TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I just want to say that everyone's writeups and reviews are awesome. I found me new irons, but I considered these due to the awesome reviews. Keep up the good work!!

tapatalk addict....

Thanks OEM, rino and clsmooth glad I can add a little something to the mix. The 7 iron toe up chip works well in a shaved slope setup.
Matty glad you enjoyed all the write ups by the testers. I hope a review on THP aided in your purchase of new irons

Dang dashi, what are you chargin' for lessons over there cause I owe ya for 4:33. Nice option with the putting stroke. I'll give that a try. Good videos!

Dang dashi, what are you chargin' for lessons over there cause I owe ya for 4:33. Nice option with the putting stroke. I'll give that a try. Good videos!

Thanks brother I enjoyed chipping with the R11s. I feel it has a lot to do with the sole of the clubs

Thanks brother I enjoyed chipping with the R11s. I feel it has a lot to do with the sole of the clubs
Send me a bill! Speaking of the sole, I think it was maybe biggsy? spoke about the sole being larger than his previous clubs and how that he felt it a bit harder to get through the rough. Assuming you see the rough during a round :D, have you found the club easy to get through the longer grass? It's been my experience so far that the club moves nicely for me in this area (and I get opportunities). I felt before like I got a lot of grass between the face and ball, not so much any more. Previous cuts with my Nike clubs, I felt like I "pulled grass" when the ball came off the face, if that makes sense.

I'm not the straightest hitter of the ball by any means with the driver. I have learned to manage my game from all over the course. That being said I have played from the rough plenty with these clubs. I have experienced what Biggsy spoke of and the converse.
Out of the thicker St augustine rough or wet Bermuda rough we have it's been a little challenging. I've since tried to come in a bit steeper out of the rough and this has worked great.
I hit a 7 iron with a steeper swing he other day an it was effortless. The next hole with a PW my swing was a bit shallow and the club labored through the rough, produced a short pull.

I'm not the straightest hitter of the ball by any means with the driver. I have learned to manage my game from all over the course. That being said I have played from the rough plenty with these clubs. I have experienced what Biggsy spoke of and the converse.
Out of the thicker St augustine rough or wet Bermuda rough we have it's been a little challenging. I've since tried to come in a bit steeper out of the rough and this has worked great.
I hit a 7 iron with a steeper swing he other day an it was effortless. The next hole with a PW my swing was a bit shallow and the club labored through the rough, produced a short pull.
Thanks for the quick response.

Well for me, the R11's offer the thinnest sole of any iron I've had in the bag for the past couple of years. I've had no issues with these irons and getting them through the rough. In fact, I'm experiencing quite the opposite in that the "tour inspired sole" does exactly as advertised:

"Increase playability from a variety of lies"

Maybe it has more to do with the type of rough one plays out of?

Maybe it has more to do with the type of rough one plays out of?
Sure enough...with zero rain to speak of here, they've let the rough grow some, but its "stringy" I guess. I really haven't found a shot yet where I feel these irons haven't done their job though, sometimes I don't show up for work, but these clubs seem to.

Sure enough...with zero rain to speak of here, they've let the rough grow some, but its "stringy" I guess. I really haven't found a shot yet where I feel these irons haven't done their job though, sometimes I don't show up for work, but these clubs seem to.

I'm pretty fortunate in that around here my favorite course is burmuda grass and everywhere else is bent grass. I find the bent grass (if long and thick enough) far more difficult to get out of. I don't know, I just haven't had the issue of getting these irons through the rough like others have. It's all relative really.

Would this interaction with the rough be any different with any other club? Or is it just what comes with the lie?

Would this interaction with the rough be any different with any other club? Or is it just what comes with the lie?

I would think it's a lie thing. I mean, if the ball is sitting down in the rough, it's difficult to execute no matter what the iron or sole shape is.

Not for me, I play outta' the rough exclusively!:D

Agreed TC.

I agree with all the above, the lie, moisture level, etc will come into play.

Buck nice thoughts and write up. Half swings are always good to have in the bag. Since you are getting 60 yards out of a half AW is it safe to say a full AW is your 120 club? I see we are getting similar distances.

its about 110-115 for my AW right now. im sure i could get it 120 with no wind if i wanted to muscle it but i would rather just hit an easy PW, like weve talked about.

Freddie those chipping videos were SPOT on to exactly what i just got from my Golftec lessons except you forgot to also say "finish with your belt buckle towards your target"! lol i have been working on my chipping so much this year and it has improved dramatically. I also just started on the 6 iron chipping. about 3 weeks ago. nice little shot to have. I love the way the AW in the r11s runs a good amount i just adjust where i need to land my shot depending on the steep of the hill or distance to the cup. Still working on the 6 iron chip more but i did use it in yesterdays round just to use it i had a long way to the cup i left my 2nd shot short on the front fairway to the green on a par 5 used it and made birdie. nice videos! now i wanna go practice!

Thanks buck...it's nice knowing the AW will release to the hole. I need a consistent club for the chip n run. I'll use my wedges if I need something to checkup.

Yeah I've been doing the same thing. Been using the AW a lot more than my wedges which used to be the exact opposite.

funny talking about the AW, I had favored my 50* XFT - but with the colder weather i went with an AW last few times out - i am liking it, definately a tough decision to make. Seems to be higher than the XFT but theres been 20*F difference between rounds.

think my AW favors the harder cold ground. MY XFT's can dig a divot - and it hurts to strike cold hard ground fat lol

I got 9 in this morning and it was very windy again but a lot warmer so I played. I am loving the way these feel when you pure one, its a great feeling. I have noticed I get more stingers on thin shots with these than I did with my mizunos. I also hit a couple shots fat which I think is just adjusting to the length of the irons, last ones were standard and these are +0.25 and even stock are +0.25 longer than my mizzys were so thats a half inch longer total. Overall I have hit them pretty decent for them being brand new and like with any new iron I need to get adjusted to it before it all comes together. Very pleased so far though, they fit my eye perfectly, just a beautiful iron.

I got 9 in this morning and it was very windy again but a lot warmer so I played. I am loving the way these feel when you pure one, its a great feeling. I have noticed I get more stingers on thin shots with these than I did with my mizunos. I also hit a couple shots fat which I think is just adjusting to the length of the irons, last ones were standard and these are +0.25 and even stock are +0.25 longer than my mizzys were so thats a half inch longer total. Overall I have hit them pretty decent for them being brand new and like with any new iron I need to get adjusted to it before it all comes together. Very pleased so far though, they fit my eye perfectly, just a beautiful iron.

i was hitting a lot of fat shots at first. thats one of my normal screw ups though but i got that mostly worked out now.

Hey guys I just took my R11's and measured them, not sure exactly where TM measures them from or how they do it but I just took a tape measure and measured from the ground to the end of the grip running it along the shaft and the end of the tape measure along the hosel, I came up with some very interesting measurments to say the least. Here is what I came up with. Im sure they probably measure them without the grips on so that might be where the extra length is coming from. I ordered them 0.25" longer than stock but to be honest I dont mind the little extra length that they are, feel very comfortable in my hands and to my eye they fit perfect. Just thought it was interesting and worth sharing. Sad thing is even with them longer than stock and me being fit to that length I am still hitting them off the toe some, def a swing issue.

6 iron-38.00- 3/4 inch longer than stock
7 iron-37.75- 1 inch longer than stock
8 iron-37.25- 1 inch longer than stock
9 iron-36.25- 1/2inch longer than stock
PW-36.00- 1/2 inch longer than stock

i was hitting a lot of fat shots at first. thats one of my normal screw ups though but i got that mostly worked out now.

Im sure its just me getting adjusted to them, these are longer than my last irons by a good bit but I needed them that way, stock length is way to short for me and I finally got fit to that length I ordered.

I still catch a few fat too. It's one of the shots that I just do once or twice a round.

Gotta' agree with both Buck and OEM, I found I was really fat at first, as of my round today (1) fat shot, (1) thin all day long. I scored worse than I've scored in months and lost to my golfin' buddy by 1 stroke, my R11 play was better than it ever has been; but everything and I mean everything bad happened on the green.

Write up to follow.

Last edited:
Back