Forgiveness or fitted?

Jericho

Albatross
Reaction score
Handicap
Out of curiosity, do you all hold club forgiveness or custom fit in higher regard?

Which route would you take assuming the price is the same: 1) More forgiving iron set but not fit to you (OTS), or 2) Slightly less forgiving but fitted for you.

Which scenario do you pick and why?

I suppose I don't understand the question. Why would these be mutually exclusive?

Used to think more forgiving, but you can't beat fitted. Best of both worlds? A fitted very forgiving set.

Why can't you get both? If it is because of the place you are buying, I would go somewhere else.

I think the question is purely hypothetical.

If you had to pick one or the other, I would go with the fitting.

Look at the opposite extreme. Most forgiving set but is jacked up 5* loft with a 3" extension, or blades that are fitted perfectly for you? At least with the blades, you would be able to hit them sometimes...

Based on the choices I'd go with #2....But one has nothing to do with the other. You can be fit into either set. You don't have to choose between the two. Is there another question you are looking for help with?
Out of curiosity, do you all hold club forgiveness or custom fit in higher regard?

Which route would you take assuming the price is the same: 1) More forgiving iron set but not fit to you (OTS), or 2) Slightly less forgiving but fitted for you.

I think the question is purely hypothetical.

If you had to pick one or the other, I would go with the fitting.

Look at the opposite extreme. Most forgiving set but is jacked up 5* loft with a 3" extension, or blades that are fitted perfectly for you? At least with the blades, you would be able to hit them sometimes...
I agree. I think people are reading more into this than there really is.

I'd pick "fitted" because after spending the time to improve my game by seeing just what is the "exact" fit for me, I'd be spending the time at the range to make sure I was hitting them with the proper swing path--wearing out the center of the club in the process. I just recently changed from a set of irons I could hit really well, to a set that will advance my game without a doubt. With the new expense incurred, I will be focused to learn to hit them as well, I won't be worried about forgiveness quite so much.

I'm considering the Ci9s or the Di11s. The Ds are more forgiving but more expensive. I could get the Ci9s fitted for the same price as an unfit set if Di11s.

Make sense?

If you buy them at a store, like a box store, the fitting with the clubs will be free. Just haggle them down on the price. The markup on irons is substantial enough.
I'm considering the Ci9s or the Di11s. The Ds are more forgoing but more expensive. I could get the Ci9s fitted for the same price as an unfit set if Di11s.

Make sense?

I'm considering the Ci9s or the Di11s. The Ds are more forgoing but more expensive. I could get the Ci9s fitted for the same price as an unfit set if Di11s.

Make sense?

Most places will fit you for free if you buy the clubs. I know Golfsmith and Dicks do. Check around other places.

I was planning to buy online because online the Di11s go for 3-340, whereas in any store they are 500ish

I wish I could say get the Ds but I think you be happier with the fit Cs....its all about how you feel. Good luck

After all I have read about fittings on THP the last year and 1/2 I wouldn't buy new clubs without a fitting. I had a driver fitting tonight and I learned a lot. I didn't make a final decision but i am headed in the right direction.

Well I certainly appreciate the responses. I haven't hit either club yet so well see. The Ci9s aren't even out anymore so I wonder how I'll test that out?

I think you guys answered my question. Basically I wanted to know if you thought that an OTS club with great reviews trumps a "lesser" (forgiving club) that's been fit. Sounds like the answer is no. Thanks again everyone

The fitting, always.

Sometimes forgiveness in a club works the opposite way it was intended.

Fitted! Why because I have done both already!

Unless your overly tall/short or a low very handicap, I think spending extra money for club fitting is a waste money. The exception to that is if your buying Ping equipment, it's worth getting fitted to the proper dot. Dealers shouldn't charge any extra for this though.

very low*

It is a no-brainer really. Fitted all the time, and who knows you may well end up with the more forgiving set anyway if they deem it the most suitable for you.

I play less forgiving irons that were fitted to me. Fitting always first. Clubs have to fit to you in order for you to receive optimal forgiveness.

Usually when I'm fit I have a couple to pick from (like a few sets that are close at the top) and depending on my skill level at the time would help me decide what set I would buy. Or if I wanted to challenge myself to get better I might get a less forgiving club.

I doubt that I will ever buy any more clubs that are not fitted to me.

my swing is not consolidated enough to probably appreciate the differences in shaft.
but i decided to get fit to my size (i got my irons +1" and 2 degrees up). i don't know if the stock shaft is the very best for me, but i am very sure that i got great benefit from my choice.

by the way, i did not pay anything extra for my clubs. i even got golfpride multicompound grips for 5 dollars each thrown in the deal.

by the way, how can you get fit (except for measures) without trying them out?

Back