Buying new clubs is as bad as buying a new car

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Worthless apparently after you walk out the store or drive off the lot.

Last year August, I just purchased a new Driver (Cleveland 290) and the matching 3 wood (FL15). Paid $500 for the pair. Well of course I went demoing and now have the itch for some new toys.

Golfsmith told me $70 for my driver and $40 for my 3 wood is all they were worth!!!

Seriously? They are less than 1 year old and I can barely get 1/5 of the price for them in almost new condition!? I find this ridiculous. Irons I can understand as you use them much more frequently and for most of us we hang on to them awhile. (my current set is 10 yrs old) but man this really ticked me off.

You are way better off selling them than trading them in. With GS if you want to trade something in, you cant even get store credit. You have to spend the money that day. Its a ridiculous way of doing business. If you go on their website, the price they offer is always Good condition price regardless of how good the condition is.

Last edited:
Planned obsolescence on the part of all golf manufacturers - especially with drivers. I think all of us have experienced this at some point, and it does hurt.

However, it certainly provides some great deals for golfers buying year-old equipment.

$70? Wow. I was anticipating $50.

Trade in values are low. The retailer is not in it to give you back what you originally payed, but to make money. So they offer you a low amount then sell it for much more than that. Throw the club on Craigslist, eBay, or the BST forum.

The problem is that they go by what the clubs are selling for on Ebay. I have a R11 hybrid that I bought 2 months ago for almost $200 which now has a trade in value of around $45.

Many of those shops wholesale to the larger internet used-club dealers or do it themselves. It's a racket that you either learn to navigate around or deal with.

Best advice is either to 1) buy only clubs that have good resale value (if that's important to you) 2) Keep them longer to get more out of them 3) sell them the same season you bought them.

Also check the PGA value guide under equipment on the PGA.com website. The stores offer trade in value which is usually significant lower than resale value. As someone mentioned above the work around is to not trade in to the store which essentially limits the middle man. You can use the resale guide to see what the resale value is of your clubs and then list them on THP, eBay or something similar and then put the money earned towards your new purchase. Hopefully this helps.

Last year August, I just purchased a new Driver (Cleveland 290) and the matching 3 wood (FL15). Paid $500 for the pair. Well of course I went demoing and now have the itch for some new toys.

Golfsmith told me $70 for my driver and $40 for my 3 wood is all they were worth!!!

Seriously? They are less than 1 year old and I can barely get 1/5 of the price for them in almost new condition!? I find this ridiculous. Irons I can understand as you use them much more frequently and for most of us we hang on to them awhile. (my current set is 10 yrs old) but man this really ticked me off.

Ok, so if these new toys add to your length, I'm really going to make you play from the tips next time.

I agree but I guess my attitude I just don't think it's important to buy a new driver every year. I understand why people do it, but there is a steep price to doing so.

Cars and golf clubs are something I try to buy used when I can. My wife calls me a cheap a**, I like to say I'm frugal.

I agree but I guess my attitude I just don't think it's important to buy a new driver every year. I understand why people do it, but there is a steep price to doing so.

Agree and to be honest that is why I don't buy a new driver every year. I do not see enough improvement in the driver to justify the upgrade each year which is why I am still hitting an R9 that has at least 3 models released after the one I am currently gaming.

This is one of the reason's why THP rocks, you can always get some value either in cash or trade via selling them on the marketplace. Plus it's a great way to swap out clubs without buying brand new.

Ive never bought a brand new golf club in my entire life, for this exact reason.

If you buy it used, it looks the same way when you go to sell it so you can probably recoup most of your losses.

There are much better options than trading in a barely used golf club.. Offer a THPer a great club for a reasonable price man!!

I usually take the "late season" route with most of my purchases, personally.. There is rarely a club that blows me away enough to drop 4-500 on it.

Tapatalking from my iPhone

I would think buying new clubs is even worst than buying a new car.

I kind of wish we had a trade in place around me, I have so many clubs to get rid of but don't want to deal with shipping or even craigslit.
The only new clubs I've bought have always been closeouts so, like cars, they've already lost most of their value. (The only new new club I bought was my putter)

Just reminded myself that there is always The First Tee to donate too, might help more in the tax right off (need to call them)

Yeah I would just sell them to the nice people on the marketplace here

Just curious, but how much of an advantage are you going to get with the new clubs? Just don't think I quite understand how you could gain such a huge advantage over the course of less than a year.

If you want to get what your clubs are worth, you have to sell them yourselves. Stores like Golfsmith are in the business of making a profit, and when you factor in overhead and the length of time your driver could sit on their shelves, it doesn't give them a lot of room to give you a "fair" amount. I realize it might seem shady to you or a rip off, but it really is just smart business practice on their part.

I've never understood the point of buying new clubs (unless you have money to burn). Except for wedges...their is almost no difference between used and used in terms of playability. In terms of value why pay $500 for something that you can get in almost perfect shape for half of that?

If you want to get what your clubs are worth, you have to sell them yourselves. Stores like Golfsmith are in the business of making a profit, and when you factor in overhead and the length of time your driver could sit on their shelves, it doesn't give them a lot of room to give you a "fair" amount. I realize it might seem shady to you or a rip off, but it really is just smart business practice on their part.

Ditto. Why would you expect them to buy it back at all????

Never found any value in trading golf equipment to be honest. Much better to sell unwanted equipment on the bay and then purchase new stuff with the proceeds.

Go to a golf shop and by from a local Pro those guys will take care of you, and treat you good when it comes to trading in your clubs. If you buy from them they will take it in and sell it to another guy and give you a good deal on your next purchase.

I've never understood the point of buying new clubs (unless you have money to burn). Except for wedges...their is almost no difference between used and used in terms of playability. In terms of value why pay $500 for something that you can get in almost perfect shape for half of that?
I buy new because it's easier to get fitted that way (shaft model and flex, lie, swing weight, etc).

Selling clubs is tricky, I think it is best to get them on the market before the manf drops the line. Once they drop them and start advertising the new stuff that is where the $ value goes. A golfer can cycle through new gear but has to sell it pretty quick or take the bite you speak of.

I buy new because it's easier to get fitted that way (shaft model and flex, lie, swing weight, etc).

Not necessarily. A lot of times eBay stores/sellers will have most of the specs done for you.

As for drivers, shafts and heads can be found interchangeably.

Back