Help with Ping G20 irons with graphite shafts

earlyman

Reaction score
Maastricht, Netherlands but originally from Glasgo
Handicap
Hi all, this is my first post on THP and I'm hoping somebody can help me out or offer some advice with regards to shafts for a new set of Ping G20 irons.

I've recently recovered from a serious back injury (herniated disc L4-L5) which has unfortunately affected my swing speed slightly and fatigue and pain obviously play a much bigger factor during a round of golf. I'm 33 years old, a 24 handicap and I can't say I know my current swing speed but I'd say my numbers are fairly average. Im 5"7-5"8 and my 7 iron carry is about 145-150 yards on average. I'm very disappointed about my back injury as I only started playing golf in earnest last July after playing a little as a junior and I feel have been progressing well and more importantly enjoying myself. I want to get back playing regularly as soon as possible and without the constant pain. I haven't had the chance to be fitted at a local place as I'm an ex-pat living in the Netherlands, I'm originally from Glasgow in Scotland, and over here in Holland they don't seem to know their a**e from their elbow when it comes to fitting I'm afraid. Using Ping's own online Web-Fit tool I was recommended as having my iron shafts shortened by -0.25 and the lie angle flattened by 0.75 degrees, which is the Ping red dot setting. Seems like a good fit for me as my current irons are Callaway Diable Edge with steel stock shafts that are flattened by 1 or 1.5 degrees I think.

Anyway, I've decided that I'd like lighter graphite shafts in my new irons and was wondering if anyone had any experience recently of graphite iron shafts in the G20s or any other irons? I'm gravitating towards the Project X 5.0 or 5.5 graphite shafts for my new irons and would be delighted to hear about anyone's experience with them or any other graphite iron shafts. As far as I can see from the Project X website they weigh around 91-93g and I feel that would be perfect as far as weight goes while still allowing me enough control. Like I mentioned before, I am open to suggestions about any other graphite iron shafts although the Project X series are the ones that have stood out so far for me.

Thanks for your time reading, much appreciated! I hope some people have some input or experience that can help me out a little.

All the very best,

Mark

Welcome to THP Mark. I replied to your PM but just to reply in this thread as well, I would really hope that you can get fit in person. Graphite shafts are not fit like normal shafts. They need to be a little longer than a steel shaft to keep the swingweight in a normal range. For example if you had a 37" 6I in steel, I believe you would want at least a 37.5" 6I in graphite. If you don't add the length, the swingweight of the graphite shafted irons will be a lot lower.

I do think you are on to something though with regards to moving to graphite. It truly is remarkable the difference it can make on wear and tear to the body. I would not discount Pings graphite options either. I have hit them a few times and always walked away impressed. In fact when I was fit for G15's a few years ago, the fitter highly recommended that I go with the stock Ping graphite(TFC something or other) as my numbers with that shaft were darn near perfect.

Hi again Chunky, and thanks again for all your help so far. So when the Ping web-fit tool suggests I should have my shafts shortened by -0.25 you reckon it'd be best to leave them as standard to balance the swingweight and keep it in the normal range? I suppose I can always shorten at a later date anyway right?

Although the Project X 5.5 graphite iron shaft weighs around 91-93g according to their website which is quite a bit heavier than the Ping stock TFC graphite shaft which comes in at 74g in regular flex and 86g in stiff. Perhaps shortening the PX 5.5 very slightly (only 0.25 of an inch) will have less of an impact due to it's heavier initial weight?

Or, will these Project X graphite iron shafts that I plan to order come already slightly longer than their steel equivalent or counterpart? Help!!

I really don't want to give too many suggestions as I am not a fitter. Heck there are guys on this board who know far more than I do. I just know that every time I've discussed graphite shafts with my fitter, he recommended .75" longer than the steel counterpart to balance out the weight. If it were me, and I couldn't get to a fitter, I would be calling Ping and asking their advice. I don't want to give you advice that is wrong and mess up your expensive new clubs

You've been a great help already Chunky. Just placed my order with the dealer and fitter who will call the order in with Ping today. Went with the Project X 5.5 graphite shafts, as suggested. I did also have the shafts shortened slightly by 0.25 inch as the fitter assured me the length and weight shouldn't be any issue. Ping offer and suggest it themselves even on their own website with the graphite shaft option so it can't be all that bad. It's more to do with making my swing as comfortable as possible along with adjusting the lie angle to make it slightly flatter (red dot). Decided also to take the G20 wedges as I've read so many complimentary things about them on the forum and I'm sure I can mix and match them to complement my Vokey wedges. Looking forward to getting hold of these and giving them a whack! Delivery and build time should be around 2-3 weeks. Plenty of time for my back to recover!

Now... time to look for a few hybrids.... suggestions anyone?!

Thanks again Chunky, much appreciated.

Awesome! You are going to love that combo. There are so many good hybrids out right now. I would definitely check out the Mashies as they are phenomenal. I would also take a look at the Wilson/Staff Fybrid as they are extremely underrated.

If I were you I would try the G20 hybrids, at a 24 you should really think about what is going to help. I have some experience with the rbz and don't like them, I think you would be happy with the g20's. I was playing the r11 irons and rbz fairway and hybrid and just switched to the G20 irons and hybrids and a k15 fairway and am so much happier and i'm playing off a 13 hdcp.

Back