Yani Tseng wants to play against the men

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Did we not already go through this a few times?

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2011/10/31/321473/Taiwans-Yani.htm

Excerpt from the full article:

World No. 1 female golfer Yani Tseng revealed for the first time Saturday that she is interested in entering a PGA Tour event to learn from her male peers.
“If an opportunity presents itself, I would like to play in a PGA tournament to learn more from male golfers,” the Taiwanese star said after the second round of the Suzhou Taihu Ladies Open in China.
Some golf pundits have recently suggested that Tseng, after having “a season for the ages in 2011,” take her immense talent to the PGA Tour.
Prominent LPGA players such as retired Swedish “golf queen” Annika Sorenstam and American Michelle Wie have played in PGA Tour events, but neither made the cut in any of the tournaments they played.
Yahoo Sports writer Shane Bacon said earlier this week that Tseng should not be discouraged by those results because her ability to combine distance and short-game skills sets her apart from Sorenstam and Wie.
“She hits it long, makes a lot of putts, and seems downright dominant over women's golf right now,” said Bacon, who has said that Yani needs more media attention because she was too good not to be a bigger story.
“Playing on the PGA Tour might just help her achieve that needed spotlight,” he said.
Responding to a CNA question on the idea, Tseng said she would just play for fun if she were given a chance to play in a PGA-sanctioned tournament.

“I wouldn't care about the results because I'd just want to enjoy the feeling of playing with guys and learning from them to further improve my skills,” Tseng said.

She should. She sounds like one, and from a distance, looks like one.

She won 11 times this year I believe. That is dominance like we have rarely seen.

For some reason, I actually think she could hang with the guys.

Id like to see her go for it. She has the right mindset, all the wants to do is improve.

She should stick to her own tour. We've seen this before and it always ends ugly. No thanks.

Tapatalked by Siri on my iphone4

If she's really doing it for what she says the experience and learning from the mens tour then I say go for it.

Didn't Annika go on a crazy good stretch of gold after playing in her event?

I could see her having a chance tbh...She has the power needed to be there but has a short game better then a lot on the mens tour.

I say why not. If someone wants to invite her, then she should be able to take a place. I believe she'd do ok, but I also believed Annika could have done ok but for a big factor....nerves. I imagine it's a pressure like no other.

I hope she doesnt, its just going to be another sideshow.

Oh jeeze.

i don't see why not,it ain't going to harm anyone and if she can hang with the guys then well done to her.i would like to see her play a few though because if she misses the cut at the first one then that doesn't really mean she can't do it.....

Here we go again....I just don't see the point to this.

Question for you guys. How would one of the men ranked between 40-50 in the world rankings do against the women? Contend every week? Dominate every week?

Question for you guys. How would one of the men ranked between 40-50 in the world rankings do against the women? Contend every week? Dominate every week?

Tiger would barely make the cut

EDIT: Oops he wouldn't qualify, WR 56

Its not the same thing for two reasons though.

1. The mens tour is not looked at as an inferior product. Most casual fans would never tune in to see Tseng play and she believes it is the biggest test there is. Its a compliment to the mens tour to see the most dominant player of womens golf tee it up in her prime against the tour.

2. Rules state she can play on the mens tour, rules also state that men cannot play on the womens tour.

I'd be ok with it, but it's really gotta be the right course for her to have any chance. A 7400 yard long course isn't going to do her any good. She can belt it out there at the LPGA tees, but back it up to a course several hundred yards longer and she's gonna have some trouble.

Now, if you put her on a course like Harbour Town at under 7000 yards ? Some of the smallest greens on tour, so everyone's gonna be scrambling. Little more level playing field. Short course, everyone's gonna have wedges (even her) in their hands on some of the par 4's? Better odds for her as well. She'd have the best chance at courses like that.

FWIW, Annika didn't play tee to green poorly but struggled big time with the putter. She picked a bad time to go cold.

Should she not then go to Q-School and qualify that way?

I say do it. It would be interesting to watch, and I'd be curious to see the results.

Its not the same thing for two reasons though.

1. The mens tour is not looked at as an inferior product. Most casual fans would never tune in to see Tseng play and she believes it is the biggest test there is. Its a compliment to the mens tour to see the most dominant player of womens golf tee it up in her prime against the tour.

2. Rules state she can play on the mens tour, rules also state that men cannot play on the womens tour.

Thanks for the reply, JB. I guess my thought on it is that I don't agree with rule number 2. But, I guess it is a good thing it is there....

Should she not then go to Q-School and qualify that way?

If she was trying to get on tour, then yes. But there are lots of guys that play in PGA Tour events that dont qualify through Q School and live off of exemptions like John Daly, Mike Weir and David Duval

So how exactly would this happen? Sponsors exemption?

Tapatalked by Siri on my iPhone 4

Yes we have been down this road before with a young girl that has not amounted to the expectation we all had. By Annika, bless her heart didn't have the distance that Yani has. The name of the game is birdies and lots of them. Yani has that in spades. She hits long and straight, has a great short game and makes tons of putts. her dominance over the past year is un heard of, she is winning everything she enters lately. I think with the Cleveland Black driver and R11 irons she could win an event...hehehe..but seriously I like her chances of really competing. And wanting to learn and play with the best is what alot of golfer strive for. Anyone of us would play with her if she invited us and would gleen what ever we could from her. She wants to do the same......

Back