Early Season form

woldin57

Reaction score
Handicap
This year I am having an incredibly tough time getting my swing going. Consistency is not something I have been able to get to yet. My main problem is with my low irons (4-6). My swing feels smooth but I am getting a low quick slice, which I have tried to solve a few ways. One, I have tried to move my hands further away from my body a little bit to try and help with my ball striking, which helps but is still not the consistency I want. I find myself trying to force the ball over to the left and this has resulted in a slight hook in the rest of my game. Maybe I just havent worked the winter months off yet, but I'm just curious if you can think of any exercises or techniques I can give a try. Thanks.

Something stands out in your description that might be worth looking at. In trying to move your hands away from your body, you might be changing your arm plane but still keeping a "steep" shoulder plane if you haven't accommodated properly for the longer clubs.

Think of it this way instead: from a down the line view, the hands will definitely appear to be farther from the body as compared to a shorter iron. But realistically, the arms themselves should maintain a constant angle relative to the spine angle, we just stand up taller (from the waist) as the club gets longer.

Imagine a constant gap from your elbows to your ribs when you switch between clubs. Could you fit a grapefruit in there? Maybe a cantaloupe? Whatever fruit (or veggie- I don't discriminate) is comfortable with your short irons should remain constant through the set. Simply the length of the club and the angle of your spine (posture) changes as you move through your set.

Hope that helps (and makes sense),

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

Thank you for the tip. I'll have to hit the range and try to stay consistent through my set.

Back