Help with putting alignment?

DrPatSr

Hope to break 80 in 13
Reaction score
I am getting worse and worse with my alignment while putting. Missed several short and important putts yesterday to mine and my partner's dismay. It's not a green reading thing, I don't think, because these can be 4-6 feet and straight and level.
I wonder if using monovision contact lenses, one for near(reading) and one for distance, could alter depth perception enough to affect alignment.
I even bought and worked with a center shafted putter, but that didn't help.
I looked for threads on putting alignment tips, but couldn't find one.
Anyone care to share alignment tips or advice?
Thanks, Pat

I started using the alignment line on the ball, and while a pain in the butt and taking longer it has improved my putting tremendously.

What kind of alignment methods are you using currently?

What have you tried in the past?

I know some people don't like it, but I use the tool that you snap on the ball and draw a line with. It has helped me greatly, and now I hate putting without it.

I know some people don't like it, but I use the tool that you snap on the ball and draw a line with. It has helped me greatly, and now I hate putting without it.

Well, the usual stand behind and determine the line action, square putter face head behind ball, then assume stance, 2 ball putter, added line to 2 ball putter(s), belly putter to help with consistent swing, etc. Have not tried the alignment mark on ball though..

I started using the alignment line on the ball, and while a pain in the butt and taking longer it has improved my putting tremendously.

The alignment line tool works wonders and it's very cheap. Not only doesn't it help you get your alingnment right but it can also lets you know if you're hitting the ball square or if you're putting some side spin on it. I would give it a try and see if it helps you as well as it's helped us.

Here is what I do:

Alignment line on ball
Alignment line on putter

Line up line on ball to the intended start path of the putt
Square up line on putter to line on ball making the face of the putter square to the intended start path of the putt
Only worry about lag/pace at this point. Worked wonders for me especially within 10 feet

Everyone's already mentioned the alignment on the ball, but do it in a crosshair setup. That way when you put it down, you'll have one for the intended line but then one also to see your putterhead is set up square to your line.

The second one is to put an old shaft or a driveway marker/stick in your belt loops when you practice. You might have your hips all out of whack, which could affect your shoulders as well if they're not set up square either. You'll be making compensations to hit it square to your line without even knowing it.

I'm with those above; use the alignment aid on the ball (or draw one). Then get your putter head as close as possible to the ball and line up your ball with the line on your putter. My biggest problem is that I line the ball up from behind, take a step back and make sure it's right, but then when I stand over the ball I try to make slight corrections because I feel/see a different break from above. I just can't trust myself.

My only other advice is that if you consistently miss on one side of the hole, it's more likely to be a setup issue than a biological one, so get a lesson. Which of course is good advice anyway.

I always use the alignment line on the ball. I make sure I put my eyeys over the ball. I also swear by the RST on my SeeMore. Swear by it.

I am getting worse and worse with my alignment while putting. Missed several short and important putts yesterday to mine and my partner's dismay. It's not a green reading thing, I don't think, because these can be 4-6 feet and straight and level.
I wonder if using monovision contact lenses, one for near(reading) and one for distance, could alter depth perception enough to affect alignment.
I even bought and worked with a center shafted putter, but that didn't help.
I looked for threads on putting alignment tips, but couldn't find one.
Anyone care to share alignment tips or advice?
Thanks, Pat

My contacts are the exact same here. I struggled with putting when I got back to golfing. Now its one of the strongest part of my game. I do not mark my ball with an alignment line but I will line my ball up by the logo. You might try a blade putter. Ive had way more success with one.

Based on the way you described this, you were better and are getting worse. Has it been since you got the monovision contacts? If so that might be a culprit.

If you are going to try using a line on the ball, trust the way you have it pointed when you get over the ball. Since you lined it up from behind it is correct, moving to the side may give some distortion and make it appear to be pointing left or right.

Have you changed anything else? Are your misses consistent (mostly left or mostly right)? Try setting up to the ball, close your eyes, and make a stroke. Don't worry about where it goes, just see what happens. Problems really start to arise when you start trying to change/adjust for a previous miss.

This. I even stopped used the ones the manufacturer puts on the ball and started drawing my own long red lines. It's helped a lot to slow me down and take my time, while improving aiming accuracy.

I do this too. It seems to have helped. My 2 ball putter is what helps me the most though. The contacts could be an issue. I'm not sure though.

Lots of good advice, suggestions, experience. I really appreciate it, Guys. Thanks very much.
Pat

Eyes have to be over the ball and in line with the target line. Most people will pull the ball left of the hole if their head is behind the ball it must be directly over the ball. Don't overlook getting an eye exam if you haven't had one in a while, it is possible with astigmatism or other problem that what seems lined up straight to you is not.

You may have it lined up correctly but, your pulling or cutting across the ball. Have someone look at your stroke on at 3 foot flat putt aimed dead center hole.

Along with aligning your clubface and ball, make sure your forearms and shoulders are also aligned.

I pick a spot 1' to 2' in front of my ball and aligned with my intended target, then I trace that line back to about 2" in front of my ball and I fixate on that spot. I don't watch the ball or my putterhead during the stroke instead I concentrate on the spot 2" in front of the ball, trying to putt through that spot.

It not only helps with my alignment but it also takes the "hit" out of my stroke encouraging a more natural pass through the ball.

That's what I do. They make little tools that let you draw a straight line around about 1/2 of your ball, and I use it all the time. It's very helpful.

Lots of good stuff! Thanks to all. Already had some improvement.

Lots of good stuff! Thanks to all. Already had some improvement.

Awesome! What specifically has been helping you see improvement if you don't mind me asking?

Tappin' from my iPad!

Drpat- gotta share funny story about alignment. Yesterday in scramble partner hit it right over flag to about 8-10 feet. Close to dusk so shadow literally created putting line for us from ball to hole. Tended the flag and putted along shadow line for birdie !! Don't know if that's legal but it was the ultimate alignment aid for 1 hole anyway!

the funny thing is i find the problem for alot of golfers who play there problem is yes alignment , but the reason for push and pulls in puts is people stand and keep the head above the ball but you need to make sure your hands are just in front of the ball ,like the way when you are holding the irons,push hand little forward and this keeps you to follow through and not be pulling up out of the putts and this reduces the misses from short distance, i will first look at my line from behind, once i pick my line i line the line on the ball with were i want to hit it on the line of the hole i go back and check again with my eyes at the line on the ball and the line of the hole, once im happy practice from behind of side personal choice then stand over the ball be confident and put hands a little forward towards hole and just make the swing ,do not look at the hole at all, i only look at the ball once ive made my mind up and this will keep your head down. if you have the right line it will go in . dont be to quick to look at your putt as the quicker you look the more likely you will push or pull the putt ...

Back