Are you an Angry Golfer?

Used to be a major jerk when I shot scratch. Now don't care. I have moments when I feel all those expectations go unrealized, but I almost always recover in an instant.

Once that impact is made time to move on. Good or bad there's always the next shot.

I get all kinds of fired up when things happen that I can't really do anything about (noises in my backswing - ball sitting in FOOTPRINT in the trap - ball in divot in the fairway - etc - etc) and then sometimes when I really make a silly mistake when I am having a great round.

With that said, I've worked REALLY hard on limiting it to a quick burst of frustrating followed by laughter and patience. I've learned that keeping it in is about as brutal as letting it drag out for more than a couple minutes. Gotta quick flip and move on.

I have had moments of frustration over the many years I've been dabbling with this game. I've planted a few club heads into the turf on the fairway, and sadly, a few putter heads into various greens. I still feel a bit ashamed about these transgressions, decades after they occurred.

There seems to be a fairly common theme in this thread: "I was an angry idiot when I was younger...now I just don't care anymore...". So I guess it's true that with age, one gains perspective and learns to fret over what is really important (i.e. not golf). And yet, I cannot forget my behavior from my late teens/ early twenties. How do you put that behind you? At what age do you stop feeling embarrassed by stuff you did when you were 20? My worst moment on a golf course occurred about 23 years ago - I actually attempted to throw my golf bag, clubs and all, into a pond...and came up about 3 feet short. I still cringe when I think about it. 23 years later.

Anyway, these days I take bad shots in stride. I now realize that developing a solid grasp of just the most basic aspects of swinging the club takes dozens of hours of practice. I didn't realize that in the past. I honestly expected that I could make major improvements to my game over the course of a single round of golf. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated by the outcome. So now, if any beginner asks me for advice about golf, my response will be "manage your expectations, dude".

I have a temper..plain and simple...But it is always directed inwards.. Toss a club??? sure...every now and then...Only broke one (driver) and learned my $75 lesson on graphite shafts and a temper... I try not to bottle up my temper as I tried that once and played worse the rest of the round. I know that some people say that you have to control your emotions on the golf course...and most professionals do.... But I am not a professional...and I find if I get it out of my system quick, I can get on with my game.... Nice topic BTW.... Bama

I swear a bit, and smack myself on the head when I lift it, but other than that, Im all jokes and calmness. I always try to cheer up the people in my fourball when I see one of them starting to boil. It spoils the mood if someone gets overly serious. Well, it spoils my mood anyways.

I did once get angry when the fourball behind us hit my brother square in the chest when they were going for the green and we were on the next tee. They didnt shout any type of warning and then had the audacity to moan when my brother was upset about this. Nearly ended badly, but they kind of figured it was time to keep quiet and back away slowly.

The only time I've only really got angry on a course is when I got hit by a ball standing on the green of a par 3 and the people behind us decided they could go ahead and tee off, not a single word of warning was given. It was the second hole on the course so I'm pretty sure it wasn't slow play related. I was playing with my dad and it's the only time I've really seen him go off on someone. We wound up leaving and never went back to that course. Guy asked for his ball back and my dad told him...well I really shouldn't say.

Not too much phases me while I'm on the course when it comes to other folks and what they do. Unfortunately slow play is almost the "norm" it seems. Do I like it? No... who truly does though? Sure I might get upset at myself if I don't pull a shot off the way I was supposed to. When I hit a real "humdinger" I have the tendency of scratching my chin and laugh it off.

I play golf at a competetive level and here's my overall take. You never know a round may be your last (been there...done that) and I feel that there are a helluva lot more things to get mad at in life than golf. Am I an "angry golfer"? No.

Alex

I seldom get too excited over a shot, or even on the course, but you can occasionally hear me berating myself under my breath, lol.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I seldom get too excited over a shot, or even on the course, but you can occasionally hear me berating myself under my breath, lol.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I get excited for short birdie putts, and angry when I miss them.

No I'm not. I've gotten pretty mad if things go real bad, but I try hard to laugh off bad shots. I hit enough of them that it's not worth getting too angry. I do get mad easier at bad short game shots as I feel they are my strength.

I can be sometimes. I dont know why. Its not like I get paid to do it

I used to be a very angry golfer. I would whip clubs all over, cuss and swear out loud, and I've even broken a few clubs in the past.
I've matured since then and my clubs are a lot more precious, so I take much better care of them.
I still get upset, but only with myself...quietly.
I've only gotten really mad lately when I have a really good round going and I throw it down the toilet with a stupid double bogey or something outta nowhere.

My temper is no worse than Tiger Woods so I think I'm good. :)

I actually don't get mad really. Since I joined THP something clicked with how I enjoy golf. Sure it bums me out a little when people get upset and I get bummed out a little when I play bad but I just need a minute or two. A few weeks ago I got upset but it had nothing to even do with golf.

I like to have fun, make jokes and laugh.

When I started playing I'd get frustrated at bad shots and a bad day. These days I just don't care if I'm having a bad day, I just enjoy the weather and being out on the course. I find the less I think on the course the better I play.

I only get mad when me tee shots from the fairway go into the water. That INFURIATES me.

My temper is no worse than Tiger Woods so I think I'm good. :)

I actually don't get mad really. Since I joined THP something clicked with how I enjoy golf. Sure it bums me out a little when people get upset and I get bummed out a little when I play bad but I just need a minute or two. A few weeks ago I got upset but it had nothing to even do with golf.

I like to have fun, make jokes and laugh.

I'm mostly angry in all other aspects of life, not on the golf course.

I'm mostly angry in all other aspects of life, not on the golf course.

You're quite soothing on the golf course dude. No joke, you're just level headed. I remember our first round together at the Palmer and I remember you slicing one K15 driver off the planet, you turned and smiled. You really played well and the few bad shots you had, didnt faze you.

I only get mad when me tee shots from the fairway go into the water. That INFURIATES me.

I had to cut that out of our videos. hahaha.

I dont consider getting upset at a bad shot being angry. I think being angry is a constant. OEM and I had plenty to be angry aboot in our singles match but neither of us did. We got upset at times but styaed real calm.

Jack and Clark tested JB and myself, yet we came through. Being angry to me would be a constant state of anger.

Don't really get angry anymore cause that tends to ruin the rest of the game. and lets be honest, it's golf, supposed to be fun so getting angry doesn't fit into my rounds.

Is there any other kind? :)

Seriously though, if this game doesn't make your seriously consider chucking your bag in the pond from time to time, you don't have a pulse. But it also makes the great shots feel all that much better.

I do get angry when I do something stupid I try to respect others by not yelling and throwing clubs but I do spout off obscenities telling my self how dumb that was...:banghead:

Today I was an angry golfer.. Not because of bad golf, but because 4 golfers behind me decided to hit 4 balls onto the green my group was still on. This was an uphill par 4 that was about 260ish on a standard day.

Consecutive weeks with idiots shooting up or being completely reckless behind me. Is it just a product of Southern CA golf where anyone with a club and 12 bucks can go to the local 9-hole course and have their own version of target practice?

:angry:AHhhhhhh!

On the bright side, I did have some nice shots.

I'm not, but my dad is and once he gets angry I got the game won...

I was an angry golfer in my younger days but since then Ive grown up and realized that a bad shot or even a bad round isnt the end of the world and is nothing that I should let ruin my day.

Yes, but working on it

Yes, but working on it

I still get furious but it's getting better slowly. A lot of time and money goes into this game and shanking a green side chip after an awesome drive blows my top. Lately the tee box hooks have been ruining my mood but I think I've got it figured out. I usually just cuss at myself and let it out but it can linger for a few minutes. It doesn't always affect the outcome of the next shot but I'm sure it doesn't help.

I should make myself do one push-up or something instead of getting mad, maybe that way I'll let it go since my arms will be tired.

Managing expectations sounds like good advice.

Back