River Forest Golf Club, Forsyth, GA

T0AD

2023, you're my last hope
Reaction score
Handicap
lots
Played a course I've wanted to play for years today, thanks to MaryC's invite. Also along for the ride was OG and KB and a fantastic day of sunshine and breezes.
As you pull into the clubhouse parking lot, the first hole is to your right, and the sheer appearance of the first fairway and the surroundings about make you drive into the curb.
The course was really in very good shape, and being one of the early birds, there was still some dew out there when we started. The staff was really friendly and helpful and the clubhouse is striking when you pull up and see it on the hill.
Before I post up what few pictures I took, I'll say again, the course looked amazing. The greens were running true, had deceptive breaks, and were pretty well maintained (outside those few people that can't seem to bend over and fix marks!). The fairways looked great, too, since they use green sand mix and it blends in perfectly with the turf. Although the course is in prime Georgia red clay country, the course is built on some quality soil and I never saw a trace of red within the confines of the field of play. I know it sounds dumb, but so many courses here have issues with hard turf and club interaction. Not here, not at all.
As for design, I was pretty shocked to read on their website that the course superintendent designed the layout as I felt it was both beautiful and challenging without being punitive or 'over the top'. From their website: The course cleverly incorporates Georgia’s natural granite formations as hazards, along with carefully thought out water features and other bunkers. Simply told, it was, in my opinion, one of the better layouts I've played and is friendly to the weekender as well as the scratch player because there are a few options on how to play the holes as you make your way around this gorgeous property.
Here are those pictures, in no particular order:

2012-05-27083445.jpg

2012-05-27083429.jpg

DSC005151024x574.jpg

DSC00518878x1024.jpg

DSC005191024x622.jpg

DSC005211024x514.jpg

DSC00522768x800.jpg

DSC005231024x575.jpg

DSC005251024x702.jpg

DSC005261024x607.jpg

DSC005271024x575.jpg

DSC005281024x626.jpg

DSC005301024x575.jpg

DSC005311024x575.jpg

DSC005321024x577.jpg

DSC005331024x512.jpg

DSC005341024x561.jpg

DSC005351024x575.jpg

DSC005361024x542-1.jpg

DSC005381024x575.jpg

2002-12-081200001.jpg

Thanks again, for the invite, the friendship, and the beautiful Sunday on the course.

Great pics TOAD.

I might add that T0AD played some awesome golf today on this beautiful layout! Solid ball striking and if he could have had better luck on some of those tricky greens, he could have broke 40 easy on the front nine. We are talking about a championship golf course that is no piece of cake, so his play should be commended :clapp:

Great pics T0AD! I need to get over there sometime.

Wowing sounds and looks like a great time!!

Sent from my iPhone

Great pics T0AD, that is a great course, I haven't played there in quite some time but I agree with what you had to say about it. It is the nicest course I have played in central Georgia outside of the Reynolds Plantation/Lake Oconee area. Nice shooting buddy.

Nice photos T0AD, thanks. Those pics make me want to make a day trip south after we get back from Alaska. Good playing too, glad yall had a good day.

Are those large fans near the greens? I've never seen that before.

Looks very nice. What are the big fans for next to the greens in some of the pictures? To dry them off?

Ken

Nice pics Toad, and very good looking course!

Courses in the deep south with bent grass greens usually have fans, to keep a good circulation on the green surface. Bent does not do well in 90+ degree heat, and commonly fans and misting systems are employed to keep the surface cooler.

Courses in the deep south with bent grass greens usually have fans, to keep a good circulation on the green surface. Bent does not do well in 90+ degree heat, and commonly fans and misting systems are employed to keep the surface cooler.

Thanks, I've never seen them before. Do the fans run all the time?

Especially when combined with a misting system, they have a strong resemblance to snowmaking machines!

Ken

Love this course. Also love those fans...last time I played it I think it was like 98 degrees and I was dripping sweat but standing in front of one of those big fans feels like a dream! haha

Excited I get to play here at River Forest tomorrow morning . I've been wanting to play it for a while and one of my friends who is a member has a member for a day pass for me .Gonna be the best $32 round iv'e had in a while .

You will love it! It's my favorite course in the middle GA.

You will love it! It's my favorite course in the middle GA.
Looking forward to it . Did you get a chance to play Hickory Ridge in Thomaston before it closed ? It was my favorite for middle Ga. River Forest can easily become my favorite (if all goes well).

Never played that one but I've heard it was nice.

Looking forward to it . Did you get a chance to play Hickory Ridge in Thomaston before it closed ? It was my favorite for middle Ga. River Forest can easily become my favorite (if all goes well).

I've played Hickory Ridge a couple of times and it was a fun course. River Forest is a real gym in excellent condition and beautiful scenery!

I've played Hickory Ridge a couple of times and it was a fun course. River Forest is a real gym in excellent condition and beautiful scenery!
Yes , River Forest looks like a beauty .I play Heron bay and Sun City pretty often and love those ,But my member friends say RF is much better.

Jealous here. Have fun.

Oh my lord I have died and gone to heaven . What an incredible golf course , an absolute THP must play. If you get within 100 miles of this jewel go play it . The absolute best course I've played in a while since going to Myrtle Beach.Can't belive there is a course that sweet within 25 miles of me . The place is absolutley stunning not a piece of grass out of place and fairways that should only be allowed in heaven . The only small flaw i could fine is from previous players not repairing ball marks , they are taking effect on the greens in certain areas . No holes were cut close to the affected areas but the greens will need some love from un repaired divots. Started out first 6 holes with pars then got a birdie,bogey,bogey for a front 9 of 37 and thought wow could it be a record day for me . Then the wheels feel off . Started the back 9 with a double , bogey, double ..yep the wheels were off ,then got 3 pars in a row then 3 more bogeys for a back 9 of 46 for a total of 83. After the front 9 i had my hopes on going low but settled up where i usually am mid 80's . But i wouldn't have cared if i shot 95 just being in a place like that was worth the $32 it cost . To all THP'ers if your anywhere near this place , go play it .

Attachments

• rfo.jpg
    rfo.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
  • riverfor.jpg
    riverfor.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0
  • river.jpg
    river.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0
  • riverforest.jpg
    riverforest.jpg