Swingweights when reshafting

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
I am considering reshafting my irons myself and I am wondering how much consideration I should spend on the swingweight after reshafting.
(FYI: going from Nippon 1050gh stiff (109gm) std length to KBS Tour stiff (120gm) +1/4")

-How do I know what swingweight is best for me?
-Should all the clubs in the set be the same swingweight? Will they all be the same assuming I use the same grip/tape on all clubs?
-Should I try to match the swingweight of the clubs before reshafting or just go with whatever the new swingweight is?

If I took them to a golf shop to have them reshafted I don't think any attention would be spent on swingweight, am I overthinking this?

I say do it. You'll learn a lot about club building (if you want to or are that type of person). I prefer to do things myself and/or learn about them and then do it myself.

-How do I know what swingweight is best for me?
The only way to know what SW is best for you is to build a test club, and go out and hit it. Take your time. You don't want to build a whole set of clubs and end up hating them because the weights are all over the place and or wrong for your swing. bring some lead tape with you and use some impact stickers or baby powder and keep track of where you are hitting it on the face. use the lead tape until you find a weight that feels perfect and has you flushing it pretty much every time. Take the club back and find out what SW it is and build the rest to that SW. OR.......

-Should all the clubs in the set be the same swingweight? Will they all be the same assuming I use the same grip/tape on all clubs?
Usually, modifications have to be made to make all clubs the same SW. Not all heads and shafts are perfect in regards to their stated specs. There are tolerances built into them. You can build all of them the same SW or you can build to a progressive SW, MOI, MBI. :) Take a look at this SS that I used to build to MOI just this week. Note the MOI and the SW of the 4-AW. I haven't decided if MOI or basic SW matching is better as I haven't even hit them yet (just finished them 4 hours ago)

MOI-870ti.png

-Should I try to match the swingweight of the clubs before reshafting or just go with whatever the new swingweight is?
See above

Either way, I say do it. It's a lot of fun, and addicting.

Thanks for such an indepth reply bumpandrun. I am really interested in learning all about club building. I wish there was somewhere local that offered the classes like Golfworks does. I may have to buy some component heads to put my old shafts into and learn more about this. Thanks again.

Back