Islander

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello everyone
I have 2 pairs of pants that I am struggling to find matching shirts for and need some help. First pair, brown and cream pinstripe with each colour about the same width. Second, brown plaid with a the "boxes" being yellow. Brown is the base colour. Any suggestions on shirt colours would be greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't white match about anything?

The secondary color on the shorts (the color that is not brown) should work for the shirt as well, wouldn't it?

Post some pics of the shorts in question!

Islander,

Any shade of the brown from dark down to light tan will match either pant. If you want to go into the light cream whites you'll be ok as well.

Pick a nice yellow to go with the plaid... If you can match it great, but even a near shade match would probably work.

Good luck.

Yellow shirt for the plaid pants.

For the brown and cream pants, going to go a bit against the grain here and say a dull navy.

Also Smalls, not sure white and cream go well together myself, but of course that is my opinion.

Depending on the shade of brown, black can actually work. Some people consider that to be a fashion faux paux (sp), but that rule is no longer part of today's fashion standards.

Also, it may be possible to match a shade of blue with those pants. It's my opinion that the blue should match the dominant color in both pants, which is brown. Also, the blue needs to be the 'same shade' as the brown. So dark blue with dark brown, and a lighter blue with lighter brown.

Finally, navy matches everything except black.

Take it from a guy who has to wear a suit and tie everyday.

~Rock

Depending on the shade of brown, black can actually work. Some people consider that to be a fashion faux paux (sp), but that rule is no longer part of today's fashion standards.

Also, it may be possible to match a shade of blue with those pants. It's my opinion that the blue should match the dominant color in both pants, which is brown. Also, the blue needs to be the 'same shade' as the brown. So dark blue with dark brown, and a lighter blue with lighter brown.

Finally, navy matches everything except black.

Take it from a guy who has to wear a suit and tie everyday.

~Rock
I think it should be opposite of this! Dark shirt with light shorts, and light shirt with dark shorts.

(Or is the above only if it's a two-tone short?)

I guess I hadn't really thought about it, but yes, I'd say my rule applies to two tone shorts. It also assumes single color shirts.

If a person has single color shorts, then my opinion is that you could wear whatever you deem to be seasonably appropriate. For instance, today, I'm wearing a very dark brown pair of pants. Since it is summer, I'm wearing lighter color blue shirt with a bright yellow tie. If this were late fall or winter, I'd be wearing a very dark blue shirt with a deep/dark gold tie. I have a very light pair of brown/white plaid shorts. I can wear white, I can wear a deep navy blue, a light teal, and if I had it, a canary yellow shirt would look great with it (and make me easier to see on the course). I would probably also wear something darker than light pink with it. That would be a color combination that I would completely agree with Smallville on. A darker pink shirt with a lighter pair of shorts.

And truthfully, fashion has taken on a complicated and seemingly endless color matching spectrum, particularly with clothes that have more than one color. Perhaps that is why Sligo has such a high appeal to me. I think the end result is that you can probably match just about anything with those shorts.

When in doubt, askmen.com site search on color coordinating clothes.

~Rock

Back