Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

Kind of a bummer of a week and it looks like I can't get out with the V2's until Saturday. The good news is that will be for 36 holes, range time, and hopefully I can get these in some other THP'rs hands for a few swings.

Kind of a bummer of a week and it looks like I can't get out with the V2's until Saturday. The good news is that will be for 36 holes, range time, and hopefully I can get these in some other THP'rs hands for a few swings.

Would really like to hear their feedback Hawk, will be interesting to see what their first impressions are!

Just went back to look at all of the iniital pictures and videos again. I can't stay away from these things... They are just that beautiful. Easily the best looking club I've ever seen. Good job thus far with the reviews you three, keep it up!

Just went back to look at all of the iniital pictures and videos again. I can't stay away from these things... They are just that beautiful. Easily the best looking club I've ever seen. Good job thus far with the reviews you three, keep it up!

Thanks, it's appreciated. I am taking these with me for the weekend, playing up in Alabama tomorrow, interested to see how I hit them from a different type of course/grass than what I have gotten used to down here in Florida.

I should be able to get some time on the course tomorrow. Any requests on aspects of the irons people would like some more info on?

Enjoy your round Howzat.

Sent via Tapatalk

This is the longest I've gone not hitting a golf club since this review process started. It will end up being a 6 day break and I don't like it. Hoping that rust isn't an issue since I felt like I was really getting into a groove with the V2's.

This is the longest I've gone not hitting a golf club since this review process started. It will end up being a 6 day break and I don't like it. Hoping that rust isn't an issue since I felt like I was really getting into a groove with the V2's.

It might be a blessing Hawk! Sometimes its good to just let it soak in.

that's kind of how things have been for me lately too. Haven't been able to get out as much as I want to. It stinks

Shot a 42/45, 87 today in a course up in Alabama. I had forgotten what it was like to play in courses not in Florida. Uphill, downhill, gauging distances both ways really put me to the test with the V2s.

Got a longer update I will put up when I get more than a few minutes, but was very happy with my distances and how I judged my distances with the V2s today, which has been one of my biggest challenges with them.

Shot of the day came with an 8 iron that I hit perfect on a 157 par 3. Only birdie on the day for me. Slow groups in front of us killed me on the back 9.

Here's my par 3 shot;
aefca51d-d701-e4a6.jpg
aefca51d-d714-f1bc.jpg

Great shot on the par 3 war.eagle - looking forward to the full write up!

Tappin' from my iPad!

I'll have some full updates on these tomorrow. Didn't hit these great yesterday, but had my good moments. Should have some thoughts on wind play and the forgiveness factor. Need to process it all.

I played 18 on Friday but the wind was brutal. Tough to judge the distances and I didn't hit the long irons very well. Weather was a huge factor and tough to give feedback after a round like that. I will try to get some video using the PW around the green next time out as this seems to save me a stroke or two each round. Things are going great for me with the 8-PW but maybe a combo set with some more forgiving long irons would work better for my game at this point.

10/14/11 - Grand National - Links Course (Auburn, AL)
72*, Slight breeze.

Had the opportunity to take the V2s on my trip this weekend to play at a course up in Alabama. I was really excited to play these on a new course, as I wanted to see how I played these without knowing every aspect of the course, as well as dealing with elevation throughout the course.

A big struggle of mine with the V2s has been judging my distances throughout the set, as well as controlling the distance. I figured that bringing elevation changes in to play would be quite the test for myself with the V2s.

I shot a 42/45, 87. I had 14 bogeys, 1 double, and 1 birdie. Some of the slowest groups I have ever seen in my life finally slowed us up when we got to the 13th hole, after that it was down hill.

Starting out the round with the V2s, I was really struggling with my club selection. I would pick what I thought would be the perfect club for my shot, and then come up well short of my target area or completely fly it past it. As the round progressed, I started taking the elevation more in to play, and began to get much more consistent with my ball striking. One thing that I noticed was that my ball striking with the V2s has gotten much, much more consistent, and with that I am starting to be able to dial in my distances with each club. I am noticing that I am not hitting as many “fat” shots with the V2s as I had been in the past (thanks for the tip on aiming slightly in front of the ball Hawk!), and with the fat shots being fewer, I feel I can judge my distances better as I can hit each club the distance I am looking for more frequently.

I love the 7-PW in this set, and as I go through the longer irons my struggles go up. I feel very comfortable and confident when using the shorter irons, and feel that my shots with these vs the longer irons have a much better success rate. The lack of forgiveness really comes in to play with the long irons, and I find that lately when trying to hit a longer iron from the turf, I have been struggling. Most of my misses now come with the longer irons, and those are mostly hitting them fat (possibly getting to steep by trying to swing harder?).

It was a fun challenge with the V2s, I had some good shots, I had some really bad shots, but feel that I fared well with them, especially playing a course that is nothing like what I am used to down here in Florida (I had forgotten what hills look like).

I didnt get to take any video, but did snap a few pictures, and wanted to highlight a few shots that stood out to me;

Spoiler
First is my shot of the day, 157 yard Par 3. Flag was on the right back of the green, which was surrounded by bunkers.. I knew where the pin placement was and was confident in my 8 iron to get me there. Hit a great shot, and made the putt for my only birdie of the day.
View from the tee;
photo11-4.jpg

Results;
photo22.jpg

Spoiler

This is a long par 5, and a shot from my where I was hitting my 2nd shot from. I was about 259 to the green, I decided to hit a 7iron and to avoid the bunkers and leave me with right around 100 yards in to the green. It was a safe play, and being comfortable with the shorter irons, I knew that going 7iron for my second shot, then PW in to the green with my third shot would give me a good opportunity to Par the hole.
photo41-1.jpg

Spoiler

This is a Par 4, with a dogleg left surrounded by water. It was 200 to the turn, and the fairway ran out around 230 yards. My target area was the 150 yard marker to the right of the dogleg turn, distance to it was 215. Having good results the past week or so with the 4iron from the tee, I choose to tee up the 4 iron. Hit it dead on the path I wanted, and right at my target area, measuring out to 212 yards. Felt it was a safe shot, and gave me a good comfortable distance for my second shot.
photo1-3.jpg

Spoiler

This is a shorter par 4, playing at 326 yards, uphill. I hit 3 Hybrid off the tee, and was left with about 120 to the pin. This is where I struggled with gauging my distances with elevation changes. Normally I would feel comfortable with my PW here, but decided to club up and go with the 9iron. I hit it great, and unfortunately flew the back right of the green. The picture is looking back from where my shot landed down the fairway.
photo2-4.jpg

I had a fun day out with the V2s, felt that I was able to pull off some great shots with them, but still struggle at times with finding my distances on a consistent basis. The more time I spend working with these, the better I feel that I hit them. Focusing on reducing my "fat shot" misses is something I continue to work on, as that miss absolutely kills me. Getting a good club face on the ball is a must with these, you wont get much forgiveness on a mis-hit. Like I said earlier in this post, I have adjusted well to the short irons, but feel that some more range time with the long irons (primarily hitting off the turf) is needed for me to establish a higher comfort level with them.

I played 18 on Friday but the wind was brutal. Tough to judge the distances and I didn't hit the long irons very well. Weather was a huge factor and tough to give feedback after a round like that. I will try to get some video using the PW around the green next time out as this seems to save me a stroke or two each round. Things are going great for me with the 8-PW but maybe a combo set with some more forgiving long irons would work better for my game at this point.

Did you feel the same way about the Mizunos you were playing before this?

10/14/11 - Grand National - Links Course (Auburn, AL)
72*, Slight breeze.

Had the opportunity to take the V2s on my trip this weekend to play at a course up in Alabama. I was really excited to play these on a new course, as I wanted to see how I played these without knowing every aspect of the course, as well as dealing with elevation throughout the course.

A big struggle of mine with the V2s has been judging my distances throughout the set, as well as controlling the distance. I figured that bringing elevation changes in to play would be quite the test for myself with the V2s.

I shot a 42/45, 87. I had 14 bogeys, 1 double, and 1 birdie. Some of the slowest groups I have ever seen in my life finally slowed us up when we got to the 13th hole, after that it was down hill.

Starting out the round with the V2s, I was really struggling with my club selection. I would pick what I thought would be the perfect club for my shot, and then come up well short of my target area or completely fly it past it. As the round progressed, I started taking the elevation more in to play, and began to get much more consistent with my ball striking. One thing that I noticed was that my ball striking with the V2s has gotten much, much more consistent, and with that I am starting to be able to dial in my distances with each club. I am noticing that I am not hitting as many “fat” shots with the V2s as I had been in the past (thanks for the tip on aiming slightly in front of the ball Hawk!), and with the fat shots being fewer, I feel I can judge my distances better as I can hit each club the distance I am looking for more frequently.

I love the 7-PW in this set, and as I go through the longer irons my struggles go up. I feel very comfortable and confident when using the shorter irons, and feel that my shots with these vs the longer irons have a much better success rate. The lack of forgiveness really comes in to play with the long irons, and I find that lately when trying to hit a longer iron from the turf, I have been struggling. Most of my misses now come with the longer irons, and those are mostly hitting them fat (possibly getting to steep by trying to swing harder?).

It was a fun challenge with the V2s, I had some good shots, I had some really bad shots, but feel that I fared well with them, especially playing a course that is nothing like what I am used to down here in Florida (I had forgotten what hills look like).

I didnt get to take any video, but did snap a few pictures, and wanted to highlight a few shots that stood out to me;

Spoiler
First is my shot of the day, 157 yard Par 3. Flag was on the right back of the green, which was surrounded by bunkers.. I knew where the pin placement was and was confident in my 8 iron to get me there. Hit a great shot, and made the putt for my only birdie of the day.
View from the tee;
photo11-4.jpg

Results;
photo22.jpg

Spoiler

This is a long par 5, and a shot from my where I was hitting my 2nd shot from. I was about 259 to the green, I decided to hit a 7iron and to avoid the bunkers and leave me with right around 100 yards in to the green. It was a safe play, and being comfortable with the shorter irons, I knew that going 7iron for my second shot, then PW in to the green with my third shot would give me a good opportunity to Par the hole.
photo41-1.jpg

Spoiler

This is a Par 4, with a dogleg left surrounded by water. It was 200 to the turn, and the fairway ran out around 230 yards. My target area was the 150 yard marker to the right of the dogleg turn, distance to it was 215. Having good results the past week or so with the 4iron from the tee, I choose to tee up the 4 iron. Hit it dead on the path I wanted, and right at my target area, measuring out to 212 yards. Felt it was a safe shot, and gave me a good comfortable distance for my second shot.
photo1-3.jpg

Spoiler

This is a shorter par 4, playing at 326 yards, uphill. I hit 3 Hybrid off the tee, and was left with about 120 to the pin. This is where I struggled with gauging my distances with elevation changes. Normally I would feel comfortable with my PW here, but decided to club up and go with the 9iron. I hit it great, and unfortunately flew the back right of the green. The picture is looking back from where my shot landed down the fairway.
photo2-4.jpg

I had a fun day out with the V2s, felt that I was able to pull off some great shots with them, but still struggle at times with finding my distances on a consistent basis. The more time I spend working with these, the better I feel that I hit them. Focusing on reducing my "fat shot" misses is something I continue to work on, as that miss absolutely kills me. Getting a good club face on the ball is a must with these, you wont get much forgiveness on a mis-hit. Like I said earlier in this post, I have adjusted well to the short irons, but feel that some more range time with the long irons (primarily hitting off the turf) is needed for me to establish a higher comfort level with them.

I had a tough time with the elevation changes this weekend as well, war.eagle. Wasn't just the irons as I hit a choked down GW around 20 yards longer than I expected. It's really different when you are used to flatness.

You mentioned hitting the longer irons fat off of the turf. It sounds like they are working ok off the tee for you, though? I tend to have the same issue at times, though my big miss with them this weekend was the topper off the tee.

I have been hitting the long irons off the tee quite well, specifically the 4 iron. I tee it up just a bit above the ground and have very little interaction with the ground.

When hitting off the ground, I am not sure if I am just over swinging, but I am really struggling with the long irons. I know I am getting a bit steep, and just cut down into the ground and hit it fat. Also, I've had my share of toppers off the tee, but I know that's because I'm lifting my head up before contact.

I am just really having a tough time with the long irons, but think some more range time with them can get it going in the right direction.

Testing Date: 10/15/2011
36 holes - 6,500 and 6,200 yards
Conditions: 45-60 degrees and windy - aside from the last 4 or 5 holes.

I'm still trying to gather some thoughts on the V2's from these two rounds of golf. Truthfully, I wasn't really thrilled with my scores from the weekend. I hit a lot of bad tee shots that cost me penalty strokes and choked on easy approach shots. It seemed like most of my misses were big misses (toppers or big fatties) rather than the slight misses that can bring forgiveness into the equation. I did have a few that I will talk about though.

I still feel like putting a longer iron in my hand ends up better than a scoring iron. I 100% believe that's a mental thing as I'm just hitting horrible shots in those situations. I do the same thing with the 50° wedge too. I need to get that taken care of.

Fairway Bunkers

I was in a fairway bunker four times this weekend, two of which ended up very good and two that didn't. Ironically, the two times that I struggled were not the typical miss you'd expect. I thinned them both. One got stuck under the rake and the other one bounced off the lip and still made it out. Just not as far as I would have liked.

I used the 7 iron both times when I had good results. I was sort of leery of using it since I was concerned I wouldn't hit it high enough to clear the lip, but each time the ball flew out very high and I got what I would consider normal distance from the shot. Each time the shot gave me a good approach shot (they were both par 5's) that I made.

This is a shot that doesn't really bother me and I'm happy with how the V2's work for it.

Club Selection

This was a topic that I was discussing with Duey the other night and thought it was sort of relevant to the whole forgiveness thing. I've had to be very careful with club selection with the V2's since their isn't much forgiveness to fall back on if I miss. Perfect example is right here:

Shot 1 - 120 yards to the pin (uphill with wind behind) - V2 8 iron - I had just hit a beauty of a layup on a longer par 5 out of the sand and was left with what appeared to be a great chance to score. The pin was elevated by a good amount, so I would normally club up - in this case, go from 9 iron to 8 iron. The wind was behind us, which sort of made me wonder if I should stick with the 9 iron. I picked the 8 because I knew if I missed fat I'd be on the green. Probably should have just not thought about it because I did hit it pretty far behind the ball. Ball flight looked nice, but I was short of the pin by a good 10 yards. Truthfully, it was an awful shot, but I still hit the GIR. I'm not going to talk about the horrible putting display that came right after.

Club selection also really came into play with the wind we had. One example was a par 3 over water that was dead into a 20 mph wind. The pin was playing about 165 and it seemed like everything was getting left short.

Shot 2 - 165 yards to the pin (dead into 20mph wind) - V2 3 iron - Normally, I would have taken a 5 iron for this shot, but the wind forced me to club up. Remembering what I learned in my wind practice, I figured a club up for each 10mph of wind. I grabbed the 3 iron and hit what was probably my best shot of the day. The ball started low, but began to balloon into the wind and ended up going quite high. Landed almost pin high for me.

Forgiveness and Distance

This weekend was interesting since I had the chance to hit some SGI irons both on the range and on the course. I didn't really mishit the SGI irons enough to get an idea of how much more forgiving they were, but I'd assume the answer is A LOT. I did, however, get an idea of the difference in distance between the two. I'll talk about that as well as the most forgiving shot from the V2's.

*Comparisons - V2 8 iron vs SGI 8 iron - tee shot on 130 yard par 3

V2 -
I hit the ball with the V2 cleanly, but just about 1/4 inch or so towards the toe (I had a sharpie on the ball that transferred to the club). Ball flight was high and it ended up about 15 feet short of the pin, but on the green. Not a horrible shot, but lost a little distance by missing the sweetspot.

SGI - Normally, I wouldn't have used this club for the particular shot, but I was just playing around. I hit this one clean and the ball was way up in the air. It landed a good 10 yards long of the pin. On well struck shots, I'd say these are about 10 yards longer, but due to a slight miss when hitting the V2's, they ended up being a little longer than that.

The difference in distance was not a surprise to me by any means. Same with the fact that I lost some yards by missing the sweetspot of the V2's. That's the reality of playing a set of irons like these. I don't think W/S was really designing them for guys like me. They are an iron that can give a touch of forgiveness to better ball strikers when they miss slightly. For me, that's where club selection comes in, especially if there is trouble I have to avoid. In this example, losing 5 yards wasn't a big deal, but there wasn't any big trouble to deal with when missing short. I will say that I don't mind clubbing up any more. It's something that I'm comfortable with.

*The V2's most forgiving miss

I don't think that this is just relevant to the V2's, but you can miss thin with these and still see decent results. Your ball flight will suffer (lower), but the distance loss isn't really as punishing (if you lose any at all). The only negative is that you'll likely have a hard time controlling the distance since the lower trajectory will cause more run out. I did put a 3 iron to 10 feet on a thin shot this weekend, though I'll admit it was luck that I was that close. It did hold it's line very well, but I'd still rather hit the ball clean.

good stuff Hawk.

On the Fairway Bunker shots. I know you said they don't bother you. Which type of club/sole do you prefer for this shot? These are thinner and sharper than the Redlines that you previously played. Which one fits your game more out of the FW Bunker, or does it not matter all that much?

Nice 3 iron shot BTW. Gotta love when a miss turns out so good

Honestly, the sole doesn't seem to matter to me. I hit the Redlines out of the fairway bunkers fine as well.

Honestly, the sole doesn't seem to matter to me. I hit the Redlines out of the fairway bunkers fine as well.

I guess I should say, do you find the V2's to dig more in the sand? Do you need to be more conscious of hitting a fat shot in that situation with these?

I haven't experienced that at all, but don't take that as meaning it wouldn't happen. It just hasn't happened yet for me. I really, really focus on hitting ball first in the sand. Almost to the point that I'm looking at a grain of sand 4-6 inches ahead of the ball. That's probably why I thinned a couple.

I guess I should say, do you find the V2's to dig more in the sand? Do you need to be more conscious of hitting a fat shot in that situation with these?

Wanted to throw in my .02 ddec. I havent had the V2s dig into the sane too bad, but have found that they do cut through fairway bunkers pretty easily. Like Hawk said, I focus on hitting the ball first, and when struck well it feels as if the leading edge of the V2 just slides effortlessly through the sand.

I have had good results out of fairway bunkers and thick rough with the V2s, seems as they just get through it easier.

I thought I'd take a few moments to do a 1 month summary on the V2's. Let's start with some likes and dislikes related to my preferences and abilities.

*Ball Flight - This was something that I struggled a little with at first since I wasn't hitting the ball very good. As I have begun to hit the V2's better, the ball flight has really become something I love. I can get all of the irons up in the air with a soft landing, though it's easier for me to hit the longer irons (3 and 4) high off the tee. I also like that I can keep these very low if I need to, which was something I struggled with when playing my previous set.

*Looks - Obviously, these are gorgeous irons. Maybe one of the best looking iron sets I've ever seen. This goes beyond the cavity as I love the look at address too. The thin appearance of the top line is something that I really like to look at. At first it was intimidating, but I actually feel confident standing over the ball.

*Longer Irons (3 & 4) - Before this testing process, I was basically scared of long irons. In fact, I didn't carry anything lower than a 6 iron. A little practice has made me comfortable hitting them for the first time and I really like the accuracy I see with them, especially off the tee. It has opened a new dimension to my game that I like.

*Mid irons (5 through 8) - If you asked me my favorite out of the entire set I'd pick one of these. I hit them more than any others and am usually pretty confident with them in my hand. I really like the 5 and 6 for layup shots on par 5's as I feel like they give me enough accuracy to have a good approach shot.

Dislikes

*Forgiveness - For me, a more forgiving iron would be helpful at times. I don't hit the center of the face an overwhelming majority of the time and there are occasions when that could be an issue. If you are a better ball striker, I think the small amount of forgiveness would be helpful. There is perimeter weighting to help with very small misses more than a blade iron would, but I usually miss worse than that.

*Short Irons (9 & PW) - There is nothing wrong with them aside from they need a better guy to swing them. I don't hit these nearly as well as I want to and it seems that I miss fat with them more than the other clubs. I completely blame myself for this because they should be the clubs I score with.

*Thin shots on the hands - Bladed shots make my right ring finger go numb most of the time.

A Mix

*Distance - I said before that I'd like to hit every club further and that hasn't changed. I've lost about 10 yards when compared to the same club number from the Redline set. I am hitting the corresponding club just as well, so it hasn't really bothered me a ton at this point. Taking forgiveness out of the equation, I hit the V2 6 iron as confidently as I hit the Redline 7 iron and so forth. I don't have any gapping problems, but in the end I'd like to hit these, and every other club in my bag, a good 10-20 yards further.

*Scores - My scores have been relatively stable since starting this testing, with one round being one of my best of the season. I've had two rounds that were a couple strokes higher than I liked, but nothing out of the ordinary. In the end, it seems that nothing has changed in that I score better when I'm better off the tee. However, I really feel that I could see those scores drop if I take advantage of the opportunities I'm given with the scoring irons. I'd like to see my scores drop.

Nice recap hawk! It sounds like these would be a great fit for a strong player, as they do offer some forgiveness in a blade like package.

Nice recap hawk! It sounds like these would be a great fit for a strong player, as they do offer some forgiveness in a blade like package.

I think that's a good way to put it. I think those folks that really want a smaller club, but need a small amount of forgiveness, would really find these a good match.

Back