Under Armour Amour Bite REVIEW

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
The Under Armour Armour Bite mouth piece was mentioned on THP a few weeks ago. I had a ton of curiosity about this product going back a year or so when I first heard about it. After much deliberation (read I received some Dicks Sporting Goods gift cards for my birthday), I decided to purchase one and review it for THP. The interesting thing about the product is that it actually has quite a bit of scientific evidence to back it up, to my surprise. A summery of the finding that was published in the Journal of the American Dental Association can be found here http://www.bitetech.com/wp/?p=763. Originally, the Armour Bite was only available for retail purchase by a licensed practicing dentist. The fitting process was similar to that of the Invisalign process and was extremely expensive. Because of the prohibitive cost, very few were sold. This trial and error led Under Armour to release a much more consumer friendly version of the product that could be purchased at your local sporting goods store for a price of $29.99. There are three different sizes available, small, medium and large. Here is a quick video introduction.

(The product is called "Armour Bite" not "under bite" as I stated. Sorry.)

The process of fitting the Armour Bite to your teeth is exactly the same as how you would prepare a mouth guard. Place in boiling water for 1 min. Remove. Place in your mouth for 1 min. Then, finally, place in ice water for 15 minutes and you are good to go.

Initial thoughts. The Armour Bite fits just like a mouth guard and feels very similar. However, it is worn on the bottom teeth and doesn't inhibit speech or breathing. I played my first round wearing the Armour Bite and very much enjoyed its presence. I generally have an oral fixation and need to have something in my mouth, be it sunflower seeds, gum, mints or unfortunately chewing tobacco. This product may help me quit the latter once and for all. I did feel like it helped my concentration, focus and stress level standing over the ball. Now this may be because I played pretty well with it for the first time, but the confidence was there nonetheless. I actually made the longest putt of my life today that measured at around 60 feet (for birdie). So far so good. I plan on wearing this the rest of the golf season and will report back frequently.

Thanks for taking the plunge on this. I look forward to your thoughts as you test this device further.

The video is now working. Sorry for the delay.

Could you see yourself wearing it while sleeping to help with grinding your teeth?

Could you see yourself wearing it while sleeping to help with grinding your teeth?

You know I actually could. My girlfriend has this issue and she has a special fitted mouth guard ("night guard" I think is the name). It was very expensive and she had to go through her dentist. After wearing this, I would say it does nearly the exact same thing for alot less.

You know I actually could. My girlfriend has this issue and she has a special fitted mouth guard ("night guard" I think is the name). It was very expensive and she had to go through her dentist. After wearing this, I would say it does nearly the exact same thing for alot less.

My dentist keeps telling me I need one too. But for $600 I have yet to get it.

It has the same flat pad that her "night guard" has with alot of rubber placed over the back teeth. I'll see if I can find hers to show you the difference.

It has the same flat pad that her "night guard" has with alot of rubber placed over the back teeth. I'll see if I can find hers to show you the difference.

Cool thanks.

Man, Dr Teeth must really be trying to save for the outing.

100_0017.jpg

Cool thanks.

I'd actually say (obviously I'm not a dentist...), if you grind your back teeth this might work better and last longer than the night guard.

hahahhahahah. Gotta save up some how I'd assume.

Haha Just one would cover it at $600 too.

Thanks for the review, I'm very intrigued by this but just can't see myself using one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review, I'm very intrigued by this but just can't see myself using one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I can see it being for a specific type of person. If you feel like you need to chew on something or you are a person who needs a remedy for the oral fixation I highly recommend it. If you aren't one of those people, then I can't imagine someone purchasing one to try it out. I always need to chew on something. If I don't have gum, mints, seeds, chew or dip, I gnaw on tees throughout the round.

Thanks for the review Tim. You have my interest. I'll be curious to hear more. :)

Thanks for the review Tim. You have my interest. I'll be curious to hear more. :)

Thank you for reading! I gotta be honest. I was very surprised and very pleased myself.

Interested......keep us posted on rounds to come!

Thanks for the writeup. This has interested me from the beginning. I was never against wearing one, and I may want to try it now.

After reading the Bitetech article seems to make sense to wear especially if your walking. Relieving tension in the jaw would be beneficial through out the round, who needs more stress? Keep us posted, might have to trip on over to Dicks and check one out myself. Too bad it doesn't advertise that it will help with sleep apnea.

Cool little review. I've seen these advertised and have been intrigued. I may give this a try.

Back