How long to adjust?

Dr.Deuss

Reaction score
Handicap
I got new irons beginning of January, and had also been making some swing changes since November. I'm just now starting to get comfortable with everything and am shooting the scores I was last summer. I feel like it's taken this long just to adjust to the new irons.Now I'm trusting the numbers I can get with a club, instead of different distances everyday. When I bought the clubs, I didn't think it was going to be much of a change. Turns out it was a rather large change.

How long has it taken you to "break in" your new clubs?

When I got my Ci11s a couple months ago, I felt the process was incredibly slow...even when they are to my specs. Only just now have I started to trust my distances and where the ball has to be in my stance in order to strike the ball well. It's always a process when one gets new irons.

Went from a beginners set at Sports Authority (Eclipse?) standard length, to a used set of my current irons. Im 6'4 and the Callaways I bought are +2", that alone I'm still getting used to, been about 3 weeks.

My contact with my new irons is better than it has ever been, maybe 6 9-hole rounds in with them.

Still rough estimates on yardages unfortunately though.

Getting there.

I think everyone adjusts at their own rate. Its really all based on the time/effort that gets put into using the new clubs.

A LONG time. I'm with you. I got new irons in the off season went to the range when it was -20 c every week. Now that the weather is nice even going to the range doesn't help with understanding my distance. I have gained a few yards but when on the course i have a hard time trusting it and give up on the shot and either end up really short or shank it. I find im more interested to see where I hit the ball rather than hit the ball and watch it. Just need to commit and hit. I feel your pain.

5 range sessions and 5 rounds

It took me a long time, I hated hitting my irons and finally almost 6 months later I'm crushing my irons and I feel confident in them. It's one of those things that is inevitable but at the end it's worth it. I guess the day after I bought them I went to the range expecting to hit them solidly with my crappy swing at the time but It took a lot of work not only swing work with the head pro for a month + lot's of painful play at the course to finally get them down but now I'm really confident in my ball flight, distance with each iron and I can attack the green from 200 yards in and can make it closer than before, I think also with my long game improvement I usually end up with a short Iron into the green and usually hit the green or just in the short grass right before.

Back