How cold is too cold

As I mentioned above 45-50 for me but I also think you create bad habit when playing in the cold and once they are there, they are hard to get out.

#1. Limited shoulder turn due to coldness and to many clothes creating a armsy swing.

#2. Not hitting down thru the ball due to the harder turf. Using a scoopy swing due to it and the to many clothes.

Exercise is always good on the other hand, but playing in the 20-30's will probably make you work harder come April to find your game.

I played this weekend which started out in the mid 40's and not much high on Saturday due to the wind chill factor. Sunday was better with less wind and it got up to the upper 50's. I had my cart cover on both days which takes the chill out. I also have a propane heater which really helps with keeping the hands warm and the weather more bearable.

If it's in the 30s you can count me out. I've played a few times with it windy in the 40s and it was miserable. The whole time I was out there I was wishing I was somewhere warm. I just couldn't focus or get my game going. Just feel I can get more practice done in doors on the putting or chipping green or practicing my swing plane inside on those rare cold Florida days.

As long as its not windy, I'll play when it's in the 30's at worst. Otherwise it's in the 40's wind or not.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

fiddy no wind here

sixty with wind

I've played in the 20's before but mostly for bragging rights. In a snow-less December a few years ago we were walking across frozen ponds on the course. It was weird bouncing balls across water hazzards and not being able to get a tee in the frozen ground but somehting to do.

I've probably played in 30 degrees and I've played when its snowing a little, but that wasn't too bad. It gets unbearable when it is 40 degrees and the wind makes it feel like it's in the teens.

I have played when it was below freezing at tee off and I won't ever do it again. We were breaking ice out of the holes a couple of years ago to get the pins out and some we couldn't get out. It wasn't much fun. I would rather play when it is 105 than when it is that cold. Probably 45 and above is OK below that forget it.

No weather is too cold. I've played in 30 degree weather, Rain, and 25 mph wind in England. And I still shot 85. It sucked, but makes you stronger at the end of the day.

it was 29 when i got to the course this morning but there was a serious frost delay
40 by the time we teed off

All depends on the wind. I played in Tallahassee before a wedding in 38 but no wind and was fine, but then 45 degrees at Championsgate with a steady 15mph breeze and nothing kept me warm.

It was 33 yesterday, with 10-15 mile an hour winds....we made it through nine, then decided that was enough. Beer-thirty it was....:D

It's 30 here right now with the wind blowing 20 - 30 mph. Ain't no way i'm that tough, clubs stay in the house today...........

No weather is too cold. I've played in 30 degree weather, Rain, and 25 mph wind in England. And I still shot 85. It sucked, but makes you stronger at the end of the day.
No weather is too cold eh?

So you'd go out in weather like this?
weathermj.png

under 40, im staying home

I played New Years Eve day here in the Chicago suburbs. 40ish and breezy. It was OK, not something I'd like to do that often however.

30* and up works well for me to play.

If it's in the 30s and up I will usually play, however if the wind is blowing and it's in the low-mid 30s, I might reconsider.

We had about 15-20° F today. That was too cold for me ;)

Below 40 and catch me on the couch thinking about golf, not playing!

When is it too cold to play golf?

When is it too cold to play golf?

Just yesterday, the temps here in New Jersey dipped into the 50's, yet we still played golf. Just wondering, how cold does it have to be for you to put the clubs away until the spring? Do you play a different ball? Spend more time warming up before a round? I know there are few more decent days before the dog-days-of-winter arrive, when do you opt-out of golf? What are your tricks for staying warm?

~Christina
(freezing in North Jersey with my brother below)

559596_4339517978850_1462692725_n.jpg

Anything under 40 degrees gets pretty dicey for me. Walking during the cold rounds actually helps me stay warm. I'll also take 1-2 more clubs on every shot when the temperatures are low like that. I don't change out golf balls though.

I play as long as the greenkeepers let us play. When the green is frozen, or the morning dew freezes, it's over.

I wont golf when temps are in the 30s. Other than that, I will survive.

If the course is open, I'll try to play. The wind is the worst part, if it's cold and windy then I may not make it.

Back