Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ping i20 or Ping G20

Handicap
    Thanks

Ping i20 or Ping G20

Hello, I am a new golfer who is going to be taking this sport up in a big way. We are planning to play 5-6 times per week (Marana, AZ). I have taken lessons and am doing the driving range with much success. My pro suggests it is time to get some Irons. I have narrowed down my search to:

Ping i20 or Ping G20. (Was considering the TaylorMade RBZ and the RBZ MAX, but got better results with the Pings) I know these irons I will have to go into, however I do not want to buy something that I will have to change out in a year or 2. Thanks for your input. I am really enjoying this game and looking forward to a lot of learning, etc. (not to mention, having fun !!!)

Peter

Handicap
    Thanks
    If your new to golf, the G20 irons should be the route you go. No reason to make a hard game harder to play. This doesn't mean the i20 irons aren't as good as the G20 irons either... but you'd get more help out of the g20's for a few years.
    9.5* TP SLDR - Oban Kiyoshi White 65-04
    13.5* 913 F.d - Aldila Tour Green Stiff Flex
    17.5* TP SLDR - Fujikura 757 Stiff Flex
    3-PW S55 - DG S300 Blue Dot
    53.09M Vokey SM5 - DG S400 Raw Black
    60.04L Vokey SM5 - DG S400 Raw Black
    34" Heavy (20g) Scotty Cameron Monterey

Handicap
    History
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,461 Posts
    Of the two, G20s would be the way to go and you'll be able to game them for many years. From your post, I'm guessing you have tried some other irons on the range or indoors, but if you are able, it would be worth it to do a fitting where you can try a bunch of different irons and find out what is really best for you. Good luck.
    J40 430 8.5* 'ahina
    J40 3+ 'ahina
    XHot Pro 5w 'ahina
    DPC 3-6, CB 7-PW Tour Black Pearl
    Black Oxide J40 52, 58* Tour
    True Balance TD-03 putter
    Ball: Tour B330

Proudly Representing in the 2014 Morgan Cup

Back and Better than EVAR runpuddrun's Avatar
    Handicap
    GHIN 14.8
    Thanks
    Either one would be great options. You will not ever outgrow either the i or the g's Plenty of single cappers use the G20's and plenty of high cappers use the I20's. Find what you like the best, get fit for them and enjoy this great game that we all love!

919 THI 11* AXE 6+
    949MC 16.5* Talamonti
    Fybrid RS 19.5*
    775hs 24*
    870ti 5-GW
    55*, 60* Wishon PCF WS 55*
    mFGP
    Gamer V2

Another Day in Paradise

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,717 Times in 7,235 Posts
    Heckuva thread on the i20's right here:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...highlight=ping
    What's in my Ever Changing Bag:

- Vapor Pro 12.5 - Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60
    - JPX-850 15.0 - Fujikura Motore Tour-Spec 6.3
    - G30 5w 19.0 - PING TFC 419
    - Bio-Cell 22.5 - ​Matrix Red-Tie hQ3
    - Vapor Pro-Combo 5-AW - True Temper DG-Pro
    - MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 - True Temper DG
    - M1 Private Reserve - 36" - 335g/ - WHP #7 CS - ​360g
    - 2014 B330-RX - Hydrocore

Junior Golfer
    Handicap
    Thanks
    I say go with your gut. If it's in your wheelhouse, give em both a whirl in an on course demo. I know that will cost ya a rental, but it's worth the money just to see. I demoed the i20s and immediatly got fitted and am picking mine up end of season. I know my handicap is a little better, but trust me, if you can hit em, you will have these sticks forever. I play spoons right now myself, and yes they will help you, but at some point shotmaking is gonna become a nessecity, and while the g's are pretty spectacular clubs, they really only know straight, whereas the i's know straight, fade, draw, high, low, anything you can imagine. Jman isn't lying, that thred is rediculous and is chalk full of good info and feedback. Either way, you will keep either set, and ping resale is excellent down the road. Good luck, and GET FITTED.
    Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side

Banned
    Handicap
    Thanks
    I have them both so I can speak somewhat intelligently on this subject. To me, they are like night and day. The G20's are a little heavier due to the size. This made me shoot my shots with little effort. They just get up and most of the time go straight. I like my G20's and can tell my scores reflected that.

In my mind, since I was shooting the G20's well, I felt like the I20's would help me more. They are lighter, due to the size. This will take me a little time to get use to. I feel once I do, the I20's will feel more like a golf iron to me. Meaning, with the G20's, I feel more confident, cocky, and alot of times because of this, I relax more causing mishits. The I20's will make me work more at my golf game at first. But I can tell again, once I do my range time (homework), I will be a better golfer.

The lesson if there is a lesson here is no iron will make you instantly become better. The G20's will give you more confidence in your game because they are easier to hit. I am looking long term. I am wanting my game to be in the 70's and although I could get there with the G20's, I feel by that time, I should be able to play a draw, fade, or "Bubba's" type of shots. When I can do these type of shots, then I will consider myself a true golfer. Right now, I am a hacker.

With all this said, I average 85 on a somewhat difficult mountain course that has a lot of doglegs. If I was shooting in the 100's, I would still be with my G20's

Proud JakeNation Member Chunkylover77's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Get the more forgiving club. You will have more fun now and you can continue to play them well as you get better. No need to grow into a set of irons.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Morgan Cup Bag
    Driver: J40 445 10.5* UST ATTAS T2
    Irons: J40 DPC 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95R
    J40 Wedges: 52/58 with i95 Steelfiber
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 15

CAPTAIN TEAM HACKERS MORGAN CUP 2013

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkylover77 View Post
    Get the more forgiving club. You will have more fun now and you can continue to play them well as you get better. No need to grow into a set of irons.

got to agree with this,the i20s are a good iron but the g20s will help you enjoy the game aswell
    Driver: 913 D2 9.5*
    Fairway Wood:
    G25 16*
    Hybrids: Need
    G23*
    Irons:
    S55s 5/PW

Wedges
    George 52* and 58*
    Putter:
    Black series
    Balls:

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thank you all for responding to my question. It certainly helps to get more info and great from folks that have used the clubs. My pro that I am taking lessons with was a little concerned about the thickness of the bottom of the club, I think it is called the sole, she has not played with that type of Iron. But she was still comfortable with either, re: nice to go with a forgiving club but unsure about the thickness.

Can't wait to order something, ( I have been fitted, but still unsure about which one to order). Off to do some more swinging at VANS here in Tucson.

Handicap
    Thanks
    swing them both you might even like the i20s better,at the end of the day its what you like and about the soles a lot of people dont like the thickness of them me been one of them but go and try them first good
    Driver: 913 D2 9.5*
    Fairway Wood:
    G25 16*
    Hybrids: Need
    G23*
    Irons:
    S55s 5/PW

Wedges
    George 52* and 58*
    Putter:
    Black series
    Balls:

Handicap
    Thanks
    I recently purchased the G20's and was fitted. I also tried the I20's. I liked the I20's a lot but on the monitors (indoor fitting) confirmed I was more consistent with the G20's. Once out on a real range I realized I was hitting the G20's horrible and I mean worse than any range session I have ever had. Everything was fat. I will slice and pull left sometimes but I have never been someone to hit fat shots on a full iron swing. I couldn't figure it out and it had me really miserable.

I learned to play with macgregor muscle backs in high school and became a decent player (high 80s - low 90s). The way I learned to play was to drive the ball into the ground when swinging those blades. Later I played Titleist DCI cavity backs. The swing still worked for these irons.

In frustration I called my dad who also has G20s because I was convinced something must have gone wrong in the fitting because I always have payed standard (never fitted) and they moved me to 3* upright (white dots) and extra 1/2" length. My dad taught me to swing so I thought he could help. He told me to swing through the ball not drive it into the ground since the G20's have suck a fat sole. Made a world of difference. I started hitting the ball flush and then I got rained out, but I could tell I was striking the ball strongly again. I know this is a long post but thought it might help someone out When choosing the G20's. They are great clubs but they definitely required a swing adjustment from my old irons.

I will post back when I get a chance to hit some more and have my first round scheduled for Friday with my dad so I can try the black dots as well for comparison to see if it is the soles or the lie adjustment causing the issues if I don't have it all sorted out before then.

Handicap
    8.6 oob
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbr52 View Post
    Thank you all for responding to my question. It certainly helps to get more info and great from folks that have used the clubs. My pro that I am taking lessons with was a little concerned about the thickness of the bottom of the club, I think it is called the sole, she has not played with that type of Iron. But she was still comfortable with either, re: nice to go with a forgiving club but unsure about the thickness.

Can't wait to order something, ( I have been fitted, but still unsure about which one to order). Off to do some more swinging at VANS here in Tucson.
    A wide sole isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact for most weekend golfers it's probably a good thing.
    In my black Pioneer cart bag:

Driver: 919THI 11*w/ AXE Excalibur 6
    3W: 949MC 16.5*
    Hybrids: 3&4 775HS
    Irons: i20 5-PW R flex HStep, Blue dot
    Wedges: 50, 54, 58
    Putter: SB2C
    Ball: Hex Tour Black
    Rangefinder: Tour V2 (Non-slope)

Beginner
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Dear Peter,

Welcome to the community. Flat out, the g20 while being the greater game improvement club, by the time you outgrow them, they won't even exist?

But what is alarming is how many times a week you want to play. The best advice for becoming a good player is to practice three times for every time you play. Of course you don't have to practice for four hours, two will do. You just cannot get good enought, fast enough, if you depend upon playing to improve your game.

By the way, I really like your choice of Ping. These clubs are great for accuracy and trueness. The flip side is that they may not be the longest clubs in the world. But as you become a better player that becomes less relevant as it id your driver and your hybrids that will deliver the distance.

Good luck,

David

Handicap
    Thanks
    I think the G20 would definitely be the club to select. Having hit both I think a newer player, even though you're playing frequently, will benefit more from the forgiveness of the G20. The best thing you can do to improve your game is accuracy and consistency and this will come in spades with the G20. The I20 are a great set of clubs but for what you've described and viewing your current handicap the G20 will last you a long time into the future.
    In the Bag
    Driver: R1 Black
    Wood: RBZ Stage 2 3 Wood 15*
    Rescue: RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 Rescue
    Irons: Rocketbladez
    Wedge: 588 54* 8b and GC16 60* 12b
    Putter: Daddy Long Legs 38" CB
    Ball: Duo - White and Yellow Soft
    Bag: T3 Cart Bag
    Buggie: Smoothy Rovic
    Cart: EZGO 2001 36v Cart