TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

DD, I saw that you said that you are getting high ball fight... Have you tried these irons with other balls or only the Penta?

Thanks

Quick update, the irons are reallys tarting to click for me. I am striking the ball much better and seeing great results. I am playing again tomorrow, I will provide a full update after that.

Glad to hear that these are starting to work out! I hope everything goes well tomorrow!

Wake- what kind of shafts do you have in the irons?

Dynamic Gold XP S300's. I know many don't care for these shafts, but it was the top choice by the shaft optimizer, it came down to it and the PX 6.0, I liked the 6.0 but my dispersion was better with the DGXP's.

What's changed for you? Just getting comfortable with the club?

I had developed a couple swing flaws while working on my driver. My swing still isn't back to where it was a month ago, but its certainly heading in the right direction. I don't think any of my early struggles had anything to do with the irons, I had developed an outside in swing path and was striking balls on the toe. It was ugly. When I was fitted for the irons I was striking the ball awesome. I'm still working on my swing, which leads to taking my eye off the ball and mishits. But I am hitting some awesome shots with these clubs at this point, and its only getting better.

I'm about to head to the mall (getting drug there by my GF, good news is there is a Dick's), I will put up a write up tonight.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the detailed update, DD. If you had a choice, would you like to see the ball flight go down a bit?

Thanks Hawk. I wouldn't mind a lower ball flight. I am waiting for TM to sell loose R11 irons like they are doing with the TP series so I can slap a c-taper in there and compare.

DD, I saw that you said that you are getting high ball fight... Have you tried these irons with other balls or only the Penta?

Thanks

Penta's, ProV1x, and various range balls. Ball flight seemed fairly consistent.

Hi CB, I called Taylormade directly today and told them about my loss of distance of 1 club compared to the Burner 2.0's that I was using. They said that they were not surprised by this. They told me that If I gad gone from the R9 to the R11, I would not lose a full club. They said going from the 2.0 technology to the R11 irons it is possible the the distance loss could happen.

Did they say what the differance in technology was and why it would affect the distance like that?

I will update this thread in a while after dinner and thinking about my range session. I did not have a good swing today, and I need to think about the irons for a while before I post about them. Still love them though.

Wow just caught up on this thread. I want to go to gg and hit the r11 again. I'll take my mizzy 6 iron to compare. Hopefully thur ill make it. Stupid cold has me locked down. Dd your reviews are great

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Wow just caught up on this thread. I want to go to gg and hit the r11 again. I'll take my mizzy 6 iron to compare. Hopefully thur ill make it. Stupid cold has me locked down. Dd your reviews are great

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

They have a deal going on at GG right now for the R11 irons. Something like getting an extra $150 towards trade in when yo buy the R11's. I might just have to jump on this deal this weekend since the weather looks bad.

They have a deal going on at GG right now for the R11 irons. Something like getting an extra $150 towards trade in when yo buy the R11's. I might just have to jump on this deal this weekend since the weather looks bad.

Really. I might see how much I can get for my old R9s plus the $150. That might work out for me.

I thought it was 150 towards any irons BUT the R11's, which one of us misread it?

I just don't want to see someone get all excited and head to GG to buy them, and it not work out.

I thought it was 150 towards any irons BUT the R11's, which one of us misread it?

I just don't want to see someone get all excited and head to GG to buy them, and it not work out.

Well, I actually didnt read it the sales guys were pointing it out to me and I was only half listening. Maybe someone can confirm in the next couple days. But I was hitting the R11 6 iron at the time and they were trying to get me to buy with this deal. I could be wrong though.

You've got to do it! I mean you are OEM, these irons are your destiny!

Well, I actually didnt read it the sales guys were pointing it out to me and I was only half listening. Maybe someone can confirm in the next couple days. But I was hitting the R11 6 iron at the time and they were trying to get me to buy with this deal. I could be wrong though.

I got an email from them with the extra $150 deal and it does say in the fine print that the R11's are excluded from this offer.

You've got to do it! I mean you are OEM, these irons are your destiny!

Edit:'the dreaded double post!

I got an email from them with the extra $150 deal and it does say in the fine print that the R11's are excluded from this offer.

Figures. Why would they want to discount you on their newest product? Tons of people will buy them anyways without the discount.

Figures. Why would they want to discount you on their newest product? Tons of people will buy them anyways without the discount.

Unfortunately this is true.. But I thought others mentioned the R11 irons weren't selling that great, but I could be wrong

Update from my round today. The course was a shorter course (6100 yards), so even from the tips there were alot of driver wedge type holes. There were some holes I hit 4 iron from the tee. 3/4 par 3's were PW distance. As a result of this, I really only got to test out the long irons on the short 4's and the 5's, and the wedges. I think I hit my 6 twice and my 8 twice, that was it. As I said in my earlier posts, I struggled greatly with my swing for the past few weeks. It has reallys tarted to come back around. Since I haven't gotten it grooved back, I am still mishitting a few more balls than I like, but I am hitting more good shots than bad at this point.

My short irons have been really good. At range 7 iron and up has been almost automatic, like I said I only hit the wedges today, but I hit good shots with both. I am not getting the distance I was seeing earlier out of the PW. It seemed like it was going to be my 135-140 club, looks like its more the 130 range. Like I said I didn't hit the 9 at all to see if it is still the distance I am thinking, which is around 150, or if it has come around also. My 8i is still right where I thought, so I'm not really sure if my 9 will drop down a little bit to even out the gaps, or if I will play a big gap between the 9 and PW. Or maybe it was just an off day with the PW, who knows, it will be interesting to watch from here.

I hit the 6 iron pretty well, not great. I'm getting a little fade in it, nothing terrible but I would like to get it back straight. I know some like to play a fade on the short irons, but for me, straight as an arrow is always my preferred flight. Distance wise its still around 160. I'm striking it well, but I am thinking I can get the fade taken back out of it by the end of the week (I plan on playing every day thursday/Sunday).

The long irons were a bit of a struggle. I am playing a pretty big slice in the 4, and not striking it particularly well. I have hit my long irons pretty well in the past, and I am still struggling with getting my swing path back straightened out. The 5 irons was hit and miss. I hit some nice shots with it, but I was unable to do it consistently.

Just out of curiousity (and to make sure my struggles were not at all club related). That little experiment didn't last long. I am in love with these clubs. Every time I strike one well, its absolutely addicting. They just feel so great. I am not struggling with hitting them on the toe the way I was, but the few toe shots I'm getting are really getting out there. I am losing less than a club on shots on the toe. Thin shots are still getting up in the air, but the distance is unpredictable, some are longer, some are shorter, some are just right. I guess thats why we avoid hitting them thin. I'm seeing a very consistent divot with these, not real deep. I am use to a toe heavy divot from my old clubs. The divot looks great with these in comparison. My 7-9 is my bread and butter, I just love hitting them. If I am standing 150-175 out, I just know I'm going to end up on the green. I don't know why I hit them better than I do my PW/AW, but I just aim to the center and usually stick it pretty close. I hated that I didn't get to hit them more today.

If you're pondering, stop it, go get these stix, you won't regret it.

I was fortunate to win the R11 irons on THP's PGA Championship contest. Thank you THP and Taylormade. It's been a bit of a wait due to the Sept 1 release date, but the irons arrived today! I'm so excited. I'll do some photos or videos in the next week. I'm traveling out of town for my Son's wedding on Thursday and will be gone through the weekend, so may not get a chance to hit them for reals until next week.

The irons are fantastic looking, and the balance is terrific. I'm envisioning long and penetrating ball flight with a slight draw. I'll let you know how my actual swing works out with the visualization. I chose the stock steel shafts in regular flex. Red Golf Pride VDR grips that I thought would look nice with the red accents on the clubs - and I was right! These are absolutely works of art. I've been gaming the CBs for five months, and and hitting those pretty well right now. I'm anxious to see the similarties and differences.

I think Taylormade has done a superb job in disguising the GI attributes of the R11 irons. The cavity looks a bit bigger than the cavities on the CBs, but just a smidge. I think the topline on the R11 is actually a bit wider than on the CBs, but what you see at address is the satin portion of the topline, which is smaller than on the CBs, so the R11 has the illusion of a smaller topline. At least that's my opinion after eyeballing them. From the info on the Taylormade website, the R11 offset is slightly bigger on the longer irons, and less on the PW and AW than the CBs. I don't really like a large offset, and the R11 offset doesn't bother me at all. The clubs just scream "hit me". the design just seems superb.

So those are my impressions from taking a few practice swings out in the yard. Will get them behind a golf ball the first chance I get.

I was fortunate to win the R11 irons on THP's PGA Championship contest. Thank you THP and Taylormade. It's been a bit of a wait due to the Sept 1 release date, but the irons arrived today! I'm so excited. I'll do some photos or videos in the next week. I'm traveling out of town for my Son's wedding on Thursday and will be gone through the weekend, so may not get a chance to hit them for reals until next week.

The irons are fantastic looking, and the balance is terrific. I'm envisioning long and penetrating ball flight with a slight draw. I'll let you know how my actual swing works out with the visualization. I chose the stock steel shafts in regular flex. Red Golf Pride VDR grips that I thought would look nice with the red accents on the clubs - and I was right! These are absolutely works of art. I've been gaming the CBs for five months, and and hitting those pretty well right now. I'm anxious to see the similarties and differences.

I think Taylormade has done a superb job in disguising the GI attributes of the R11 irons. The cavity looks a bit bigger than the cavities on the CBs, but just a smidge. I think the topline on the R11 is actually a bit wider than on the CBs, but what you see at address is the satin portion of the topline, which is smaller than on the CBs, so the R11 has the illusion of a smaller topline. At least that's my opinion after eyeballing them. From the info on the Taylormade website, the R11 offset is slightly bigger on the longer irons, and less on the PW and AW than the CBs. I don't really like a large offset, and the R11 offset doesn't bother me at all. The clubs just scream "hit me". the design just seems superb.

So those are my impressions from taking a few practice swings out in the yard. Will get them behind a golf ball the first chance I get.

Congrats on the new clubs and congrats for your sons wedding. Normally you wouldn't want to leave when you just got a new set of irons, but that seems like a pretty dang good reason. Have a great weekend.

Awesome Rob! Looking forward to your thoughts on these irons! They are beautiful for sure.

Congrats Rob! Hope to see those new sticks out on the course in the future.

I finally got a chance to check out the clubs the other day, sure are pretty in person! Certainly different from my 2.0s when looking down at the top line. Definitely would be curious to give em a swing.

Congrats Rob! Hope to see those new sticks out on the course in the future.

I finally got a chance to check out the clubs the other day, sure are pretty in person! Certainly different from my 2.0s when looking down at the top line. Definitely would be curious to give em a swing.

Yes, we need to do a round together again. The first one was a blast. I'm looking forward to the time out on the course when both my chipping AND my long iron play are working well at the same time. Right now, I'm alternating between the two. :banghead:

Penta's, ProV1x, and various range balls. Ball flight seemed fairly consistent.

Thanks. I was thinking maybe the balls had something to do. Do you feel like you are losing too much distance because of this? Are your shafts working well for you?

Back