Monterey Bay Courses

RedlyneTheory

Erock Army
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX1.0003
Has anyone played any courses in the Monterey area, and what did you think? I am going to visit my brother on the 30th of September, and want to catch a round on October 3rd before catching my flight home. Unfortunately the Pebble Beach Resort courses are all out of my price range, but it looks like the area has a lot more to offer. I am looking at something that costs less than $150, and the Bayonet & Black Horse course looks most appealing to me right now but I have not done much searching yet.

Thanks for the heads up on Pacific Grove SV, I checked out the pictures on the website and you are 100% right about the back nine having some great views. That price is great too.

You should be able to find Poppy Hills for less than $150, and it's one of the courses on 17mile drive. And do play Black Horse or Bayonet. It's quite open but the greens are interesting and not as easy as it seems. If you have a chance to come up to San Jose, Cinnarbar Hills is a local favorite, too.

Use the THP Tee Times link at the top of this page on the right, you can get some pretty good last minute deals at Poppy Hills, Bayonet, and Black Horse.

You should be able to find Poppy Hills for less than $150, and it's one of the courses on 17mile drive. And do play Black Horse or Bayonet. It's quite open but the greens are interesting and not as easy as it seems. If you have a chance to come up to San Jose, Cinnarbar Hills is a local favorite, too.

I'd love to get in a round at Poppy Hills, golfnow is not showing rates yet on Oct 3rd yet though. I am having a really tough time deciding between Pacific Grove and Black Horse, because the back 9 at Pacific Grove looks ridiculously appealing. I will wait afew more days, and if a good deal on Poppy Hills pops up, I will jump on it. I just pushed my return flight ticket back afew hours so that I can catch a second round in the San Jose area before leaving, and Cinnabar is definitely my choice. It looks like a great track.

Use the THP Tee Times link at the top of this page on the right, you can get some pretty good last minute deals at Poppy Hills, Bayonet, and Black Horse.

Do you know when the rate for Oct 3 will pop up? I tried to check their website to see if they are closed for a tournament or maintenance, but didn't see anything.

Definitely another suggestion for Pacific Grove. It is a great course and super beautiful. Back nine wraps around a really gorgeous lighthouse and is right on the ocean. Pretty reasonable rates too.

Definitely another suggestion for Pacific Grove. It is a great course and super beautiful. Back nine wraps around a really gorgeous lighthouse and is right on the ocean. Pretty reasonable rates too.

Yeah the price is great. I wonder if they have a back 9 only rate.

Whichever course you play, bring a jacket.

It gets chilly.

I have a co-worker that just played Pacific Grove about a month ago, and raved about the back nine, and the price. Yeah, the front 9 is not anything to write home about, but the back 9 is really nice.

The clubs are packed, and I just booked my tee time. I decided on the Bayonet course in Monterey Bay. I will take lots of pics!

The clubs are packed, and I just booked my tee time. I decided on the Bayonet course in Monterey Bay. I will take lots of pics!

Have fun man! good luck on the course

Have a great time! If your ball ends up in the iceplant, take a drop!

Have a great time! If your ball ends up in the iceplant, take a drop!

Unless you got Clint Eastwood and a few others to make a human chain and keep you from falling off the cliff!

Unless you got Clint Eastwood and a few others to make a human chain and keep you from falling off the cliff!

Ice plant is a nasty plant that if you try to hit out of it you could end up messing something up. Seriously! I remember what you are talking about, but that's not this. This is iceplant, he will see it all over those courses:

DSC00898.JPG

Ice plant is a nasty plant that if you try to hit out of it you could end up messing something up. Seriously! I remember what you are talking about, but that's not this. This is iceplant, he will see it all over those courses:

DSC00898.JPG

Yes don't hit out of the ice plant, it will ruin your clothes. It stains bad!

Thanks for the advice Smalls and Dr Teeth. I have seen those plants before lining the coast while cruising up California 1 highway, but never knew the name. I will be sure not to hit out of them.

30% chance of rain on Monday. :banghead:

I think Pasatiempo is located between the Peninsula area and San Jose if you're still thinking of playing somewhere heading back that way.

I got to day trip through that area a couple years ago and it was just beautiful. I want to go back with my sticks very badly.

I think Pasatiempo is located between the Peninsula area and San Jose if you're still thinking of playing somewhere heading back that way.

I got to day trip through that area a couple years ago and it was just beautiful. I want to go back with my sticks very badly.

Yeah I considered that course, it looks really nice. The pictures on the internet of it were amazing, but the $200+ price was a little steep for me. I will hopefully play it sometime in the future though.

Back