kenichi600

Reaction score
Handicap
LOL
Hey all,

How long after you started swinging the clubs did you folks get out on the course for the first time? I've taken 3 lessons so far and spend 2-3 days a week at the range for about a month now, don't quite feel confident nuff' to get out there... Let me know.

=)

It was a confidence thing for me to when I started. My first round was with my father and another guy and after the first tee all my fears were gone.

Get out there as soon as you can. Try to go with friends who will help and encourage you. Good luck

My first time out was actually for a charity tournament, I quickly "learned" to play a few days before, it was a disaster but i had so much fun that i stuck to it and now i'm obsessed.

The only way you learn to swim is jump in and do your thing. Enjoy!

Find a slow time at the course and go for it. When I came back to it I told the guys at the clubhouse my situation and they let me out alone. The par3's or executive courses are very relaxed as well. Great rates too.

I hadn't played in 30 years, and that was only a few times with my dad. I took a lesson, went to the range a couple times, then got out there even though I thought I wasn't ready. More embarrassing than anything else, as I started with a wicked baseball-swing slice. However, had a great time and now hooked. I agree with others to go to an easier course during slow time to start. Some of the best advice has come from golfers who have played a hole or two with me.Cheers,Matt

I played 9 holes the first day I'd ever touched clubs. A week after we moved to Michigan my dad says "Jack there's this golf thing going on for kids and you're signing up." Well I absolutely HATED the idea and wanted nothing to do with golf because I was into basketball at the time. After a 15 minute group lesson they threw us all out on the course. I didn't exactly like it after the week went by but I didn't hate it anymore. Look at me now.

Hey all,

How long after you started swinging the clubs did you folks get out on the course for the first time? I've taken 3 lessons so far and spend 2-3 days a week at the range for about a month now, don't quite feel confident nuff' to get out there... Let me know.

=)

When I was a kid (late 1960's) my parents would not let me or my brother play on the course until we proved to them that we could do so in a timely manner. Our personal rule back then was that we got one over par stroke wise and if we were not on the green at that point, we picked up and dropped on the green. From there, we were only allowed three putts and then we picked up. My parents were big as well for us to learn proper etiquette before we played on the course. It is all about taking care of the course and being aware there are others using the course as well. Just something to consider as you learn the game.

I learned to play on caddie's day (Monday), 50 years ago. The caddy master was the "boss" of the course, and if you couldn't advance the ball with every swing, he kindly asked you to leave and come back when you could - LOL. He would also sporadically ride the course to make sure we played quickly, replaced divots, raked traps, and fixed ball marks, and anyone who didn't was asked to leave the course and not come back.

Those were the days. :)

1st time i ever swung a club was on a golf course lol... dad cut down an old set and stuck us kids in a cart and we shared the set while he played and we screwed around

Honestly, my first real swing was on the t box, there very first time I ever played, friends calle dme up early on July 4th, ( still feeling the beer form the night before) LOL, I was told to get over to my friends house they were going golfing. I didn't even have clubs I had to rent them, after my first swing went into the woods, i teed off again and dead straight, I was hooked ever since.

I think that as long as you have realistic expectations about your game and the course you are playing you should be fine to go out and hit em. Be realistic keep up with the people you are playing with, I recommend buddies who will help you and give you some advice causally. If you play with strangers they may be a little less likely to give you friendly advice. Everyone had to start somewhere and the best way is to go out and give it a try. Good luck

Just go play. My first time playing was my first time really hitting a ball. Just don't be a slow-poke and go have some fun.

My wife had two lessons and about 5 or 6 range sessions in about two weeks before we played the executive course (she had par and birdie her very first round), and she played it 7 or 8 times and had a couple more lessons and a few more range sessions in another month before she told me she was ready to play a big course.

My best friend and I played for weeks at the high school football practice field, just hitting balls around (we invented the goalpost in one game) before we joined the golf team in the Spring. Our coach had us on the range and went over etiquette and technique for a week before we hit the course the first time.

As others have said, just get out and play. No one cares how good or bad you play as long as you keep pace. I got paired with a couple over the winter that just started to play. They boy friend at one point apologized for being so bad. I honestly didn't realize it because I was more concentrated on making par on the front and because they were keeping pace. Like Nike, JUST DO IT!!!

like others have said, just play!

but the key thing that's being glossed over is to make sure you play at the right kind of place
don't go to the nicest course in town, go to a par 3, or short executive course.. they're cheaper and more beginner friendly

Thanks for the words and advice all... I plan to get out there in the next month or so... hopefully work will let me expense it LOL. Hooked already (sliced too =))

like others have said, just play!

but the key thing that's being glossed over is to make sure you play at the right kind of place
don't go to the nicest course in town, go to a par 3, or short executive course.. they're cheaper and more beginner friendly

Ummmm!

im all for first timers getting on the course but i see it day in and day out since i work at a course and have to deal with it... but
make absolutely sure you know the rules of the course... the rules of the game... and ettiquette
i say this not just for the OP but for anyone that just wants to go out on the course who has never swung a club

I would look for a par 3 or executive course to get my feet wet on. I still enjoy playing them early in the season especially to get the short game working.

If you can't find one jump in on a bigger course. Do 9 your first time out. Use what you learned in your lessons and keep up to the guys you play with. I don't care if a guy is a beginner or even a bad golfer as long as they hustle along and everyone isn't waiting for them constantly.

I would also show up early. It gives you time to chip and putt a bit and get stretched and warmed up and prepared to play. Keep an extra ball in your pocket along with a couple tees and a ball mark repair tool and a ball marker of some kind. Know where everything in your bag is.

Spend some time like BogeyRuss said and learn on course etiquette. Here's a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_etiquette

I tell my friends to get out on the course as early as possible to get over the fear. Go with an understanding friend during twilight or super twilight hours, when the course is empty. When i was a kid i waited two years. It slowed down the development of my game. When i got back into golf after 10 years off, i waited 3-4 months before going on the course. Another mistake. I got addicted to the course and the season was almost over (in terms of amount of sunlight, so i could play after work). I took a year off, and came back this season. Swing kinks and all, i was on the course in two weeks.

I can now effectively go see what i need to work on. What is not working on the course, and work on that at the range. Being at the range too long will really distort the evaluation of your golf swing and ability to hit shots. It matters on the course. On the range i was a superstar. The course brought me back to reality. Yesterday i played a 9 holes real quick. I play alone in the evening when the course is empty. For 7 bucks, it is my real world driving range. I played a brand new set of clubs i never hit before. And now i can go back to the range tomorrow and see what i need to work on and find out with these clubs, which is my irons, and my putting.

Get out there! its fun and way more beautiful and peaceful than the range.

I Played first as well before hitting the range. Just go enjoy it my friend!!

Practicing first is always a good idea but playing an actual course is a completely different ballgame. I think you need both practice and real playing time when beginning. You need to gain confidence on the golf course, learn course management and understand course etiquette.........golf is more than just swinging a stick at a ball. The best way to learn all of those is to play with experienced golfers.

When I first started playing, I was terrified to play with other golfers or have people watch me swing. You may have these fears as well but as many have said, most golfers only care about how fast/slow you play. The group ahead/behind you could care less if you are playing horribly as long as you a) don't hit into them and b) don't cause them to have a 6 hour round.

Now I just tell golfers I get paired up with......"I'm not the best golfer but I can play pretty fast". :banana:

I learned when I was a kid and I think I learned on the golf course. Find some people you can play with who won't get bent if you take your time or hit a few shots OB or hit some worm burners and just go and have fun. If you go bad in a hurry off the tee then just start dropping one at the 150 stake on every hole and play from there. Pick up after 3 or 4 putts no matter what and pickup after you get to 8 no matter what. Have fun and don't think about the score until you can hit the ball the direction you want it to go maybe half the time.

Back