U.S. Open yardages

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Read in the local paper today the Women's Open at Blackwolf Run here in Kohler will be played at a longer yardage than the Men's Open at The Olympic Club. That's pretty cool.

I suspect the rough will be a be a bit thicker and the fairways a bit narrower for the men, but in 1998, the last time the women played an Open at Blackwolf, it ripped them up pretty good. From less than 6,500 yards.

Kevin

Read in the local paper today the Women's Open at Blackwolf Run here in Kohler will be played at a longer yardage than the Men's Open at The Olympic Club. That's pretty cool.

I suspect the rough will be a be a bit thicker and the fairways a bit narrower for the men, but in 1998, the last time the women played an Open at Blackwolf, it ripped them up pretty good. From less than 6,500 yards.

Kevin

And they lengthened it? This could be one of those "Hold your breath on every shot" Open's.

Wait the women are playing BWR at over 7K?! Sheesh

Good reason to watch maybe?!?!

Interesting. I wonder what the winning scores at each will be.

I think it's a bad move. Not enough people watch the LPGA as it is. Why would they want to watch them all shoot over par and struggle. I hate it. I think the LPGA needs to set up courses so these girls can go lower. That's what brings in more interest, IMO. I'll always remember when Annika shot a 59. This may sound awful, but to me it was so impressive b/c she is a woman.

Is there a reason as to why the length is so long? Seems crazy to me

Id like to see the LPGA ladies play from 6000 rather than 7, then again its boring golf anyway so Im indifferent.

It's the U.S. Open. It's supposed to hard. Hell, if Damaikis can take his time and play from 6,800 to 7,000, the women can do it in the Open.

Kevin

Why the f? Keep it short, tight, and fast. Making it longer only benefits the women who can hit it long.

--
Tapatalk2

To me, the LPGA isnt in the position to make golf courses unbearably hard. They need birdie fests and good viewership, none of which the US Open will provide if set up by like/harder than a Men's open.

It's the U.S. Open. It's supposed to hard. Hell, if Damaikis can take his time and play from 6,800 to 7,000, the women can do it in the Open.

Kevin

I think it's a bad move. Not enough people watch the LPGA as it is. Why would they want to watch them all shoot over par and struggle. I hate it. I think the LPGA needs to set up courses so these girls can go lower. That's what brings in more interest, IMO. I'll always remember when Annika shot a 59. This may sound awful, but to me it was so impressive b/c she is a woman.

I agree on the course setup...I don't want to see +5 win the US Open with half the field double digits over par.

It just finally proves that women want length.

Kevin

LOL....while I agree it should be hard, it's a numbers game. And a bunch of chicka's over par and gonna bring numbers.

Why the f? Keep it short, tight, and fast. Making it longer only benefits the women who can hit it long.

--
Tapatalk2

I don't mind a lot of SP and Ryan O'Toole coverage myself.

To me, the LPGA isnt in the position to make golf courses unbearably hard. They need birdie fests and good viewership, none of which the US Open will provide if set up by like/harder than a Men's open.

That's what I was trying to say.

Black Wolf can get running very fast making the course shorter then the yardage listed. But this really puts a premium on shot making, not a lot of room for error

Thx for sharing Kevin

I don't mind a lot of SP and Ryan O'Toole coverage myself.

Hey sp is fun, but that otoole chick needs a beef injection stat.

--
Tapatalk2

Kevin

Hahaha yeah. They hit it WAYYYYY farther than I do. And I think they're a bit better. I hope this is a good Open. I know nothing about the course.

If you read the article that yardage will be a little misleading because the course will be firm and the fairways fairly wide. The recap of the 1998 Open in the article is good. It destroyed them at that time, but the girls hit it so much farther now.

Kevin

Of course they're gonna play longer. Everyone is playing as long as they can make their course. Expect the men to play over 8,000 yards for the 2017 Open at Erin Hills (if not before that).

Of course they're gonna play longer. Everyone is playing as long as they can make their course. Expect the men to play over 8,000 yards for the 2017 Open at Erin Hills (if not before that).

Not Olympic Club. Kevin said that it's going to be around 6,800 yards. I wonder how that will go for the guys.

Personally, I just like to watch good golf. If the USGA is obsessed with no one breaking par they should just make each hole a par 1 and get it over with. At the end of the day, the player with the fewest strokes wins...par is irrelavent. I don't particularly enjoy watching courses that are overly tricked up. In the US Open that Tom Kite won, Pebble was nearly unplayable by the leaders the final day. It might have been interesting to watch, but at some point it stopped being "golf". Just my 2 cents.

That is nuts. I agree with most everyone here. Good golf is better than +3 or +6

Back