Review of Southern Dunes Golf Club, Maricopa AZ

RedlyneTheory

Erock Army
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX1.0003
Today my buddy and I played a round at Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Arizona. The golf course is located about 30 miles south of Phoenix, but it is well worth the drive. I have heard from multiple people that this course is a must play, and boy were they right.

When we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly bag girl and she asked if she could take our bags and load them onto our cart for our round. I always hesitate when this question is asked after reading multiple horror stories on THP about people having their clubs stolen, but we let her take them. When going into the club house area, you walk thru an awesome open air dining area with a beautiful view of the practice putting green and mountains in the distance. Inside the golf shop, the staff was very welcoming and courteous. After paying for my tee time, I walked around the shop and checked out their gear. The shop was nicely decorated and was fully stocked with lots of clothes, balls, divot tools, clubs, hats, etc. I especially liked the collegiate gear table they had with one of the brand new matte black ASU football helmet to add to the décor.

After waking out of the golf shop, we were greeted again by the bag girl and directed to our cart. She told us that balls were out at the range and chipping green, and we were free to hit as many as we wanted. The practice area was impressive to me (I have not played too many courses as nice as this). They had large pyramids of balls at the hitting bays as well as a few small pyramids of balls surrounding the practice bunker and chipping green.

Cart:
1-1.jpg

Practice Bunker/Chipping Green:
2-1.jpg

Range Balls that are provided:
3-1.jpg

After hitting some balls, we hopped in the cart and headed to the starting area. We were greeted by the starter (yet another friendly staff member), and he went through a 3 minute description of the course, greens, yardages, and a rules for where the cart can go and not go. He explained how to read the yardage card that was provided along with our scorecard, and it is very impressive. We used the yardage card on every hole, and it was very helpful since it was the first time we played the course. After he was done, he directed us to the first tee box and we proceeded to tee off.

Score Card:
scorecard.jpg

Yardage Card:
4-1.jpg

Yardage Card Close-up:
5-1.jpg

Tee Marker:
7-1.jpg

First Tee:
6-1.jpg

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Hole Green:
8-1.jpg

The overall layout of the course was a blast to play. It has decent elevation changes, but nothing too crazy. There is some good terraforming, and there are ample bunkers around the greens and on the fairways that provide extra challenges. The greens are amazing, and really do roll true (I didn’t really know what that meant until playing here). The starter told us that they were a 12-12.5 on the stimpmeter, and they were definitely the fastest greens that I have ever played.

Bunker protecting the front of the green on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hole:
9.jpg

Par 3 4[SUP]th[/SUP] hole from the tee:
10.jpg

Par 4 9[SUP]th[/SUP] hole from the rough:
11.jpg

Par 3 11[SUP]th[/SUP] hole green (it had an insane roll off on the back):
12.jpg

My approach shot on the par 5 16[SUP]th[/SUP]:
13.jpg

I had a blast at the Southern Dunes Golf Club, and hope to go back very soon. It was well worth the $40 green fee.

Nice pic's, looks like a great course. Thanks for sharing.

Im going to have to make the trek down there soon. Everything I have ever heard about this course has been great. Glad you had fun (and 40$ is a steal for that course right now)

Wow that course is beautiful.. for $40 bucks thats an unbelievable deal. I may need to move to Zona

Nice course RLT. That place looks stunning, thanks for the pictures. It's a blast getting to play courses like that.

Great pics! Man those fairways look tight and the greens look fast. I wish I could move to the States and golf year round!

$40?!!? That's a steal Drew! I've heard great things out there, probably go play it when it cools down some. I'll pm ya after overseed and we'll head out if you're available then.

Nice review!

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

$40?!!? That's a steal Drew! I've heard great things out there, probably go play it when it cools down some. I'll pm ya after overseed and we'll head out if you're available then.

Nice review!

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Thanks Brian! Yeah $40 was unbeatable for that course. I look forward to playing it again! Heading down there after over seeding sounds great.

Great pics! Man those fairways look tight and the greens look fast. I wish I could move to the States and golf year round!

Yeah, I really am lucky to live in an area that enjoys year round golf. We have a lot of Canadian 'snow birds' that travel down here during the winter, and they are nice people. I played with a Canadian guy a month or so ago, he was down here scoping out a winter house for him and his wife. He whooped me with some rental clubs.

I think we might have to have another AZ THP get together here soon before the rates jump to 75$

I think we might have to have another AZ THP get together here soon before the rates jump to 75$

Count me in. It was a lot of fun playing with you, Brian, and Marc!

Back