Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Jeff - OUTSTANDING write up buddy!!

That was funny on the pants there. :D

First off, you have a beautiful course there - place looks simply amazing. I could see the result of the 2nd PW and you are right - that was about 2 feet from the flag, great shot!

You asked some great questions and shared some thoughts in your review. I think, for me, I would not be able to answer the forgiveness questions until I put another set of clubs into play. Unless I just hit a terribly fat shot, everything else gets me around my target and I still have a chance to score.

The turf interaction aspect is spot on. These clubs (and not just the blades) get through the turf with zero issue. Only time I have complaints about that is on fat shots. Would a more rounded leading edge allow the club face to get closer to the ball before starting that big divot?

I have another 9 hole review with video that will be posted shortly and both videos show some of the iron forgiveness.

Jeff the pants story is disastrous!!!! hahaha, thanks for having a bit of fun with it.

I really like the small editing changes you've done with the videos. They look excellent.

Also I want to second the great looking course comment. I love all the pine.

Enjoyed the update, Jeff!

I think the question of forgiveness is very interesting as well and it's something that's on my mind quite a bit these days.

There is no doubt in my mind that slight misses do effect distance and direction. That's just science and there is no disputing that. I've seen what happens when I miss a ball high on the face and I think the irons I'm testing have a similar cavity to the splits in your set. I've had to really think about what club will make sure I am not in the water, bunkers, etc if I miss short. It's an adjustment and adds another level of thought to the game, but it's not an overly hard adjustment.

I don't think it affects swing path issues or horrible misses as much (toppers, big chunks, etc), but it definitely helps minimize distance loss in other scenarios.

Really nice update Jeff. Enjoyed the read and the videos too. I know that first PW was fat but it was one killer divot haha

Thanks guys. They are very beautiful courses and I will be posting a full review thread on them, because the manager is an awesome guy that hooked me up. That's for another thread though.

Just a teaser, one of the prettiest holes.
Spoiler
Here's a pic of Prospector #10
a68908e5-c396-2519.jpg

Paulo - I will try hitting some low shots with the pockets, I am headed to the course right now. Hopefully they aren't busy, so I can take some video!

Really nice update Jeff. Enjoyed the read and the videos too. I know that first PW was fat but it was one killer divot haha

Thanks.

Ha ha true. But with the ground being wetter these days, a divot that size is not rare even on well struck shots, especially with blades.

Nice review Jeff! I'd quote it but you know. Anyway, I really like the question of forgiveness you brought up. It rains true for all types of irons and it's so hard to tell. Can't wait to watch the videos later.

Nice review Jeff! I'd quote it but you know. Anyway, I really like the question of forgiveness you brought up. It rains true for all types of irons and it's so hard to tell. Can't wait to watch the videos later.

Thanks man. I think you'll enjoy the first one especially lol. That question is something I ask myself after every round and like the other testers have said, there's no real way to answer it. I think Chunky is right, in the fact that it is usually only a few shots that I would want to see how a little extra forgiveness would help. I am definitely enjoying this set though.

im watching a couple sets on ebay, as well as the vr pro cavity.. i love the looks of the pro combo, but i think the pro cavity would help my game a little more. not sure which i will go with if either. these reviews really have me wanting to get the pro combo, and take a lesson or two

im watching a couple sets on ebay, as well as the vr pro cavity.. i love the looks of the pro combo, but i think the pro cavity would help my game a little more. not sure which i will go with if either. these reviews really have me wanting to get the pro combo, and take a lesson or two

With the pro cavity, you miss the awesomeness of the blades which is the best part of this set IMO.

true, i am hitting my 52* pretty good. i think im going to get the pro combo and if i struggle, take some lessons. they do look really really good

true, i am hitting my 52* pretty good. i think im going to get the pro combo and if i struggle, take some lessons. they do look really really good

why not just get the lessons now and buy new (or retro fit) clubs to fit your new swing? It almost sounds like you're building in an excuse to just buy clubs that look good.

obviously, I am just playing devil's advocate

ive already been fitted for irons, so i know my specs. there is a set of pro combos on the bay that are my exact specs.. im worried about the blades more then anything. i game the mizuno mx 200 irons now and strike them pretty well. only thing worries me is a blade 8 iron

good update Jeff...interesting to hear that yuo're not cheqwing up some of the softer balls out there

Test Date: 10/5/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons with PX steel shaft 5.0 flex
Testing Purpose: 9 holes played
My Club: I am using the testing clubs but my prior set was the Cobra S9's
Ball Used: TM Penta TP
Environment: Texas - 83 degrees & cloudy w/south winds at 10-15 MPH

Got back out for another 9 yesterday after work. Started off at a good pace until hole number 6 when I caught the group in front of me and then had plenty of time to practice while playing.

Hole 1 - par 5 at 497 yards dead into the wind: Drive down the middle and left with 272 to the green. No chance of getting there into the wind plus the water left makes it very risky. Used my 6 iron and laid up nicely to 123 yards out. Pull the 9 iron and hit a nice looking shot into the wind that ends up 18 feet left of the flag. 2 putt par.

Hole 2 - par 4 at 401 yards dead into the wind: Drive down the middle leaving me 154 yards. Should be a nice 6 iron and I hit it as fat as you can hit one. Leaves me 112 out and I hit a PW right at the flag but come up 40 feet short of the pin. 2 putt bogey.

Hole 3 - par 3 at 126 yards into the wind. Hit a 9 iron here and in hindsight probably should have hit 8 but it ended up being a good miss. Caught it thin and it comes up 2 yards short of the green (flag is front left). Chip to 6 feet and drain a very nice side slop downhill right to left breaker. Par.

Hole 4 - par 4 at 354 yards with wind right to left. Instead of writing this one out, enjoy this video.

Hole 5 - par 3 at 180 yards with wind at back. Enjoy this video.

Hole 6 - par 5 at 460 yards: Drive down the middle and left with 198 yards. Use my hybrid and push it pin high 20 yards right and behind a tree. Can't even see the flag and can just punch right to the high end of the green. Use a 5 iron and hit it well for a little punch chip. Leaves me 30 feet and I 2 putt for par.

Hole 7 - par 3 at 123 yards with wind at right to left: Take a 9 iron and aim to right edge of green as pin is in a middle right location. Hit a decent shot but did not get all of it. Leave it 25 feet under the hole and 2 putt for par.

Hole 8 - par 4 at 336 yards but very tight fairway. Enjoy this video.

Hole 9 - par 5 at 499 yards: No irons here. Driver - hybrid - SW over green then chip onto green and 2 putt for bogey.

Final stats on the day:

Score: 39
FW's: 5/7
GIR's: 4/9
16 putts (3 putted number 5 from 65 feet)
Triples: 0
Doubles: 0
Bogeys: 4
Pars: 4
Birdies: 1

Something I do want to elaborate on is the spin I was seeing today. I have been playing the e6 and Srixon AD-333 for the most part and typically saw a one hop and stop (within 5 feet) on well struck iron shots. Yesterday, I played the Penta TP and was seeing a one hop and stop but it was consistently left of the divot within 18 inches. So instead of a straight forward release I was actually seeing some side spin which is new for me but I attribute that to playing a premium ball. If I can consistently carry to my target that would be a great asset to have.

While I did not hit any stellar shots yesterday, I avoided the disastrous ones (minus the chunk on 2 which only cost me a bogey). No doubles or triples and was able to post a decent score. Have 36 planned tomorrow and think I will play the first 18 from the whites and second 18 from the blue and see how that impacts me.

The first thing I noticed was the ball change, mcook. I was wondering if you'd mention it. Thanks for the update!

Test Date: 10/5/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons with PX steel shaft 5.0 flex
Testing Purpose: 9 holes played
My Club: I am using the testing clubs but my prior set was the Cobra S9's
Environment: Texas - 83 degrees & cloudy w/south winds at 10-15 MPH

Got back out for another 9 yesterday after work. Started off at a good pace until hole number 6 when I caught the group in front of me and then had plenty of time to practice while playing.

Hole 1 - par 5 at 497 yards dead into the wind: Drive down the middle and left with 272 to the green. No chance of getting there into the wind plus the water left makes it very risky. Used my 6 iron and laid up nicely to 123 yards out. Pull the 9 iron and hit a nice looking shot into the wind that ends up 18 feet left of the flag. 2 putt par.

Hole 2 - par 4 at 401 yards dead into the wind: Drive down the middle leaving me 154 yards. Should be a nice 6 iron and I hit it as fat as you can hit one. Leaves me 112 out and I hit a PW right at the flag but come up 40 feet short of the pin. 2 putt bogey.

Hole 3 - par 3 at 126 yards into the wind. Hit a 9 iron here and in hindsight probably should have hit 8 but it ended up being a good miss. Caught it thin and it comes up 2 yards short of the green (flag is front left). Chip to 6 feet and drain a very nice side slop downhill right to left breaker. Par.

Hole 4 - par 4 at 354 yards with wind right to left. Instead of writing this one out, enjoy this video.

Hole 5 - par 3 at 180 yards with wind at back. Enjoy this video.

Hole 6 - par 5 at 460 yards: Drive down the middle and left with 198 yards. Use my hybrid and push it pin high 20 yards right and behind a tree. Can't even see the flag and can just punch right to the high end of the green. Use a 5 iron and hit it well for a little punch chip. Leaves me 30 feet and I 2 putt for par.

Hole 7 - par 3 at 123 yards with wind at right to left: Take a 9 iron and aim to right edge of green as pin is in a middle right location. Hit a decent shot but did not get all of it. Leave it 25 feet under the hole and 2 putt for par.

Hole 8 - par 4 at 336 yards but very tight fairway. Enjoy this video.

Hole 9 - par 5 at 499 yards: No irons here. Driver - hybrid - SW over green then chip onto green and 2 putt for bogey.

Final stats on the day:

Score: 39
FW's: 5/7
GIR's: 4/9
16 putts (3 putted number 5 from 65 feet)
Triples: 0
Doubles: 0
Bogeys: 4
Pars: 4
Birdies: 1

Something I do want to elaborate on is the spin I was seeing today. I have been playing the e6 and Srixon AD-333 for the most part and typically saw a one hop and stop (within 5 feet) on well struck iron shots. Yesterday, I played the Penta TP and was seeing a one hop and stop but it was consistently left of the divot within 18 inches. So instead of a straight forward release I was actually seeing some side spin which is new for me but I attribute that to playing a premium ball. If I can consistently carry to my target that would be a great asset to have.

While I did not hit any stellar shots yesterday, I avoided the disastrous ones (minus the chunk on 2 which only cost me a bogey). No doubles or triples and was able to post a decent score. Have 36 planned tomorrow and think I will play the first 18 from the whites and second 18 from the blue and see how that impacts me.

Nice update. Good round also. Really need to pick these up for next year

tapatalk addict....

Nice update Michael. I know it was only 9 holes, but do you think you prefer the extra spin with the Penta? Or do you prefer a little release like the e6 and AD333? Just curious.

Just got done playing 18. Will have an update this evening.

good update Jeff...interesting to hear that yuo're not cheqwing up some of the softer balls out there

Thanks. It is very nice that they don't chew up balls. I assume it has something to do with the smaller grooves. That being said, they still spin the ball very well, so obviously the ball is getting into the grooves. Maybe someone else has a better idea of why they aren't chewing up balls.

Other testers - are you seeing any chewing up of softer golf balls? I think we briefly talked about this awhile back but figured I'd ask to confirm or deny what I'm seeing.

Nice update Michael. I know it was only 9 holes, but do you think you prefer the extra spin with the Penta? Or do you prefer a little release like the e6 and AD333? Just curious.

Just got done playing 18. Will have an update this evening.

If I had my way I prefer the extra spin. To me, that is one less thing that you have to take into account on your shot (how much will it release). Since I am also making a concerted effort to avoid being short of the hole I am starting to take an extra club, etc and if I catch one completely clean and land on the back of the green that spin difference is going to determine if I am putting or chipping.

Playing all day tomorrow so should really start to get a better feel for it. Looking forward to your write-up!

If I had my way I prefer the extra spin. To me, that is one less thing that you have to take into account on your shot (how much will it release). Since I am also making a concerted effort to avoid being short of the hole I am starting to take an extra club, etc and if I catch one completely clean and land on the back of the green that spin difference is going to determine if I am putting or chipping.

Playing all day tomorrow so should really start to get a better feel for it. Looking forward to your write-up!

I completely agree and it has been one of my favorite parts of playing these irons with a premium ball. Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks. It is very nice that they don't chew up balls. I assume it has something to do with the smaller grooves. That being said, they still spin the ball very well, so obviously the ball is getting into the grooves. Maybe someone else has a better idea of why they aren't chewing up balls.

Other testers - are you seeing any chewing up of softer golf balls? I think we briefly talked about this awhile back but figured I'd ask to confirm or deny what I'm seeing.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that these irons don't chew up any ball I've played in the time I've had them. I played a 2011 Titleist Pro V1 for my last 2 rounds, which I find can be pretty soft and scuff up a bit. I played 18 with one and it still looked brand new. The grooves are definitely gripping the ball, but they don't seem to be scuffing or cutting the ball even with my mishits. Pretty pleased by that.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that these irons don't chew up any ball I've played in the time I've had them. I played a 2011 Titleist Pro V1 for my last 2 rounds, which I find can be pretty soft and scuff up a bit. I played 18 with one and it still looked brand new. The grooves are definitely gripping the ball, but they don't seem to be scuffing or cutting the ball even with my mishits. Pretty pleased by that.

Completely agree. I've played quite an assortment of balls ranging from the TM Burner Tour to the Pro V1s and not once did a ball ever get a mark on it due to the club. Pretty remarkable I think and quite possibly the biggest accomplishment from this set. I think other companies will be going to smaller plus more grooves.

Completely agree. I've played quite an assortment of balls ranging from the TM Burner Tour to the Pro V1s and not once did a ball ever get a mark on it due to the club. Pretty remarkable I think and quite possibly the biggest accomplishment from this set. I think other companies will be going to smaller plus more grooves.

Those are two super underrated thoughts. With how expensive balls are for a top of the line ball, that is something that I never really thought about. My last set of irons used to chew up balls BIG time. I was blaming the ball, but maybe my anger should have been directed elsewhere.

Test Date: 10/6/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons with KBS Tour Stiff shafts
Testing Purpose: 18 holes played
Course: Rope Rider Golf Course at Suncadia Resort
My Club: I am using the testing clubs but my prior set was 2010 TM Tour Preferred
Environment: Central Washington - Cool, sunny at times, windy.

Ball striking was mediocre today. I could tell I was thinking too much about each shot, but I couldn't stop! Once again, I couldn't putt. There is a trend here. I am a good two-putt-er, but I couldn't make a birdie putt. Ended up shooting 82 (40/42). The backside was a barrage of bogeys. Enough about the round.

First things first. Paulo asked for me to try lowering the ball flight with the Pocket Cavities. Luckily I was playing alone and was able to shoot this video.

Spoiler

Thoughts: Overall I was impressed with the knockdown shots. The second shot was hit about the same distance as my normal shot, but a little lower and straight, and the third shot was even lower but about 10 yards short of the others. I didn't get much roll out due to the wet ground so that could affect the total distance of the lower shots. The fourth, bad. The second shot is a shot I wish I hit every time with these clubs, and just shows that I need to remind myself to play the pocket cavities a little further back than I'm used to.

Wind:
Much windier this round and it showed. I never saw how many MPH the wind was, but it picked up on the back side and I have some new thoughts on these clubs in strong wind. I had two shots balloon today, but both of them were not well struck (middle of the club face) shots, so that may have something to do with it. I also had a couple shots get knocked down by the wind, not ballooned per se, but came up way short of where they should have. A good example: I had 171 yards, front pin, a little downhill, wind directly in the face. I choose 5i (my 180ish club) and hit what I thought was going to be close. It came up a good 15 yards short. So I hit another one from the same spot, giving it a little extra, and still come up 5 yards short. One thing I didn't have much, was wind at my back. I had maybe one shot with the wind at my back, all others seemed to be side winds or wind in the face. As far as side winds, they still are not affecting my shots as much as I would expect, or am used to with my previous irons. Again, I could be thinking about it too much, but they seemed to only move a little bit even in a decently strong side wind. I will pay more attention to this later. I would say that wind in the face has the most affect on shots with these clubs.

Misc.:
*Lazy swings will be punished with these clubs! I got a little frustrated, and a little lazy, on the back side due to all of my bogeys and a couple shots were flat out ugly. I'm not sure any clubs would help those swings, but maybe a little more forgiveness wouldn't make them so bad.

I have to run to class. I have a few more thoughts, I just wanted to get this up.

Back