Wilson Zip vs Wilson Duo

Golfer_LD

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anybody used and compared both of these? Interested in Feel, Spin, Distance, and How Straight of the Driver.

Thanks in Advance

I have and enjoyed both. The Duo is easier to compress without question. Spin and feel is similar for me, although I like the sound of the Duo more off the putter.

Has anybody used and compared both of these? Interested in Feel, Spin, Distance, and How Straight of the Driver.

Thanks in Advance

I really like the DUO. Haven't hit Zips though, sorry. But for the money, I think the DUO is a great ball. On normal, high approach shots, they stick like a champ for me. They run a bit more on the lower incoming shots, but you can adjust/learn to that. I've even been backing a few up with my new 588.
I just put three dozen in my inventory of balls at something like 17.89/doz recently. Can't beat it.

I should be getting some Duo's soon from an Edwin Watts contest I won a while back. Once I get them I will give a review of them.

I really want to try out the Duo, but I like the Zip's a lot, especially off the putter. If I remember correctly, it is a zero compression ball.

What is a zero compression ball?

What is a zero compression ball?
By utilizing a minimum level of curatives in the polybutadiene mix, Wilson engineers created a rubber-rich core that is extremely soft and highly resilient. With this breakthrough core in the center, Wilson engineers were able to create completely new core/cover combinations with outstanding results. Inside, a zero compression core is so soft that it registers "zero" on golf's Atti compression testing equipment. The Zip gets its power from a mantle layer made of a resilient DuPont HPF polymer. Outside, an ultra soft ionomer cover delivers the touch and spin expected from a high performance multilayer ball. It's the perfect option for players seeking soft feel, great distance and greenside control.

Ah... thanks for that.. interesting... and guess what... now I want to try them..ha.

I switched from the RX330 to the Duo and love them. Very easy to compress. When you hit driver it feels like you can crush the sh*t out of them. Much better control around the greens and feels/sounds great off the putter. I may have lost 10 yards off driver but control is much better.

Just bought 2 doz Zips for $17 total... waiting on the weather to clear to play them. Been a ProV1 fan for a while now. Gonna see if the reviews stand up vis a vis.

Just bought 2 doz Zips for $17 total... waiting on the weather to clear to play them. Been a ProV1 fan for a while now. Gonna see if the reviews stand up vis a vis.

I haven't used the Zip, but would have to imagine it plays much different the ProV1 because of the ionomer cover. People seem to like the Zip, enjoy it.

Dave

I have some old stock Zips from 5 years ago that I just put back into play for the first time in forever, three rounds now. Still have six dozen, lol... Bought them in December 2010 for just $5/dozen at Martin's in Myrtle Beach. Cold spell then and they proved a great winter ball so I stocked up.

I generally swing 110+ mph with driver so these shouldn't work for me but just like in the past, they do.

I do lose some yardage, maybe 10 yards or so off driver but there's no ballooning. I also allow for about a half-club loss in distance with irons to good effect. Medium, penetrating flight that just so happens to not go as far as tour balls.

Scores have trended downward to a season low of 77 today. It's the feel that's captured me. Reminds me of the old Titleist Profesional I guess. I'm realizing a tangible benefit in the short game. My pitching, chipping and putting are just better with the Zip. Seem to just go at it more confidently, go figure.

I'll second to what JB had to say about the Duo off the putter. There really isn't almost any sound, just a nice quite thump.

Back