Bit confused and a bit of a rant

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
So i had a lesson 2 weeks ago with the pro i first started having lessons off in 2010. The only reason i went with him again was because the guy i turned to middle of last year was on holiday and i was desperate. So anyway he looks at my swing and tells me its my hips that are my problem give me some drills and what not and leaves it at that.

Last weekend i went up the range and was in bits with what he was getting me to do and my head and swing was everywhere. After the range session i went into the shop and the guy who i turned to last year was back (thank god) so i spoke to him about what was happening and how i was feeling so i had a lesson with him today. He highlighted my fault straight away and filmed several swings showed me and we worked out away i could get the right feeling. So i said to him was it an obvious fault? (Robert in the golftec section spotted the same fault) His reply was yes any decent pro would of spotted it straight away with that i said why did i pay for a lesson to be told it was my hips???? His reply i dont know perhaps he wanted me to have more lessons than needed then said he would speak to him to find out why. Im more annoyed at the waste of 2 weeks working something i didnt need to and getting in a state over it to the point i nearly turned my back on the game. At least i learned a valuable lesson stick with the pro you know works ad you trust.
P.S i had a email from the pro when i got home of the swings from today and the way he wanted it to go.

Sorry to hear you went through all of that, but good to know this pro has things spotted and can take you on the right path from here. Good luck Boss, let us know how the swing goes from here.

I'm sorry you had a sour experience. I can honestly say, that the PGA Professional I work with is great. He truthfully goes above and beyond. Once you find a pro you trust, stay with him. It's amazing at the level of confidence and comfort that comes with it.

I'm sorry you had a sour experience. I can honestly say, that the PGA Professional I work with is great. He truthfully goes above and beyond. Once you find a pro you trust, stay with him. It's amazing at the level of confidence and comfort that comes with it.

Well said. I really need to find one for myself, its time I jumped down a level with my game.

You know, sometimes teachers see different things. Sometimes, they're trying to teach one particular swing and aren't the best at just taking your own swing and tuning it to get the best. Some teachers really are better than others. It's a shame that this guy pointed you in the wrong direction.

Sounds like you've found a teacher who knows what he's talking about though, and I'd definitely stick with him.

There is nothing worst than someone sending you in the wrong direction. I agree with what your pro said about the other guy wanting more money out of you. This guy is supposed to be there to help people not fleece them.

I'd stick with the original pro from now on. Anytime I work with my pro he tells me to go away and not come to him until things are really going wrong

I can understand your frustration, and have been there. I figure, like anything there are good and not as good teachers... you just need to find the right one for you. I think it's important to stick with one guy and come up with a plan to get where you want to be instead of just going to get a lesson to fix everything.

This is the first year I've done a series of lessons and wish I had done it much earlier. Good luck with this pro!

I'm very thankful to have found the guy I wok with for the very reasons you mentioned above. He is consistent, insightful and to the point.

I understand your frustration but my perspective is a bit different. Pro2 was way out of line suggesting the other guy was incompetent and trying to get more money out of you. People can be quick to say disparaging remarks behind someone's back that they wouldn't say to their face. When in doubt I think it is best to assume positive intent. Maybe your swing was different that day, maybe Pro1 saw the same thing but had an honest belief in a different plan for fixing it, maybe Pro1 was having a bad day or made an honest mistake. Also, sometimes we need to look in the mirror on these things. You left Pro1 for a reason then voluntarily went back to him in a pinch. No offense but maybe not the best decision...if you liked him enough to trust him with your swing you wouldn't have left him; if you disliked him enough to seek help elsewhere you probably shouldn't have gone back to him, especially for a 'one off' session in the middle of a lesson series with another guy. Again, no offense is intended here, just looking at it from a different point of view. I'm sorry for the frustation and I hope things get better soon.

Pro 2 never actually suggested or inclined that I did. And pro 2 is pro 1s boss and people make rash choices when they feel in a pickle as I did going back. But I understand your view.

Back