Rory McIlroy Splits From Chubby Chandler

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Just as the title says. It is being reported that Rory has left the Chubby Chandler camp and is headed to Horizon Sports. They represent a few of his countrymen including G-Mac. Ernie Els also left Chubby's camp earlier this year.

Interesting. Perhaps Chubby doesn't have the reach to make the big bucks Rory covets?

Looks like GMac has a little more sway than Westy. I really liked the article I read about Chubby in GD. He sounded like a good influence. My guess is Rory picked money over influence

Wow I thought Chubby had a tidy house. I guess Horizon will take Rory to the next level

That is interesting. Rory's attire is already plastered with endorsement deals. This tells me that Rory might be preparing for more golf on the PGA Tour.

Jason Sobel reporting about a potential Rory split from ISM. Ernie Els left them earlier this year. Chubby sold off 75% of his stake in ISM in 2010 (just before Oosty won the Open). Amazing that he sold right before 3 of his guys won majors. So could this be the sign that things at ISM are not going well? Where there's smoke, there may be fire.

Here's more on the sale of the unit by Chubby

Most head turning thing in the article (to me) is that Shane McMahon (of WWE 'fame') was one of the guys who bought Chubby's share.

That is interesting. Rory's attire is already plastered with endorsement deals. This tells me that Rory might be preparing for more golf on the PGA Tour.

I would like to see him come over on this side of the pond a bit more.

I would like to see him come over on this side of the pond a bit more.

I agree. Perhaps this is what he needs to do in order to make that happen?

Tappin' from my iPad!

i think he was originally planning on playing the uspga tour next season anyway...whether he stayed with chubby or not.i'm surprised at this,i didn't realise there was anything wrong and that chubby sold off some of the business.

Interesting. Perhaps Chubby doesn't have the reach to make the big bucks Rory covets?

I like that line of thinking

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

That actually surprises me. I guess Chubby just couldn't bring Rory to the next level. I hope he gets more involved on the PGA Tour. I'm curious to see where his career goes from here.

Are some of these posts for real? How has Chubby not taken Rory to the next level? He's won a Major, he's the poster boy in Europe, and I'm sure he's making ridiculous money. This all screams that Rory's heading for a full time schedule on the PGA Tour and dropping the guy who's a massive proponent of the Euro Tour probably makes that easier.

I'd be willing to bet my house that Rory plays the PGA tour next season.

Sounds like Rory is ready to step up his competition finally. Good move if that actually pans out.

~Don't drink and tapatalk~

my reasoning is that he wants someone who has the reach of Chubby here in the US like he had in Europe

Are some of these posts for real? How has Chubby not taken Rory to the next level? He's won a Major, he's the poster boy in Europe, and I'm sure he's making ridiculous money. This all screams that Rory's heading for a full time schedule on the PGA Tour and dropping the guy who's a massive proponent of the Euro Tour probably makes that easier.

Sounds like Rory is ready to step up his competition finally. Good move if that actually pans out.

He even said himself recently that the US schedule and courses suit him way better. I'd say he struggles to compete in Europe, but even with that, he's still 2nd on the money list. He just doesn't seem to enjoy the adverse conditions, and throws the towel in too early when faced with them.

More play in the states. Didn't he recenly take up membership at some club in Florida?

this makes way too much sense and is far too rational for a Euro....could the real Paulo please come to the white courtesy phone?

He even said himself recently that the US schedule and courses suit him way better. I'd say he struggles to compete in Europe, but even with that, he's still 2nd on the money list. He just doesn't seem to enjoy the adverse conditions, and throws the towel in too early when faced with them.

this makes way too much sense and is far too rational for a Euro....could the real Paulo please come to the white courtesy phone?

Just continuing my campaign to get a few folks on my side before I unleash the Euro fury! It's got to be a good one, cos we can't run too fast in skinny jeans.

Agreed. It has been widely rumored/publicized that chubby was the individual instigating much of the "only euro tour" position. I am not surprised that Rory woud drop him... Chubby can hang out with Paul Casey now if he wants.

I'd vote for Rory to stay in Europe. Although this might point to him playing more in the states. There is nothing I enjoy about Rory McIlroy.

It's gotta be play on the US Tour rather than money. He just signed a huge deal with Santander and I think he made more in Europe in 2009 than he's ever made in the US.

If he is wanting even more attention then I can see his game going backwards as he gets busier with other opportunities.

However, I find this being news as odd as all the caddy talk lately. It was just a business decision, minor one IMO, similar to caddy changes, and, in the end, none of us will notice a difference. His exposure level was gonna increase dramatically next year anyway as he said he was gonna play more over here. Besides, it was Rory making Chubby rich not Chubby making Rory rich.

Back