When Graphite Iron Shafts?

Idrops

Reaction score
How do you know if one should use a graphite iron shaft?

I never hit a graphite iron until this past week at GS I tried the RBZ and Cleveland just for kicks and although I wasn't on the monitor, it sure did have less vibration and the contact seemed good.

I know there used to be a notion that graphite is for slower swing speeds. True or false?
What factors go into the decision to switch from steel to graphite?

I never hit a graphite iron until this past week at GS I tried the RBZ and Cleveland just for kicks and although I wasn't on the monitor, it sure did have less vibration and the contact seemed good.

I know there used to be a notion that graphite is for slower swing speeds. True or false?

Graphite shafts for irons have really come a long way in the past few years. The notion that they are for slower swing speeds is just an antiquated way of thinking. The factors to switch for me involve health. If you have any issues such as joint pain, back issues, shoulder problems.... switching to graphite could be a miracle drug. I know for me, when I play graphite shafts my fingers don't swell like they do when I use steel shafts. I also hit a lot of balls during the week.

I was at a Mizuno fitting 2 weeks back and asked about graphite shafts as well, and after measuring me on their shaft fitter iron, they said that I really shouldn't be considering a "light" shaft nor a graphite one as I should consider going the other way to a X steel shaft instead.

I would suggest you find a Mizuno fitter and find some of your swing characteristic numbers to see where you land but based off that, I would think swing speed / shaft loading / swing tempo etc all play a pretty good factor on this.

Edit: I do agree with what Chunky says tho. In terms of the impact on the body itself, the graphite shafts do feel better albeit the impact from the steel shafts don't bother me yet. Hopefully it doesn't start getting to me over the next few years. :( As with all things, how your body feels always takes precidence IMO.

It's too bad you don't have an oppurtunity coming up to hit all the steel and graphite shafts you want. That could be really helpful. lol

I'm sure JB and the other knowledgeable folks at demo day will give you some good advice tomorrow.

It's too bad you don't have an oppurtunity coming up to hit all the steel and graphite shafts you want. That could be really helpful. lol

I'm sure JB and the other knowledgeable folks at demo day will give you some good advice tomorrow.

I thought all the shafts they had were for drivers. Maybe they will have some graphite irons on display.

False. As someone already stated, that might have been true 10-15+ years ago. Matt Kuchar plays graphite shafts... is he old or have a slow swing speed? If anything, it'll be beneficial by giving you more distance.

The problem is how expensive they are. The steel fiber shafts or Aldila proto iron shaft are like $100 each. Yowza.

This thread helps explain why my left hand and wrist have not been the same since I tried the steel shaft (stiff flex) in my second iron set. I hit a lot of balls on the range and notice signs I didn't experience with the graphite (also stiff flex). I think I'll switch back to graphite.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Then why is not everyone playing graphite? Is there are control or distance issue? Should one be playing the softest shaft you can control?

Then why is not everyone playing graphite? Is there are control or distance issue? Should one be playing the softest shaft you can control?

Lots of reasons. The cost can be quite a bit higher. Stock graphite shafts play soft to flex compared to steel. There are misnomers that graphite is for "weaker" swings. And so much more. It all comes down to fitting.

First and foremost it would have to be weight. Performance graphite iron shafts are still premature but they are getting there.

Second would probably be cost. You see how much random graphite iron sets go for? Get a performance graphite shaft in there and you're probably talking $1200-$1500 MSRP.

First and foremost it would have to be weight. Performance graphite iron shafts are still premature but they are getting there.

Second would probably be cost. You see how much random graphite iron sets go for? Get a performance graphite shaft in there and you're probably talking $1200-$1500 MSRP.

Performance graphite shafts are here. Programs, IS900's and Steel Fibres are all fantastic.

Cost isn't quite that high but it's not cheap either. A full set of Programs or IS900's which are the most expensive of the bunch are $700 for 8 shafts and it shouldn't be more then a $200 or so for a very good tech to do the install.

Performance graphite shafts are here. Programs, IS900's and Steel Fibres are all fantastic.

Cost isn't quite that high but it's not cheap either. A full set of Programs or IS900's which are the most expensive of the bunch are $700 for 8 shafts and it shouldn't be more then a $200 or so for a very good tech to do the install.
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration on the pricing. You would have to think that if KBS on some sets is a $15-$20 per iron upcharge I would guess a manufacturer that offers this option would be about $75 per iron. Definitely not cheap by any means.

The market will eventually change towards graphite I'm sure. Just like when more Pro's went from steel shafted drivers to graphite.

And believe me, I want to put these in my irons myself. I just can't warrant the cost yet, and my wife would kill me.

I was so jealous of you with the Programs. I want a set of those badly

I've got graphite shafts in the irons and love the feel of them. I got mine when I was at the range every other night and was starting to worry about injury from hitting so many balls. Now graphite is my preference and they get better every year. I don't think I'd swap an existing set but new sets have the graphite option in all the flexes.

Stock graphite shafts play soft to flex compared to steel.

Think this is more a myth than anything.
Much like driver shafts, all manufacturers have their own specifications for measuring flex.
Bet you can find some that will play stiff than its equivalent in steel (assuming they are both the same length).

This thread helps explain why my left hand and wrist have not been the same since I tried the steel shaft (stiff flex) in my second iron set. I hit a lot of balls on the range and notice signs I didn't experience with the graphite (also stiff flex). I think I'll switch back to graphite.

I changed from steel rifle shafts to graphite for the same reason.

I play the R11 irons with the stock Fujikura stiff shafts with a swing speed of 89mph for my 7 iron (average 165 yards carry).

Quality graphite iron shafts are great for sore joints and accuracy, but that accuracy comes with very high ball flights. I find myself swinging differently when there's a head wind because I know it's going to come up short. Of course I'm not good enough to hit it low so I end up with even more backspin. I keep swapping irons between the S300's and Ozik's and can't make up my mind :at-wits-end:

I play the R11 irons with the stock Fujikura stiff shafts with a swing speed of 89mph for my 7 iron (average 165 yards carry).

Sidetrack: how do you like the R11 with graphite? I'm zeroing in on this set.

Best time to go to graphite is when it works better for you compared to what you have now regardless of injury

I was so jealous of you with the Programs. I want a set of those badly

They were and are sessy. I miss those Nike's man but there was no way I was turning down that offer.

I was once again fit optimally for the Programs in my Miura's but there was no way I was adding another $600 to $700 on a silly expensive set of irons. I'll probably get another set some day, just not yet. The 130's will be the order of the day though over the 95's.

Since you seem to fit PX better, I'd think those would work out better for you in graphite option, other then perhaps the weight. The Program's are very DG like.
Alternatively CL I think we need to get you to demo the Steel Fibres. I think you'd like them quite a bit and the 110's are probably smack in your wheel house

Sidetrack: how do you like the R11 with graphite? I'm zeroing in on this set.

Liking them so far. Finding it a tad longer than the R9s with stock graphite shafts (although the R11 is a club stronger) in loft). Downside is that they don't seem to be as forgiving as the R9s but it makes up in being slightly more workable (nothing compared to the MCs or MBs though).

Downside is that they don't seem to be as forgiving as the R9s but it makes up in being slightly more workable (nothing compared to the MCs or MBs though).

Hmm, I guess I should have a fitting to figure out what will work for me. Thanks for the input.

A couple of months ago I tried a friends Mizzies with graphite shafts on the range. I immediately saw a higher ball flight (which I could use) and an increase in carry.

I am not prepared to buy a complete set of irons so my question is:

"Can appropriately fitted graphite shafts be installed in ANY iron heads?"

I have some 5 year old Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons and would consider having the 5 - PW re-shafted if this this can be done.

Good question JTM. I would think so unless the hosel size isn't a common one.
Tricky part would be finding if the graphite shaft you want is manufactured in the exact diameter you need.

Back