Backstryke out.... Cleveland black in...

AndrewG

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to shelve the Backstryke DART for a while. Its definitely helped me with the confidence on those 4-8 footers which had become my Achilles heel over the last 6 months. This weekend though, has exposed the problem I have with the Odysseys and the insert - this is the 3rd White Ice putter I've had, and I 've had the same problem with all of them - poor distance control on mid to long length putts.

I don't know if its the insert itself, or my inconsistent striking on long putts, the ball may make some contact with the metal edge, rather than clean off the middle of the insert, but the sound and feel seems to change from putt to putt.

I don't have the problem with my Rife mid mallet without an insert. In fact, my lag putting was the only thing saving my putting game while going through my short putt woes!

So anyway, this morning I pulled the trigger on a new toy, at a very good price I might add, and am combining the plain face with a true centre shaft. The Cleveland Black #5.5...

Have the same issue with mine. Big picture the Backstryke is doing it's job. Example last round was I left a 30 footer at least 10 feet short, but made the 2nd. I've had very few 3 putts this year so it's hard to put it up. Frustrating to not get closer from far away, I know.

I really like mine - but I understand the inconsistency issue. I have a similar problem. Some rounds I will make everything- 27- 30 putts. Other rounds, I can struggle with my lag putting and end up having to make 10-14 footers for par or bogey. It puts some stress on my wedge play at times.

Have the same issue with mine. Big picture the Backstryke is doing it's job. Example last round was I left a 30 footer at least 10 feet short, but made the 2nd. I've had very few 3 putts this year so it's hard to put it up. Frustrating to not get closer from far away, I know.

Yep - I love the feel of lining up, and the 'centre' shafting (even though its at the wrong end :) ) makes it go back and through on rails... I'm hoping to carry that feeling over with a normal CS...

I have the same problem with my white ice putter, I like everything about it but the insert just doesn't seem to fit for me.

I think it may be just part of the issue of using a high MOI mallet

I have had similar issues with my TM IB spider, I can nail any short putt better than with any other putter I've ever used, but on longer putts the distance control I have with it is terrible. I gave up as well, the increase in precision on shorter putts didn't make up for the lack of distance control on longer ones

I have an odyssey tour-i #9, which is a softer insert than the white ice and I have no distance control issues at all with that putter, distance control is great, but that putter and my eye are not friends... I just can't aim that putter correctly to save my life.

Random Q but how does the white ice insert compare to the white hot insert.

Jeez, get a Metal X. I find the insert in it to be incredible. I spent a lot of time with long lag putts today and was liking what I saw.

Jeez, get a Metal X. I find the insert in it to be incredible. I spent a lot of time with long lag putts today and was liking what I saw.

Not a bad option TC. The more I hit that one the more it grows on me.

I just picked up the 5.5 as well...it should get here tomorrow!! I also ordered a superstroke slim for it, so hopefully i can figure out to install it. The center shaft on the 5.5 should fit me better with my SBST putting style (at least im hoping) and if I really like this style then i may be forced to buy the bettinardi BB35 :) I'm so excited...finally may be putting the original rossie II to bed.

I'm gaming the D.A.R.T Mallet with the Metal X insert in it, and I too struggled with distance a bit at first. Spent a lot of time on the practice green over the period of 3 weeks, and finally got it lined out I think. Never had an issue with the line, I always seemed to put it on the exact line I aimed, just struggled with distance at times. I experimented with all of the weights in the head and ended up settling on the middle for now (I think it's 260g?). Really digging this putter.

Back