Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 37 27.4%

Votes: 90 66.7%

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

JF

Reaction score
As many of you know, my dad and I are polar opposites when it comes to our views on equipment and golf in general. I was having a civil conversation with my mom about the wedges I hope to purchase when they become available from Blind9. My dad went nuts when he heard I ultimately wanted 4 wedges. So, here's his rant and my unspoken response. THP, who wins and how do you feel about it?

Dad: Four wedges? You're insane. You need a pitching wedge and a sand wedge. The pros carry 4 wedges because they are being payed for it. It's a waste of space and you couldn't possibly use them. Your grandpa would be disgusted. He'd kick your butt with two wedges. Your uncle (4 hc) would kick your butt and I bet he doesn't have four wedges. Those guys on the internet have jobs and they can afford to buy four wedges if they want to. You get sucked into all this media nonsense and people trying to get you to buy stuff. You play golf for fun you'll never get paid for it and you're not good enough for four wedges. And the wedges you have are fine.

I didn't even respond to him, but here's my argument: So I shouldn't utilize two empty slots in my scoring clubs, so I'm gonna go buy another 7 iron and maybe another putter for looks. That'll help my game so much. PW and SW doesn't meet the need of a player like me who uses wedges a lot and in many different ways. I don't hit many greens so I need options. Pros aren't exactly getting paid to use wedges. They could play 14 drivers if they wanted. It's their bag. I'd use a 50 for mostly full swings and some longer chips. 54 for sand and tight lies. 58 for my beloved flops and shorter chips. I'd use each of them multiple times per round.
Grandpa chipped exclusively with an 8 iron so all he needed the SW for was sand. And he always had the best clubs available at the time until he passed in 2004. Uncle has Burner PW and AW and CG15 SW and LW. THPers are the most educated golfers I can think of besides pros and are fully within the grasp of the game of modern golf. They're all regular golfers too like me and some don't hit many greens so they need the options. I just got a job. Good one too. But that's irrelevant because I don't use job money for golf equipment. I make that money myself through selling used balls and other odd jobs.
Media is completely irrelevant. I'm not going to go buy a new club because TV says it's longer or has a better feel. I base my decisions of facts and real reviews from THPers and by trying the club myself. Of course I golf for fun. Golf is funner with lower scores and being able to pull of more shots with more options. These wedges are more technologically advanced. The sole allows for better turf interaction and the shaft helps put more spin on the ball which will only help my chipping game.
The PW I have is solely for full swings because I am not comfortable at all with it on less than full swings. But since dad thinks I don't need a gap wedge I should just raise my scores by shanking a bunch of half PW shots because I don't have a GW. My SW has a worn down face and non-conforming grooves which I'd like to not have. The wedge doesn't spin, but dad doesn't understand spin so he doesn't know that.

Parents know best in most cases. I respect my parents and I take their advice seriously, but I don't understand how someone who plays golf a few times a month and knows nothing about equipment and little about modern golf can try and tell a serious golfer who is completely up to date on all things golf what is best for his game. Heck, dad thought I was crazy when I regripped a club I could barely hold with a glove any more. That tells you something.

Didnt I read one of your posts saying you were working at a course and giving lessons to young children? If that's the case why not buy 2 wedges yourself? If they are shelling or the dough and don't think you need four, there is nothing you can do a out that one. Tough to say but, hey they are buying. If your bringing in some of your own money must wait and save for the other two you want.

One small question: what do you use your job money for? There's no reason you can't take a little bit of money from there every week and set it aside for golf purchases.

If you can't get more wedges right now, go to your local course with a few balls and wear out the practice green. Opening and closing the face, along with changing your ball position, lets you learn what the ball is going to do from different situations. Once you know that, the game becomes easier when you get those additional wedges. You'd be surprised at how good you can become when you have to create shots with different clubs.

One small question: what do you use your job money for? There's no reason you can't take a little bit of money from there every week and set it aside for golf purchases.

If you can't get more wedges right now, go to your local course with a few balls and wear out the practice green. Opening and closing the face, along with changing your ball position, lets you learn what the ball is going to do from different situations. Once you know that, the game becomes easier when you get those additional wedges. You'd be surprised at how good you can become when you have to create shots with different clubs.

great post Ary... i couldn't agree more

Listen to Ary. He's right. Smart dude. He's a doctor.

Kevin

Gianna: Parents aren't buying them, I am. They're trying to tell me not to buy them. I have enough for two at the moment and when July rolls around and they are in stock I'll have enough for 4.

Ary: dad controls the paycheck. It's for social activities, gas money, and saving for spending money in college. Believe me, I'll be practicing plenty until July.

Gianna: Parents aren't buying them, I am. They're trying to tell me not to buy them. I have enough for two at the moment and when July rolls around and they are in stock I'll have enough for 4.

Ary: dad controls the paycheck. It's for social activities, gas money, and saving for spending money in college.

i think you missed the important part of Arys post.

I have R11's and have my AW, PW and then i use a 54 & 58. Thats all you really need, and it works out great for me.

Last edited:
Your dad sounds like he still lives pre WW 1. I wouldn't talk golf equipment with him. I would keep tabs on what I earn and when you have the money just tell him to order for you what you want. He can't argue with you at that point.

This is a debate that has no right or wrong answer. It really comes down to personal preference. Now if it comes down to equipment being past it best days and needing to be replaced, that is quite different, but when it comes to what to use around the green, from say 110 yards and in, that's all personal preference and neither you nor your father are incorrect.

Wedges are all technique for the most part, a different shaft or different groove will make very little difference if you're not properly making contact with the ball to generate spin. If you're relying on your equipment that much to generate spin, then I would suggest that person work on their technique.

My personal opinion is also that you should be able to hit 100%, 75%, and 50% shots with all your wedges, even 9 iron and in arguably. Though that is just my opinion. I think if you only hit a certain club 100%, then that takes away from the creative side of the game. That basically means that player is just going out there and hitting the ball, they're not hitting a "golf shot". Really good golfers should be creative and have multiple shots with one single club. Just as an example, I have a buddy who is going for his pro card this year and when he was at golf school, they made the students go out and play a complete round with just a driver, long iron, short iron and a putter. He said this really made a much better golfer. His creativity and eye for hitting golf shots get better.

Now, how many wedges you carry does come to personal preference in the end. It's about hitting what you are comfortable with, but at the same time in my opinion, I think you can almost hurt yourself by carrying too many, but that's just the way I play. If someone wants to carry 5 wedges, 6 wedges, whatever, then all the power to them if it makes them better.

So in the end, neither of you are wrong or right.

Ary: dad controls the paycheck. It's for social activities, gas money, and saving for spending money in college. Believe me, I'll be practicing plenty until July.

I can fully understand where your paycheck goes, I was just curious about it.

As someone that technically carries 4 wedges right now (PW from my iron set, then 50-54-58 in the Cleveland 588 wedges), I find that I basically only hit full shots with the PW, and basically all of my shots around the green are with the 50, 54, and 58. If you stuck with the PW from your set, then you could just get 3 new wedges. I know that you made another post about getting a 60 or 64. Unless you're playing on REALLY fast greens or courses with really deep rough, you'll be just fine with a 58 degree wedge.

Your dad sounds like he still lives pre WW 1. I wouldn't talk golf equipment with him. I would keep tabs on what I earn and when you have the money just tell him to order for you what you want. He can't argue with you at that point.

Pre WW1 sounds about right. I try to never talk equipment with him. It still happens. I was actually hoping he wouldn;t come in the room when I was talking with my mom about the wedges. And thankfully she orders me things and I pay her for them, not dad.

You work, and your dad controls your paycheck? That sucks hard, and isn't fair in the least.

Golf Ghost:With the PW it's simply that I don't like hitting short shots with that big cavity on it. I realize it's not ideal but as you said, personal preference.

Ary: PW would stay with my set for the time being unless I really want a blade one for more versatility, which I kinda do want... I'll be ok with the 58 and it's probably what I'm going to stay with. i'm just fascinated by really high flop shots and I love to pull them off. But I think shying away from it will ultimately help me because it's not a consistent enough shot to be able to reliably use multiple times per round.

Golf Ghost:With the PW it's simply that I don't like hitting short shots with that big cavity on it. I realize it's not ideal but as you said, personal preference.

Ary: PW would stay with my set for the time being unless I really want a blade one for more versatility, which I kinda do want... I'll be ok with the 58 and it's probably what I'm going to stay with. i'm just fascinated by really high flop shots and I love to pull them off. But I think shying away from it will ultimately help me because it's not a consistent enough shot to be able to reliably use multiple times per round.

God please tell me you took more out of my post than just hitting a PW 100%.

You could really make him mad and tell him that a PW is not really considered a wedge.

You work, and your dad controls your paycheck? That sucks hard, and isn't fair in the least.

His theory is that I'll get it and go spend every dime on golf clubs then not be able to go to work because I won't have gas money. That's simply not a true statement. I never intended on spending work money of clubs. it's not that he totally controls it, I get 50 a week for social stuff and 50 a week for gas and green fees (on top of my membership) for other courses. Then the other 220 goes to the bank. In the long run I agree with him. I wouldn't buy new clubs all the time but those new adidas shoes would look good in me, I want to go play golf there... how about invite my friend to the Tigers game... that would happen, so it's for my own good.

You can do everything with a PW, a 52 and a 58.

Kevin

Reactions: DB
God please tell me you took more out of my post than just hitting a PW 100%.

I took more out of your post. In fact I'm going to go play with the 4 clubs you mentioned and see how it helps me. The Pw is simply all I responded to.

I took more out of your post. In fact I'm going to go play with the 4 clubs you mentioned and see how it helps me. The Pw is simply all I responded to.

Alright, just making sure haha.

The last sentence of your post made a whole lot of sense. What also makes sense for you in terms of being able to hit lob shots is from this month's edition of Golf Digest, in an article by Butch Harmon talking about great things that pros do:

4. GREENSIDE
Tiger Woods: Learn to use the club
For 10 years I worked with Tiger, during eight of his major wins. When we started, his pitching and chipping lagged behind the rest of his game. He didn't have enough greenside shots. Tiger being Tiger, he studied the best players, took pieces from different guys and built an incredible short game.

Greenside shots are all about what the clubface and swing path are doing at impact to produce trajectory and spin. Is the heel leading the toe, or the toe leading the heel? Is the swing steep or shallow? To get average players to understand this, I give them a 7-iron and say, "Hit me a high, soft shot." They look at me like I'm crazy. I ask them what the club would have to do to produce that kind of shot, and they say, "Well, I guess the face would have to be open." Right. "Maybe the shaft shouldn't lean toward the target." Good. "The ball forward." Yep. What's the lesson? Experiment a little. Find out how holding the face open or turning it closed affects loft and spin. Find out what different swing paths do. You won't believe the shots you start hitting.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-inst...s-butch-harmon-on-great-players#ixzz1sdHpO2Wc

Kevin
Exactly my thoughts.

Ary summed it up quite well in his post at the beginning of this thread, as well.

Interesting that your Father thinks Pros carry 4 wedges, go check out the WITB threads on them, rarely will you see more than two.

I see where your Dad is coming from. I've been playing for about 20 years now, and back when I started nobody was using GW/AW or LW. Back then everyone used PW and SW and that was it. I was a lot better player back then too with just those wedges because I had the time to practice. You don't need 4 wedges. But they're nice if you can get them. There's really no right answer to this.

Kevin

I recall seeing this many times before. And once again, I agree.

I feel like until you can hit 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 shots with a pw and sw solid and consistently​, it's detrimental to your game to get more. You don't develop feel when you're just full swinging all your wedges.

Back