under control and in play, I usually have to slow my swing down some, so I lose some of my distance. I tend to have a lot of shots that are around 150 yards in, typically I go with an 8 iron, so having to get comfortable with the 7 iron from the V2 is a must. On the range with the V2 7i, I was not getting the kind of ball flight I wanted to see, it was lower than what I wanted/needed. But on the course today, was very pleased with the height and ball flight I was seeing.

Distance issues are one thing I shouldn't need to worry about with these as the lofts should be right in line with the MP 53's I am currently gaming. Glad to see you guys becoming fairly comfortable with these so quickly.

Some very interesting thoughts so far. I really liked how yall explained your own personal games before doing too much testing.

I've tried to highlight both the good and bad shots I've had with these irons, but in the interest of being completely transparent, I thought I'd highlight my three worst shots for you all. Can't say I would have had better results with a different club or that I wouldn't have.

Bad Shot 1 - 150 yards to green from high rough - V2 6 iron - My drive put me in the right rough. I actually didn't think I'd have a shot at all, but I had a clear view of the green, which was a little elevated. I chose the 6 iron since the pin was up front and I figured it could get me to the center under normal circumstance. I hit the ball a little fat. Nothing horrible, but not good. The ball went on a low trajectory, bounced into the hill below the green about 15 yards short. It then bounced up to about 4-5 yards short of the green right in the middle. It was ugly, but not a horrible miss.

Bad Shot 2 - 150 yards to green, ball above my feet in the rough - V2 5 iron - My tee shot was in the rough and I hit a pathetic punch shot that left me 150 out on severe slope with the ball above my feet. I really didn't know what to do and felt defeated already. I choked up on the 5 iron and tried to play for it to hook due to the lie. I hit it thin and ugly and it topspinned itself about 85 yards into some more rough. Boo.

Bad Shot 3 - 187 yard par 3 - 4 iron - First, a disclaimer: I had no business hitting this club for this shot. I am most comfortable from this distance with my hybrid choked down a tiny bit. Still, I wanted to hit the irons, so I grabbed the 4 iron. I hit it fat and a bit over the top. The result was a big, high push with a little fade spin. It was a good 20 yards to the right of the green and about even with the front of the green. This was probably my worst shot of the day. This shot resulted in a double since I two jacked with a wedge and two putted from where it landed.

I've tried to highlight both the good and bad shots I've had with these irons, but in the interest of being completely transparent, I thought I'd highlight my three worst shots for you all. Can't say I would have had better results with a different club or that I wouldn't have.

Bad Shot 1 - 150 yards to green from high rough - V2 6 iron - My drive put me in the right rough. I actually didn't think I'd have a shot at all, but I had a clear view of the green, which was a little elevated. I chose the 6 iron since the pin was up front and I figured it could get me to the center under normal circumstance. I hit the ball a little fat. Nothing horrible, but not good. The ball went on a low trajectory, bounced into the hill below the green about 15 yards short. It then bounced up to about 4-5 yards short of the green right in the middle. It was ugly, but not a horrible miss.

Bad Shot 2 - 150 yards to green, ball above my feet in the rough - V2 5 iron - My tee shot was in the rough and I hit a pathetic punch shot that left me 150 out on severe slope with the ball above my feet. I really didn't know what to do and felt defeated already. I choked up on the 5 iron and tried to play for it to hook due to the lie. I hit it thin and ugly and it topspinned itself about 85 yards into some more rough. Boo.

Bad Shot 3 - 187 yard par 3 - 4 iron - First, a disclaimer: I had no business hitting this club for this shot. I am most comfortable from this distance with my hybrid choked down a tiny bit. Still, I wanted to hit the irons, so I grabbed the 4 iron. I hit it fat and a bit over the top. The result was a big, high push with a little fade spin. It was a good 20 yards to the right of the green and about even with the front of the green. This was probably my worst shot of the day. This shot resulted in a double since I two jacked with a wedge and two putted from where it landed.

I like how you highlighted your bad shots as well Hawk. I know my misses are usually either a push or a thinned shot. I try my best to forget my bad shots as soon as I hit them.

I don't really let them get in my head. Many times I learn from them looking back. Most of the time I only remember the good ones later on when I reminisce :)

I just wanted to note that you guys are doing a great job with these irons. I don't think it has been done, but can somebody get some contact close up videos with these irons? I think it would be pretty cool to see and hear that. Thanks for all the great work you guys are doing.

I will get some more video this week. The rain today forced me to leave my good camera at home and I kept the phone in a plastic baggie :)

The second post in the thread has something like you're asking for, but it's sort of behind the ball.

I will get some more video this week. The rain today forced me to leave my good camera at home and I kept the phone in a plastic baggie :)

The second post in the thread has something like you're asking for, but it's sort of behind the ball.

Thanks man. I will go and check that out. There have been some great videos in here and I have a hard time remembering them all. Thanks for the awesome job you guys are doing.

No problem. I appreciate the comments! I think you'd love these irons if you hit them, dmb.

I just wanted to note that you guys are doing a great job with these irons. I don't think it has been done, but can somebody get some contact close up videos with these irons? I think it would be pretty cool to see and hear that. Thanks for all the great work you guys are doing.

I have one I will post up shortly. I thought I had gotten it up yesterday from my range sessions but I guess it didnt make it, no idea what happened.

No problem. I appreciate the comments! I think you'd love these irons if you hit them, dmb.

Thanks man. I just tried to look for the video, but failed. I am not trying to be picky, but can you do one from the side view? Like with the camera facing you.

That is all I need, is another set of clubs to fall in love with. HAHA I can't wait to hit these clubs at the outing. I wonder if they are going to be available in any big box stores?

This is a close up shot with the 6 Iron.

Is this what you were looking for DMB?

Looks like w.e put up a real nice one!

THP definitely chose the right people for this. The clubs look amazing and the reviews are just as nice as the clubs. Great stuff guys keep it up!

Back