More tired / sore from riding than walking?

tmoney

Bogey Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I have walked 18 carrying my bag on a fairly rolling (not flat and not a mountain) course and I swear I was not as sore than I am today. Today I rode in a cart that drove on the fairways right to the ball.

The only thing that I can think of is that the walking keeps the muscles working and loose. Sort of like how they say a basketball player doesn't want to sit on the bench, because it will tighten up.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Most everything else was equal: range balls before, scores between 90-95, weather in the 80's, etc.

You're a bad driver!!!

Yep it happens to me all the time, I usually play better and have better focus when I walk. I think my course is 7 miles, it's one of the longer ones here. For some reason I feel more tired when I ride. This could be from going through everything so fast and feeling in a hurry or something.

I could see this and I completely agree on the better play when walking side for me. I'm especially sore when I play with big hitters, lol. I catch myself swinging for the fences.

im the opposite sore from walking 18...and my scores suck hard when i walk

Strange as it seems at first I read once that you walk almost as much playing from a cart as you do walking the course. At first I thought no way, then I paid attention the next time I played in a cart to how far I walked. I am starting to believe you do walk almost as much.

I can only concur when the person driving isn't me and doesn't wait for me to sit before taking off. This consistently leads to my back slamming against the seat (if it is a bench back rest) and my neck getting whipped. Always a very sore round for me. :(

I think walking is much better than riding... you can focus on the game more and not rush through a round... I especially hate sharing carts with people as you spend more time driving to 2 seperate balls than you do just each walking to your own

36bzwl.jpg

There is absolutely no good reason to walk if you dont have to

Although I agree that I enjoy walking more - that's another thread! The question is moot on a lot of courses that are not contiguous and / or wind through housing subdivisions.

Interesting note about being the same distance walked for both. As far as the whiplash, you'd need to compare that force with the force of carrying 20+ lbs on your shoulders.

Thanks for the feedback.

36bzwl.jpg

There is absolutely no good reason to walk if you dont have to

This is kind of a dumb post... Absolutely no good reason? How about exercise? It is cheaper 99% of the time. You have more time to think about the shot you are about to hit. it keeps the muscles loose. You can use a sexxxy push cart. I feel like I can really get that "rhythm" going when I walk.

There are very few reasons to ride in my opinion. I only ride if I'm at an outing when I have to or (like last Sat.) I'm somehow physically unable to walk a full 18 holes. Other than those two why ride?

Although I agree that I enjoy walking more - that's another thread! The question is moot on a lot of courses that are not contiguous and / or wind through housing subdivisions.

Interesting note about being the same distance walked for both. As far as the whiplash, you'd need to compare that force with the force of carrying 20+ lbs on your shoulders.

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer the walking through subdivisions and carrying 20+ pounds... Push Cart!

No, I am more sore walking. Our course is hilly though. Flat doesn't really bother me, but my knees get tender pretty quick these days.

CrunchEasy;132953 There is absolutely no good reason to walk if you dont have to[/QUOTE said:
This makes literally no sense, but thats fine.

To answer the walking through subdivisions and carrying 20+ pounds... Push Cart!

I don't know...I used a push cart for the first time yesterday, and I felt just as tired as the previous week when I carried my bag. Granted, it was a little hotter this week, but the push cart took a toll on my hips and lower back, whereas carrying the bag was more of a burden on my shoulders. I am seriously considering buying a superlight carry bag and just going with two bags (something I've been trying to avoid).

As for the original question, I can get pretty tired in a cart on a slow, hot day, but I don't think I am as tired as if I had walked on that same day. I will admit playing a really hilly course here in Atlanta back in May, and even though I was in a cart I was exhausted after 14 holes. I was still doing a lot of walking from where I hit back to where my cart partner was hitting from, and it was really hilly, but I wasn't carrying my bag.

I've gotta throw in that I'm 16, strong, in good shape, and I walk 18+ holes 3 times a week now and 5+ times per week in the summer. Ofter 36+ hole days all walking. So I'm biased because I love walking and I find it simple to walk 36 holes.

A slight tangent on this topic: why does a course allow walking but not push/pull carts? There are some of those around here as well.

I don't understand the logic...

spazzdog

I've gotta throw in that I'm 16, strong, in good shape, and I walk 18+ holes 3 times a week now and 5+ times per week in the summer. Ofter 36+ hole days all walking. So I'm biased because I love walking and I find it simple to walk 36 holes.

You are also in Michigan. I would walk all Summer long up there. It is the heat and humidity that takes a toll on me, more so than the physical activity. You would think if I can ride a mountain bike over 100 miles that walking 5 miles with a golf bag would not be very taxing at all.

A slight tangent on this topic: why does a course allow walking but not push/pull carts? There are some of those around here as well.

spazzdog

Well, a lot of times when a course is super high end private, everyone has to take a caddie before 3 o'clock. It is a walking only course and to get a golf cart you need to be classified as handicapped by a doctor, or be really old. You're not allowed a push cart because you should be taking a caddie.

I'm secretly a pushcart luster. I wish I played at a course that allowed them.

spazzdog

I have been a proponent of pull/push carts for many years, but many golf snobs still see them as a tool of the muni golfer, while a lot of courses just see them as eating into their profit from cart rentals. I think the perception of push/pull carts is starting to change, though.

Pull carts have been very popular in Europe for decades. I got my first pull cart in 1990, only to find out my favorite public course would not allow them. You could either carry your bag or rent a cart from them, but no pull carts. I even offered to pay the cart fee and use my own cart, but it wasn't allowed.

A few years later I was playing at a friends private course, and the starter came up to our group on the first tee and said they were taking a members' poll, and that one of their members had requested to start using a push cart. All of the club members just busted out laughing with one guy saying "What's next, instead of reserving tee times we'll just use a ball rack?" (for those that don't know, a lot of muni courses used to have a first come/first serve policy, so you would arrive at the course and slip a golf ball in a rack, and then when your ball was pulled from the rack it was your turn to play).

I am really happy now to have joined the Canongate clubs in Atlanta, that allow use of pull/push carts at all of their courses, except Windermere which claims the course is not conducive to walking at all. The pro shops even sell push carts. Any time I walk it saves me $15 in cart fees, and allows me to get a least a little bit of exercise. I just have to figure out if I really like the push cart, or if I just want a lightweight carry bag.

Lots of guys at my club have motorized push carts. I am secretly jealous and would kill for one.

Lots of guys at my club have motorized push carts. I am secretly jealous and would kill for one.

I always think about one of those too Hawkster. I was the only walked in our group of 16 yesterday. Since I knew it was going to be a slow round I didn't care about being "that guy." I swear a friend from OH must have been out there, took 5 hours for 18 holes.

All the snobs at the club I live on have either Speed Cart SV-1s or motorized carts.

Full of new 2012 gear.

Back