Driver shaft and settings question

Mr. Satchmo

urielsatchmoortegaMR.Jinx
Reaction score
Handicap
MR. Jinx
Alright, so my driving has improved tremendously since Trevor from Golftec helped me with my weight transfer and I just have one more question. I am borderline regular/stiff on my driver and I like the forgiveness that I get from using a regular shaft. I currently own both shafts and right now, My R11 my settings are 10.5 loft + .75 higher loft-upright lie, neutral asp setting, and draw weight configuration. With this I notice that I get the launch angle (estimation) I want and my carry looks good, I usually get some long drives over 270 and I with these settings I usually get a draw that can turn into a hook if I lose control.

So my question is what of these things should I change, should I open up the face to set it a little more neutral, should I leave the face and change the weights around for fade bias, should I change from the upright lie to standard lie or should I keep everything the same and just switch over to the stiff shaft? The only reason I use the regular shaft is that I feel like I don't have to crush every drive to get some good drives but I feel like this week i have played from the middle to left side of the fairway more than usual. Thank you golftec for your time!

Note: I used to have a constant slice and the occasional pop up shot that was accounted for from improper lateral weight shift and shoulder spin out, but now it's more of a draw to hook

Last edited:
Soooooooo many options with that driver!

If I was doing a fitting with a guy in your situation, here is the order I would switch things up (all with the launch monitor to see numerical results- I'm guessing you don't have that luxury).

1. Stiff Shaft. I like to get someone in the "softest shaft their hardest swing can handle". If you're losing control and starting to hook with a slightly faster swing, it could simply be that your regular shaft is deflecting back too early and closing the face.

2. Weights. If your launch angle is where its supposed to be, as you go tinkering with the hosel configuration, you'll affect the launch and as well as the opening and closing of the face. You can't do one without the other on that driver. So simply switching the weights around will have a negligible effect on the launch, it just changes the squaring of the face.

3. Hosel configuration. Go from upright to Standard Loft. (Rotate the shaft 180 degrees). Know that this may change your launch angle as well. There are obviously other settings you could try, but that would be a place to start.

4. Sole plate. Switch it to Open. This one really doesn't do much besides encourage you to set it up more open. It does nothing for the dynamic part of the swing.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

Wow, thank you for your help Trevor!! I will be switching to the stiff then!

Thank you!

And I should have mentioned- that second step with the weights... We have all the different weights here, so we don't have to have the "all or nothing" approach and just flip them. It might be worth looking into getting different gram weights so you could go truly more neutral instead of just draw or fade bias. For example, I have an 8 gram weight in toe and a 6 gram weight in the heel.

Just a thought,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA

And I should have mentioned- that second step with the weights... We have all the different weights here, so we don't have to have the "all or nothing" approach and just flip them. It might be worth looking into getting different gram weights so you could go truly more neutral instead of just draw or fade bias. For example, I have an 8 gram weight in toe and a 6 gram weight in the heel.

Just a thought,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA

Ah that is worth buying, thanks again!

Back