Forum Testing Signup - Champ Spike Challenge

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At THP, we believe that testing should be done not only by us, but also by the wonderful forum members and we have another new testing project. One of the cool features about being an active member of the THP Forum is that we look to you guys/gals, the consumers, to give feedback on equipment to golfers all around the world. Each month we send out iron sets, drivers, putters, trainings aids and golf balls to our active members to be a part of the THP Forum Member testing.

Each year we talk about new golf shoes and one of the biggest parts people look for is traction and stability. CHAMP Spikes wants to take that to another level and do something we call the Spike Challenge.

timthumb.php

The Spikes
THP will actually be testing two types of spikes for these forum reviews. The CHAMP ScorpioSTINGER spikes and the CHAMP Zarma Cleat. Information on both can be found here.

Criteria
You must be able to play golf (either on course, driving range or indoor facility).
20 Forum Members will be selected to participate.
If selected, shipping is free for Albatross Club members only.
If you are not a member & would like to become one, click here.

Testing Process
If selected it will be your job to test the spikes out (minimum of once per week) and update the official testing thread with feedback on your findings. You must be on the forum to answer questions throughout the testing period as well as discuss the spikes thoroughly. This is long term testing and will need updates for a period of a couple of months. If you are looking for info on what forum testing feedback should look like, check out the forum testing example thread here.

To participate you must be an active forum member or become an active forum member. Being active on THP has its benefits and product testing is one of them (monthly testing like this). If you are new, that is okay, being active is more than just tenure.

Rules
This is not a contest, so there really are no rules. All we ask is that you make a post in this thread and answer these questions. Please have an answer to all questions and be specific.

1. What golf shoes would these go in?
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test?
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you?
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level?

Keep in mind if you are not chosen for this, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future here at THP for testing and other product trials. Stay active and you will have a chance to be part of these awesome testings we do here.

Newsletter
If you sign up for the free THP Digital Newsletter that hits your inbox each month, you could find out about testing before anybody else. You can sign up by clicking on the Newsletter tab at the top of the page.

The Testers
If you are on this list, you must send me a PM with this info.
Name
Shipping address
Cleat of Choice
Golf Shoes they are going in

KMAC
mcook77
JR
10YardDraw
Jersey Nate
Chewie69
pmoa
royalwulff
thedue
TriplebogeyTime
Wake
leiruagetro
ddxu
DawgDaddy
JRod
Nate
jefrazie
mikedean441
buckjob
Dr.teeth

Last edited:
Great testing opportunity here, with my summer work schedule getting ready to kick off I will have almost zero golf time. Congrats to CHAMP Spikes for allowing THP to test.

Another awesome testing opportunity!!! Thanks THP and champ!

Very cool, was excited to see a spike testing for the first time on THP!

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Adidas Powerband 2.0's
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? Zarma
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? Simply stated, a solid foundation for the entire golf swing. Slippage in the swing can cause many issues, and unfortunately, I think many of us (including me) overlook the need for updating our spikes on a regular basis.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing process would consist of range sessions and walking the course - both 9 & 18 holes. I would attempt to find various surfaces to attempt golf shots from in order to test the spikes. Activity level is high.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Adidas Powerband 2.0

2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? CHAMP Zarma Cleat

3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? Living in a wet'er climate and a lot of courses in the area being completely different, a good versatile cleat that offers support is important because you never know what sort of stance you will come across.

4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing would consist of walking the course. So lots of time on the feet in natural environments. Been golfing at least once per week so far this year and lately it has even more than that. I generally try to get on the board daily for an hour or two. I will not be active on Friday's and Saturday's, but other than that will be on just about daily surfing the board.

Thanks THP and CHAMP for this opportunity.

I would be happy to test these out.

1. FootJoy Contour
2. Zarma
3. I play a pretty soft, muddy course, which really asks a lot of my golf shoes. I also lose my balance sometimes, as a result of going after the ball harder than normal. I believe a solid foundation would help correct some of that.
4. I believe the best way to test these would be to use them in as varied conditions as possible. Mud, pinestraw, fresh cut grass, all are fair game. I will also report on the comfort I percieve, as that seems to be a selling point of the Zarma spikes, and I am a nearly unwaivering walker.

I am one of the most active members on the forum, there is no way to dispute that. I have taken part in many testings, and have provided valuable feedback in all cases. I am unerringly honest in said feedback, which I belive is a necessary quality in an equipment tester.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Multiple Adidas shoes using the pins system
Powerband 3.0S
adipure
Innolux

2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? Zarma

3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? Without a good foundation to swing upon even the most perfected swing can come undone. With some places on the course being a little less easy to get a good base having a solid performing clear can be a huge benefit.

4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing would based on on course performance. As we prepare to enter wet season in Florida maintaining solid contact with the ground is crucial to having a stabile base. Since the zarma cleat was designed with comfort in mind I will compare the feel vs oem cleats. Activity level, I'm not going anywhere :)

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Foot Joy Contours
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? Scorpion Stingers
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? A big difference, not slipping and feeling more balanced/equal around and on the green is huge.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I would test these on the range and course weekly. I try to play 2-3x a week and if thats not possible I at least hit the range. I have over 6,000 post so I would say im pretty active. I would test these out of every lie imaginable. Thanks to Champ and THP for another great testing opportunity.

Another great testing opportunity for THP forum members. Thanks to Champ and THP for making this possible. As I already have Champ spikes in two pairs of my golf shoes, I will be happy to contribute to the reviews as a 21st tester.

1. I would be putting these in my older Callaway shoes (not sure what model) so I can test them against my FJ Sports.
2. I would like to test the Scorpion Stingers.
3. I am having balance issues, and I think these spikes could improve that. My course is very hilly and I often play on slanted and uneven lies, so balance is key.
4. I try to be as active as I can on THP. I'm trying to only post when I feel I can add to the threads. I walk 19/20 times I play, and I usually play 5 times a week, along with 2 range sessions per week and a few hours on the putting green. I feel I can really give an honest opinion on how they compare to a brand new golf shoes' stability. I plan to purchase a pair of spikeless shoes in the near future, and I can give feedback on how those compare also.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Footjoy Sport
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? Champ Zarma
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? I can tell when my spikes start to get worn down, because my lead foot starts to slip during my follow through. I like standing over the ball and having the confidence that my spikes are going to keep me stable.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I walk nine holes once or twice a week, where you have to walk the cart path in between some of the holes. I also go to the range during the week, and hit off of both mats and turf, depending on the day. I am fairly active on THP, and would be able to update my testing with photos and video.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? FootJoy GreenJoys
2. What golf spikes would you like to test? Scorpion Stingers
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? Solid support is the base of your stance, which effects every portion of the golf swing. Balance, traction, and control of your feet matters to me when I'm facing uphill, downhill, sidehill, bunker, and wet lies.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I have been an active member of THP since I joined last fall, and have been a part of both the Bridgestone and Nuun testings. As a mid-high capper, I see plenty of lies, from perfect fairways to bunkers, to mud, to pine straw. I plan to test these spikes in every possible lie that I can to see how stable they are. I usually get out to golf at least once or twice a week (sometimes more) and I plan on testing these through both my weekly golf league, as well as extra rounds and range sessions. I also plan on documenting the process of spike wear through photos throughout the testing process and beyond. Thank you to Champ and THP for this opportunity!

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Adidas Greenstar Z's
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? Scorpion STINGER
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? Id hope with solid support comes solid shots.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing process would include but not be limited to playing golf on a golf course, practice range time and putting green time. My activity level is consistent and ongoing. I enjoy the testing process and talking about it on appropriate THP threads.

Awesome opportunity, here are my answers

1. Nike tw zoom 2009
2. Zarma
3. I've been replacing my spikes with the scorpion stinger and they have been giving me great support. They allow me to plant on my downswing without fear of losing grip so I can go after the ball.
4. I will be testing the spikes from receipt of the package, spike install and removal, to weekly league play while walking 9 holes. I also play most weekends as well. I find this to be particularly important because you can test wear and tear as well as comfort for walking. Both important in judging a spike. Traction vs. durability vs. Comfort. It would be interesting to put a time lapse image series over the testing period to show the wear and tear.

Hope I can help!

Tappin' dat pad on tapatalk

1. What golf shoes would these go in?puma 917s
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? I think I'd like to try the Scorpion Stingers
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? A solid platform
Is key to a powerful consistent golf swing. Added support is never a bad thing. I'd also like to know the average life of these spikes in the year around golf conditions of central florida.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Upon receipt of the spikes I will replace my current spikes and head out to my course for a round of golf. Id really focus on the lateral support of the spikes and how they interact with the turf. I look for traction but what to be sure I'm not getting stuck or hung up. I play at least one a week so these will get some good on course experience.

Special thanks to champs and THP for this unique testing opportunity.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? FootJoy Streets
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? Champ Stingers
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? With everything from hardpan to soggy swamp and lots of sand outside the bunkers, I always depend on my shoes and spikes to give me stability in lots of different conditions.
I play at least once a week and am on the range a couple of times a week. So if selected these spikes will get a work out. I am picky about my spikes and have been known change them out more than once a year if they start showing lots of wear. I would have to see about maybe putting these spikes on one shoe and another brand on the other and see how they wear and perform. I am on here daily and have been involved in prior testings.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Footjoy SYNR-G

2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? CHAMP Zarma, I already am a user of the Champ ScorpionStinger and would like to compare them to each other.

3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? Solid support means solid shots. I can use all the help I can get.

4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I play golf 3 to 5 times per week, I also try to work in at least one range session per week. Lots of different shots from different lies and qualities of stance. We have high grass, pine straw areas, bare areas so I will be able to put thise spikes through almost any imaginable situation. I am farily active on THP posting often and have tested several products for THP in the past. I will post a couple of times per week containing my thoughts and observations, I can post pics of the spikes as they are used to show the wear as the test progresses. I would commit to wear my SYNR-G shoes at least 2 of the times I am on the course per week.

I wish this trial had come along a few weeks ago - I just bought Champ spikes and re-spiked all 4 pairs of my Foot-Joys. Great product - good luck to the lucky testers!

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Etonic Sport-Techs

2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? I'm going to push my luck and say both. I regularly rotate two pairs of Etonics and I'd like to put one pair of spikes in each pair.

3. What kind of difference will solid support give you?
Posture and turning against my back leg are a couple of the big things I've worked on in my lesson series over the winter. Having a stable platform is crucial to doing that. I'm pretty constantly aware of my footing for this reason. Also, living in Portland and having my home course struggle with drainage means I play in sloppy conditions quite regularly. The spikes will be put to the test; my shoes are reasonably new so I think it will be interesting to compare this product vs. the out of the box spikes.

I will say up front that I probably don't play as much as others. I will definitely be at the range, on the course or doing a playing lesson a minimum of once a week, sometimes twice but almost certainly no more than that on a regular basis. On the other hand I'm a walker, virtually never ride in a cart. In July I'll be in Bandon for a handul of days walking 36 holes a day. It might be interesting to incorporate that experience into the testing. Otherwise, my testing process will be pretty straight forward: inspect, install and use the spikes and report back on my impressions. I'm a system analyst by trade and I'm accustomed to exploring, probing and testing, often in creative ways. I may not have any grand revelations today but I'll likely come up with some kind of different way to approach this when doing it. Video is unlikely to be part of my repertoire but pictures probably are. Re THP activity level, there's virtually never a day that I'm not here posting and reading.

Last edited:
Just my luck, my shoes don't have changeable spikes.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? My adidas 3.0's
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? I would like to test the Zarma spikes since they are the only ones that will fit in the adidas shoes.
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? I tend to slip quite a bit while in my downswing, so being able to keep solid to the ground will definitely help out with better contact and further distance.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? My testing process would be to compare the current spikes I have in my shoes to the new Champ Zarma spikes. I will be testing for comfort, durability, and performance. My activity level here at THP is quite high, while I dont usually post much I am always lurking around and putting my two cents in where I see fit. I have been apart of the NUNN testing forum and would love to contribute some more feedback for THP and its community as well as Champ as well.

Thanks for the testing partnership THP & Champ, here is my submission:

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Nike Lunar Control
2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? Zarma - I am a walker who likes to carry. The lotus technology sounds like it will make walking a bit easier on the feet.
3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? Solid support will help me control my 'turn out' of my right side. A swing flaw I have when I transition too quickly is to come out of it a bit. Solid support will help me stay controlled and hopefully lessen my misses.
4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am able to test on the range and play in a weekly group Saturday afternoons. I log several hours of THP time a week and participate in many sections of the forum.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? FootJoy Street. I believe FootJoy are Tri-Lock. The Street's come with SoftSpikes Pulsar spikes.

2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? With the low profile look and feel of the Street's, I would say that the Zarma would probably be the best bet for these shoes. From what I have read about the two, it seems this would be a better fit in this shoe, and offer more comfort.

3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? I am the kind of player that really likes to go after my shots. That being said, a solid foundation is a must. Losing your footing is frustrating and can lead to bad shots, and more importantly, bad scores.

4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Well, I was chosen as a tester for the Polara line of golf balls recently, and while I am not able to play the amount of golf as others on our site, I feel I did a solid review of the Polara ball line, from a mid-handicappers point of view. I also added reviews and insight to the Nuun testing that occurred recently, by venturing out and buying and trying the product on my own. I have two brand new pair of FootJoy Streets, so I could do a good side by side comparison between the two spikes (SoftSpikes Pulsar stock FootJoy offering and the Champ Zarma challenge). I am active and on THP each and every day, averaging about 21 posts per day, so accessibility is never an issue.

I want to thank Champ and THP! for throwing this challenge at the members and giving us this opportunity.

1. What golf shoes would these go in? Adidas 360 ATV

2. Which of the two spikes would you like to test? The only ones that would go in my shoes. lol The zarma

3. What kind of difference will solid support give you? I walk 100% of my rounds, I regularly go though a set of spikes a round. I would love to see and share with the forum a spike that can handle the riggers of 5-7 rounds a week!

4. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am rather new to the forums, but I have been reviewing product for some time now. I'm always looking to help my fellow golfer in his/her search for the perfect setup, and the gear that will change their game. :)

Back