Golfsmith Club Refinishing REVIEW

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
This summer I took a leap of faith and bought a new driver, a Titleist 910D3 9.5*. My previous driver was a Taylormade Supertri 10.5* and it launched too high and had way too much spin. The lower lofted, low-spin 910D3 was my remedy. Only a few weeks after getting it after hitting a drive I was walking off the tee box and stumbled and accidentally dropped my driver. At this course they use actual bricks as the tee markers and the crown of my driver landed on the edge of one of the bricks. The result was a horrible scrape on the top/back section of the crown. It was a very deep scratch that went through the clear coat and all layers of paint, revealing the bare metal of the driver head. I was crushed. My new "baby" was ruined. Although I knew it would probably not affect the performance I couldn't stand to look at it at address, I started searching for a solution.

If you do a Google search for "club refinishing" a few different companies come up that offer this service. After researching a few I decided to go through my local Golfsmith. Here is what they say about the refinishing service:

GSrefinishing-1.jpg

On August 30th I went to my local Golfsmith to turn in the head of my driver. I approached an employee behind the counter who I knew as the "manager" from my previous visits. When I told her that I wanted to have the head "refinished" she didn't know what I was talking about. I had to have her to go the GS website, bring up the page describing the service to show her that it is a service they offer. She said that she had worked there for several years and had never even heard of this. She called corporate to ask them how to proceed and they instructed her what to do. They say that the service takes 3-4 weeks. It ended up taking a little longer, (36 days), than that but here are the results:

Before:
2011-08-30095813.jpg

2011-08-30095913.jpg

After:
PICT0546.jpg

PICT0547.jpg

PICT0548.jpg

I was told beforehand that they can't match every OEM's paint exactly. In my case Titleist uses a "metal flake" type paint and they said that they might not be able to match this. They also said that they don't do anything to the face of the club. I was fine with all of this; I just wanted the horrible gouge to go away. I did not realize that not only was the paint scratched but there was also a tiny little dent under the scratch. The only thing that is noticeable after the refinishing is the tiny dent. To notice this you have to run your finger along the area, it's not really noticeable by sight. They also refinished the top line where the face meets the painted crown. I did expect them to refinish the sole also but this appears to be untouched.

Final Thoughts:
This is a great service if you have a sky mark, scratch, or other paint related injury to the crown of your club that you want fixed. I would recommend this to anyone needing this service as long as you understand that the paint may not match exactly and that they only treat the painted crown.

Thanks for the review! I always wondered how good of a job they did and I'm glad to see that it was a good job!

Glad to hear it worked out for you, the results look great! I too would have been crushed. Was it only $39.99 like the excerpt says? If so, that is a pretty good deal IMO. That's hilarious that she had no clue they even did that. Thanks for posting this.

Was it only $39.99 like the excerpt says? If so, that is a pretty good deal IMO....

Yes it was $39.99 total. It is a good deal especially considering it cost them $5+ to ship it back to corp, then $5+ to ship it back to the store. I know this because on the paperwork when I picked it up was the FedEx receipt/tracking # from when they shipped it and it showed the cost of $5.83.

Very interesting...I never knew they offered that service. Looks like they did a real nice job, and considering that two way shipping was included, not a bad price.

I have been waiting to see the results and dang they did a great job! Makes me want to have them take that dummy mark off my R11. Thanks for posting theism OG!

Do you think they stripped the entire original paint and started from bare metal?

Very cool, I have been wondering how their service was and it sounds like it's prtty good. Thanks for the post.

One thing I just noticed, (and am shocked by), is that they removed the alignment aid that Titleist has on the top of the crown. See before and after pics below. Someone who has a 910 please correct me if I';m wrong but I think this aid is actually a raised piece of metal on the top of the crown, not just a painted marking. I guess this means they had to grind it off then repaint? Why?

Just another thing to consider before sending your club away. I actually never liked that triangle thing before but Ilm kind of bummed that my driver is so different that original.

910-d3-driver-surefit-hosel-top.jpg

PICT0546.jpg

Hey I will try to remember to check the alignment aid on my D3 when I go to lunch. I am pretty sure it is just paint and not raised, but to tell you the truth I don't pay any attention to it so I'm really not sure.

The results look great though! I take it that the Golfsmith paint was indeed not metal flake?

... I take it that the Golfsmith paint was indeed not metal flake?

No it's not. It does look really good though, looks like OEM quality paint job, just not exactly matching the original.

wow, great results for sure

Nice review and thanks- I always wondered about this service and what it would look like after. Enjoy the newly beautified club!

Thanks for posting this. I have a feeling there will be some folks that find it very helpful. Great contribution!

All in all for $40 it looks like they did a heck of a job.

I can't stop thinking about the alignment aid and if it is painted on or was a raised piuece of metal off the top of the crown. Can someone with a 910D check it out and let me know? TIA

I have wondered if the same kind of work could be done at a quality body shop like for Mercedes or BMW? Just take it in when they are doing a car in the proper color?

Club looks great!

Yes a bodyshop can do it and could most likely match the color as well. I'm also wondering about the alignment aid, from the original pics you can't see it, so was it even there?

Yes a bodyshop can do it and could most likely match the color as well. I'm also wondering about the alignment aid, from the original pics you can't see it, so was it even there?

Yes it was there originally, my hand just covered it up in the pics.

Here another before pic. It shows the line where the face meets the crown. You can also see the alignment aid that used to be there.

2011-08-30095707.jpg

AFTER:

PICT0548.jpg

Thanks OG, I was just wondering. I like the job they did, it looks good.

Back